Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Orchestra 2 : Heroes of Stalingrad (PC)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

I,m tempted to buy,wont be able to for a wk or 2 though but is it worth the 30 odd euro?

How patient are you? What sort of shooters do you like? What are your main gripes of modern day shooters?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Stev_o wrote: »
    How patient are you? What sort of shooters do you like? What are your main gripes of modern day shooters?

patient enough,I'd love to get into a good tactical shooter,hated cod,bf2 etc,then again I found arma 2 hard to get into.

patient enough,I'd love to get into a good tactical shooter,hated cod,bf2 etc,then again I found arma 2 hard to get into.

RO is somewhere inbetween BF and Arma. It is a horrible unforgiving game when it comes to dying in fact you'll die a lot and really on the best of days you may get 6/8 kills in a round.

It is probably the most atmospheric multiplayer FPS out there and you generally will be afraid of going around corners and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Not worth full retail price in its current state imo.
    Some things like unlocks/leveling arent working. Still crashing for some people and some people have performance problems. If they fixed all this it would probably be worth 30 euro, maybe, not much more than that.

Im enjoying it myself, played about 50 hours in the last week, just with all the extra problems if i had a choice id wait a while before everything is fixed before giving them money, or maybe hoping for a bit of a price drop.

It's not as tough as ArmA to get into, i mean you wont be travelling for 10 minutes 10km to get instantly killed by someone you cant see, you spawn straight in the action then just run to cap points or whatever. But at the start youll probably be getting killed out of nowhere by snipers as its a pretty heavy camping game , just need to figure out the levels, where not to run, where to smoke and where to camp.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Sounds like you will enjoy it.
    €30 is more than worth it,best multiplayer fps ive played in years!!! no exaggeration.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Is the co-op game mode any good?

Spunge wrote: »
    It's not as tough as ArmA to get into, i mean you wont be travelling for 10 minutes 10km to get instantly killed by someone you cant see

...Well at least I wasn't missing something playing it.

I taught maybe I was doing something wrong and that it couldn't possibly take so much effort to reach the battles.

I played one night for well over an hour without even firing my weapon.

I loved the potential but getting into the action just seemed like too much hassle, so glad this has the good points of that without the gaps.

I'll see if any shops have it Friday, steam is too dear compared to Zavvi(E21 delivered versus E35) and tbh require topping up the pre-paid card which is a cost in itself.

How many maps are there?.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Off topic but Arma is the greatest game ever.....

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Off topic but Arma is the greatest game ever.....

Arma 3 will be the best game ever. I'm actually thinking about the PC I'm gonna need to build to play it.

Reviews starting to surface.

from gnd-tech.com

Tripwire Interactive wanted to create an immersive, realistic war game and they did not fail with Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad. The gameplay mechanics, graphics and sound play out to the game's advantage. The FPS mechanics are the best I've ever experienced, the graphics are gritty and realistic especially with the "war movie" post processing setting and the sound effects will blow you away.

http://www.gnd-tech.com/content/768-Red-Orchestra-2-Heroes-of-Stalingrad-Review

from gamespy

Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad is the kind of shooter that can live only on the PC. It's far deeper than console shooters, and makes no concessions to accessibility to appeal to a casual audience. This is as hardcore as first person shooters get, and if you're prepared to put the time in to learn how to play it well, you'll be rewarded with a level of satisfaction that team deathmatch will never deliver. With the promise of free DLC on the horizon, as well as two Total Conversions already well into development, the game's life should prove to be as long as it is varied.

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/red-orchestra-heroes-of-stalingrad/1194575p1.html

steam contests review

http://www.steamcontests.com/2011/09/review-red-orchestra-2-heroes-of-stalingrad/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,389 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

So rang my local gamestop and they told me they are not getting it in

useless *****

Even their website doesnt have it

Looks like Amazon is the way to go.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

You can get it for Green Man Gaming for 30

You can get it for Green Man Gaming for 30

38 on their website

I dont like downloading games tbh cherry

out of interest how big is the file ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Headshot wrote: »
    38 on their website

I dont like downloading games tbh cherry

out of interest how big is the file ?

7972 megs on Steam.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

File is just a smidgen under 6gb

EDIT: According to Spear is under 8GB but mine was under 6. Probably because I had the beta downloaded already

EDIT: According to Spear is under 8GB but mine was under 6. Probably because I had the beta downloaded already

****ing hell lol

I dread to think how long will my 3mb broadband will take to download 8gb

****ing hell lol

I dread to think how long will my 3mb broadband will take to download 8gb

Took me 5 hours on 3 meg,leave it overnight tbh.

Dcully wrote: »
    Took me 5 hours on 3 meg,leave it overnight tbh.

that's not bad

I might actually get my first digital copy then.

Prefer hard copy all day long but hate waiting for a game to be delivered

Would G2Play be the best place to get it?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I also have the beta installed though.

• Advertisement

Even if you bought the hard copy, its probably very out of date as they would have pressed it weeks ago, and they were releasing patches till the very last minute, so you'd most likely be downloading a few GB of data either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭jackoire

that's not bad

I might actually get my first digital copy then.

Prefer hard copy all day long but hate waiting for a game to be delivered

Would G2Play be the best place to get it?

cjs-cdkeys are doing it for 19.27e (standard edition) 24 (digital deluxe)
    http://www.cjs-cdkeys.com/products/Red-Orchestra%3A-Heroes-of-Stalingrad-%252d-STEAM-CD-KEY-SCAN.html?setCurrencyId=3
    g2play.net 25e (unknown version) probably standard
    http://www.g2play.net/store/Red-Orchestra-2-Heroes-of-Stalingrad-Steam-Key-Pre-order.html
    keys4me are do standard edition for 20e (confirmed edition by support chat)
    http://www.keys4.me/red-orchestra-2-heroes-of-stalingrad-cd-key.html

Might as well just get the standard version if you are you will unlock the free guns in DDE version in no time, it was worth it for the beta.

Sorry to go OT guys.
    jackoire ive used G2play many times without issues.
    Im just wondering if the other two sites are ok?
    If so ill bookmark them for future purchases.

Back on topic, check out this thread on the official forums, fupping epic or what!
    http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=51522

Patch incoming today plus official word for those suffering performance issues.

Everyone,

I wanted to make everyone aware first off that we're hard at work addressing the issues that have been discovered since the launch. Additionally, we'll be releasing the first patch for the game today in just a little while. This patch will address among other things:

- fixing the day 1 unlocks not working
    - spawn menu looping bug
    - various crash fixes
    - decreased AI MG accuracy for vehicle AI

To be quite frank with you it has taken us a little longer than usual to get an update out post launch. Without going into the boring technical details, the patching functionality built into UE3 is heavily geared toward consoles. So we've struggled a bit working out how to properly do patches on the PC, without requiring a massive download. Anyone in the beta remembers that every update for the beta was fairly large, and this is the reason why. We had thought we had all of this worked out before the final release, but that was not the case.

So rather than saddle you all with a multi-gig download for a small code patch, we've been slaving away on the patching system to get this issue resolved. Fortunately, it looks like we've finally cracked this issue, and will be able to deliver code patches to you all now without requiring overly large downloads.

So once again, you will see an update today, and many more to come. Thank you for your patience while we work diligently to get these issues resolved for you.

Regarding performance

We're working diligently on performance, but improvements/fixes for performance are going to take a bit longer. The fact of the matter is, as a PC game we really pushed the boundaries on the game's content. I know a lot of people have said things like "well I can run game X at 100 FPS on the highest settings." Well that may be true, but game X is most likely a console port and designed to run on a much lower spec machine than RO2. Honestly gamers have gotten a little too used to console ports designed to run on 4-5 year old kit. Everyone talks about the golden age of PC games in the 90's. Well back in that golden age it was very common for a new game to come out that pushed the hardware curve, and people would just update to keep ahead.

Others have said "but I think game X looks much better than RO2, I don't understand why RO2 runs worse." Beauty is in the eye of the beholder of course, and whether someone thinks game X looks better than RO2 is usually down to whether people like our visual style. We don't go over the top with most effects, while other game studios make EVERYTHING from dirt to concrete shine like it's covered in vasoline or go crazy with their post processing. But at the end of the day, when you boil it down to cold hard data, RO2 is pushing more polygons, models, and shaders than most (if not all) other shooters currently on the market. To put it another way, there may be other games that are pushing more details on smaller levels, but we're pushing lots of detail in much larger levels than other games are doing.

With that said, there are improvements that can still be made, and there are things we could have done better before launch. In all of our testing internally the the game was running great on a wide range of hardware (for example, I have a five year old AMD FX-60 dual core with an 8800 sitting next to me that runs the game at a solid 50 frames per second). But as we have learned during the beta and launch there are certain types of PC configurations (even very powerful ones) that are struggling to run the game at a good framerate. So here is what we are working on to address these issues:

Level art optimization: for our levels we tuned our visual detail based on the test hardware we had in our offices. And for these machines the game ran great. But it turns out there are certain CPU's/video cards that frankly just choke on the number of objects we're throwing at them to render (even high end ones). It isn't that this hardware is bad, it just has different strengths/weaknesses than the hardware we developed the game for. So over the coming weeks we're going to be optimizing the levels to have less visible objects in view at one time, which should greatly increase the performance on these levels. Since this is a pretty extensive operation, it will take some time, and what you will likely see is us roll through 1 map at a time releasing an optimized version of each map.

General optimizations: we'll also continue to work on general optimizations to the engine/codebase itself. Some improvements will happen right away, others will be ongoing. This will be ongoing until we get to the point where we feel the majority of users are reasonably happy with the performance they are getting.

So how can you help? By getting us perflog dumps which will help us get the information we need to improve the performance. Please check out this link here for information on how to do this:

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.co...ad.php?t=61789

The more information we have, the easier it will be to track down these issues. So thank you for your patience while we get these issues sorted. And rest assured we're hard at work to make that happen.

Any that's why I love one platform-orientated developers.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭jackoire

Dcully wrote: »
    Sorry to go OT guys.
    jackoire ive used G2play many times without issues.
    Im just wondering if the other two sites are ok?
    If so ill bookmark them for future purchases.

Back on topic, check out this thread on the official forums, fupping epic or what!
    http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=51522

I have used keys4me a few times they are my favorite online key store seller. There the only seller with live support, they have it on there site and steam and xfire contact also have forums too.

Cjs-cdkeys are supposed to have an instant key system, i tryed order from them ages ago but they wanted ID so i canceled and sent them an email saying i purchased from keys4me for cheaper. They refunded me my money and gave me the difference from my purchase.

G2play are not always the cheapest and at least the other two support people are fluent in English.

Cjs and keys4.me are UK sellers.

Check steamunpowered.eu forums for all keyseller sites.

Playing this game with a friend = one of the greatest gaming experiences ever. Nothing better then out witting idiot campers. Shoot and move my friends shoot and move.

i love playing commander, throwing 4 smoke, run in to cap, camp and spray enemies who come in. Free kills

Yet another top review.

http://www.gamersguidetolife.com/2011/09/review-red-orchestra-2-heroes-of.html
    Battlfield 3 will bring us shooting. Beautiful shooting on an epic scale, yes, but shooting none the less. Modern Warfare 3 will bring us chaos on a disc. Both those titles are distinctly different, yet still go through the same old routines. But Red Orchestra 2 is unexpected; it's unpredictable and totally unique, taking a refreshingly mature approach to game design. If you're getting tired of the same old FPSs, Tripwire's latest is a masterpiece and nothing less. And whilst everybody places their bets on Battlefield 3 to trump Call of Duty, spare a thought for Red Orchestra 2. It just might surprise you.

• Advertisement

lads anyone up for a few games at midnight?

Advertisement