Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Orchestra 2 : Heroes of Stalingrad (PC)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Man, playing tank commander with AI is just free kills all over the place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

got six kills in 1 round, yay

it's a good game, but incredibly ****ing frustrating
    spending ages slowly moving from cover to cover, trying to stay hidden.. to get in a good spot and then some **** runs around a corner and mows me down

• Registered Users Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭Wossack

aye, i just saw a list a few posts up :)

just ordered off keys4.me .. waiting on the key now

I paid using paypal, anyone know how long it oughta take to get the key?

Made the right choice with keys4.me by the looks of it... still waiting on a key since 6pm yesterday from cjs-cdkeys. Service has been absolutely abysmal, and would very much discourage people from using them in future. :(

Is there any particular server you guys play on ?

this thing keeps killing my internet connection :/

the steam server browser seems to work fine, but if I use the ingame one everything just goes to ****

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Griffin87

Wossack wrote: »
    Made the right choice with keys4.me by the looks of it... still waiting on a key since 6pm yesterday from cjs-cdkeys. Service has been absolutely abysmal, and would very much discourage people from using them in future. :(

same here i ordered of this crowd and still wating. i requested a refund and ordered of http://www.cdkeyport.com/.

I have activated the game now took less than 10mins

oh and it only cost $19.50

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Spunge wrote: »

IOGC.co.uk server. Great server, lag free and good people on it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Spunge wrote: »

As Stev_o mentioned IOGC is good, as is 116th,TWB,I PARA,old gits having fun,Coffin Dodger , loads of good communities and servers in fairness.

had a look but couldnt see IOGC in the server list, load of good ping servers though so happy enough

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭jackoire

Anyone up for a game later?
    We could go on TS and get a a squad going.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I'll be up for it

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

yep

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Should be around

this thing keeps killing my internet connection :/

the steam server browser seems to work fine, but if I use the ingame one everything just goes to ****

Same as myself, when I can't connect and have to exit out/in my internet stops working... fairly annoying.

Thought the Internet thing was just me - I'm on UPC

What are folks doing to fix it?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Stupid sound went after an hours play. Got 39 kills in the last map too, I'm raging :(

I dont know if I can keep playing a game i'm this ****ing terrible at

im fine on the smaller maps, but the larger maps like that one withthe church.. I've played it near 20 times now and I've only once actually made it to the church before dying

I get into cover, I scan the area carefully.. I look for enemy soldiers and i see none, then soon as I make a move to get to more cover I get shot. the rare times I actually manage to spot an enemy, I take 5 shots at him with my rifle and he just laughs it off and headshots me.

Wossack wrote: »
    Thought the Internet thing was just me - I'm on UPC

What are folks doing to fix it?

thread over on the forums about it

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=63340

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Right lets get some basic tips out of the way, since there is no manual.
    Next post we can talk tactics.

Telling friends from foe:
    If you see a name above a players head, he's a friendly don't shoot.
    If your Axis, shoot at the guys in brownish uniforms.
    If your Allies, shoot at the guys in the greenish/greyish uniform.
    Germans carry their guns one handed when sprinting. The Russians carry them 2 handed when sprinting. (Historically accurate) You can can some times tell silhouettes apart by this fact.
    Also learning the general direction of where the enemy comes from will help over time.

Resupply
    Check the map for resupply points if your low on ammo.
    You can resupply the MG class by pressing the right ctrl key when near them.
    If your low on ammo you can pick up a weapon from fallens solider with the right ctrl key. You can drop your current weapon with backspace.

Versatility
    All classes should attempt to pick up a secondary weapon to offset the deficiencies of there primary weapon.
    If your a rifleman, elite rifleman, sniper anti tank gunner or MG you should look to pick up a sub machine gun from either fallen friendly or fallen foes. Squad leader, engineers, assault class should look to pick up rifles. This way your good at both ranged and close range combat.

Objectives
    Press T for tactical mode, to see the direction of your next objective an icon appears on screen.
    Alturnatively press M for the map to show you your own location and the objectives location .

i have never once lived long enough to run out of ammo :/

• Advertisement

Classes

Assault
    Sub machine gun equipped troops. Offensive based. Good for taking objectives and clearing buildings. Rubbish at long range.

Riflemen
    Make up the bulk of the players. There role is one of defense and supporting offensives made by an assault squad. They are obviously best suited to ranged combat. They are not suited to house to house fighting and clearing buildings.

Elite Riflemen
    Superior rate of fire makes them much better overall than standard riflem, buts it normally a restriced classed so they are only a few. While best suited to a defense and support role there much more versatile than standard riflemen and are a viable offensive option and should be used as such.

MG
    Support class. Medium to long range support. Good for supressing opponents.

Squad Leader
    Sub machine gun equipped. Big feature is he is a mobile spawn point. These allows fire teams to keep the pressure up when assaulting an objective, even when taking looses. He should stay a little behind the main assault in cover. He can also provide cover with his smoke grenade. Can also mark atillery targets for commanders.

Anti Tank
    Dedicated to knocking out tanks at medium to longe range. He's vulnerable to infantry and needs protection. Anti tank rifle is ineffective against frontal armor. Needs to attack from side or better yet the rear.

Engineer
    Sub machine makes him a good option for fire teams. Has close range anti tank options.

Sniper
    Support class operates outside of squads, but should communicate with squads to get target locations.

Commander
    Submachine gun. Should use his abilites at radio stations. Can call into recon planes, but must stay at radio post for positions of enemies to filter down to his troops. Recon plane only spots targets outside of buildings.
    Can mark artillery targets or select artillery targets marked by squad leaders and then call in artillery from radio posts. Can also force respawn if there is a need to pressure objectives. Between the cool down peroid of his ability he does well in fire teams thanks to his sub machine gun. When the cool down timer ends he can go back to using his support abilities.

Tanks/Tank Crew
    Equipped with armor piercing rounds for anti tank options and high exploxive rounds for anti infantry. Its primary threat is enemy tanks. They should be eliminated first. Frontal armor offers greatest protection. Armor protection at the side is weaker but the amour is weakest at the rear and the top plate. Tracks are vulnerable to being disabled. Should also keep the tanks front facing the most serious dangers. The tank should be used to support infantry assaults, particualry on targets in the open. It can provide mobile cover to advancing infantry. It should always have infantry support to protect itself from close range dangers like engineers.

Azza wrote: »

Versatility
    All classes should attempt to pick up a secondary weapon to offset the deficiencies of there primary weapon.
    If your a rifleman, elite rifleman, sniper anti tank gunner or MG you should look to pick up a sub machine gun from either fallen friendly or fallen foes. Squad leader, engineers, assault class should look to pick up rifles. This way your good at both ranged and close range combat.
    objectives location .

Why didnt i think of this, derp.

Tactics

Squads are 10 men in size. If you can fill a squad it should be split into 2.

Fire Team
    The first 5 members.
    Consists of the squad leader and as many assault troops as it can muster. If you can't get assault class, engineers and elitemen riflemen are good subsitutes. Use riflemen only if your stuck.
    The purpose of the fire team is assaults. Taking and holding objectives, clearing building and withstanding any counter attack until the support team arrives in behind them to hold the position. Once the position is secure they can move on to taking the next objective. The squad leader is of extreme importance. He should take part in the assault but should stay a little behind the others. He's there as a mobile spawn point so his assault squad can spawn back in with him if they die and enable them to maintain pressure on an objective. Its also his job to make the call back to the support team, when its time to move up and defend the newly captured objective. He also provides cover smoke for the assault.

The 5 members should have their own coms channel seperate to the support team. The squad leader should be set up to be able to communicate with the fire team and the support team independent of each other.

If there is 2 objectives that can be taken at one time. The fire team should focus on one objective at a time.

Support Team
    The other 5 consist of riflemen and a MG. There puprose is to defend an objective and provide fire support and supression of the enemy as the fire team makes its advance on its next objective. Once the fire team takes an objective, the support team gets a call from the squad leader to advance on and to hold and defend the newly captured objective and provide support for the fire teams next assault and so on and so.

Again they should have there own communications channel seperate from the fire team. It should have an unoffical support team leader who can communicate with the fire team if the support team feels it needs the fire teams assistance in defending an objective.

Its not as vital for the support team to spawn with the squad leader. Where ever they respawn they should move as quickly as possible to the objective they are currently defending.

The emphasis on each squad will depend on weather the map is wide open or has lots of confined spaces. On open maps riflemen will be vital for covering and suppressing enemies as the fire team makes it assault. Tight maps with lots of buildings will obviously favour the assault class. After an objective is successfully taken and the support squad moves into hold it. Its advisable that time is given for the support squad to get set up to support the fire teams next assault. The fire team should regroup and re-organzie before the next assault.

The support team has the more boring role buts its going be pretty vital. The support team may not be in a position to support a the fire team's assault from its current defensive objective. It should be flexible enough to move into a position to support the fire team, but at the same time position itself in a way that any counter attack to reclaim the current area the support team is holding will have to pass through the support teams position to get there. You don't have to defend the actual position from right on top of it. You can defend in front of it if your confident no one is going to get around. In the event that some enemys do sneak by. The support team should move back in numbers to clear the objective.

If your required to defend two objectives. The support team should split itself evenly as it can between 2 objectives. If 1 section of the Support team sees a large attack incoming it should request support from the other section of the support team. Each section should be prepared toto move rapidly to where its needed.

Snipers
    Operates independent of squads and used in a supporting role. It should have the ability to communicate with both squads though and should be used to soften up enemy strong points at range. Should be flexible to move to where he is needed. He's obviously not going take part in any assaults.

Anti tank
    Called in to deal with tanks. Should try as best as possible to hit tanks from side and rear. Should stay with whatever sqaud is closest to enemy tank. If he dies a freindly might be able to use the anti tank weapon. At close to medium range getting into an elevated position gives you an angle to aim at a tanks weaker top armor (flat armor on the top of the tank, not the turret).

Tanks
    Should be used to support fire teams in the open and provide them with mobile cover, who in turn should try to protect the tank from close range threats like engineers and spotting long range threats like anti tank rifles. Its vital that any enemy anti tank rifles are located as quickly as possible and dealt with.

Elminating enemy tanks is a number 1 priority, after that it should focus on supporting fire teams assault on objectives and not go off free roaming. Visiblity is limited so stay in communication with the support elements, support elimates should inform the tank crew of targets. If more than 1 tank, they should stick close together and operate as a team.

Use the Hull down technique to minimize the tanks profile.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hull-down

Commander
    Should use his supporting abilites as often as possible. Squad leaders should mark him targets. In between the cool down time on his abilities he can help out either the fire team or support team. Should have communication with all squad leaders.

Starting tactics
    If your on offense. Use the tatics as outlined aboved. If your on defense the first objective will be defended by both fire team and support team. When the first objective is lost the support team moves to the next defensive location while the fire team concentrates on retaking the next objective.
    If the game mode see you trying to capture as much territoy as possible. Rush the start and try and get as much ground as possible. After that organise into squads.

Voice communications
    Use it to point out targets to your teamates, to alert them to dangers etc. Use grid references for distant targets.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Meirleach

Anyone else having that odd problem, where everyone wants to go German? So the allied team ends up with people that don't know how to play, won't get in cap zones and just camp trying to get kills?

I've been going allies a lot to try even things out, but no one listens when you ask them to push on cap zones.

Just take a look at this screenshot, the German in 9th place...would be in 2nd position if he was on the allies side. I'm noticing this a lot lately, or maybe it's just the servers I'm playing on.

2011091800003.th.jpg

I don't know if its the balance or the players but i play exclusively Axis and i just checked my win/loss ratio and its 3:1. 27 wins : 7 losses. And its definitely not because of me coz i suck.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭jackoire

Its usually harder for allies to win, but I've seen good teams beat axis easily.
    If you rush a little with smoke cover you can capture points easily enough with a few good players.

Sitting back gets you trapped, axis then just sit back and you get picked off.
    Perfect example is maps like fallenfighters or Spartanovka.

I think people go Axis based on the fact that MP-40 and the StermGewher completely trump the Allies automatic weapons. Wait till they had the drum based PPSH cause the current one is awful. I do love the Magant though compared to the German rifle it feels a lot more fluid.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Meirleach

Stev_o wrote: »
    I think people go Axis based on the fact that MP-40 and the StermGewher completely trump the Allies automatic weapons. Wait till they had the drum based PPSH cause the current one is awful. I do love the Magant though compared to the German rifle it feels a lot more fluid.
    Fully agree with that, the mp40 is amazing even at ranges that seem like they should be beyond it. The STG44 is practically a deathray, really nice auto fire, and very little kick when fired semi-auto too.

The allies get the ppsh, which for some reason has no selectable semi auto fire mode, and the avt40...which kicks worse than the RO1 ppsh when fired full auto, and seems to jump around much worse than the STG in semi auto mode too.

Edit: Has anyone seen or unlocked a drum mag for the ppsh yet? I usually go bolt action so I'm nowhere near unlocking it yet.

I lol'd

302153_247884158580146_100000756904191_590119_2114182549_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Stingerbar

I've put in about 10 hours so far

In 15 years I've never experienced so many bugs and crashes in a finished game. Sound is excellent. Graphics are similar to many 5 yr old BF2 mods I've played with a few extra bells and whistles.

Undecided on gameplay, so much room for tactical realism, but still feels like I am moving in glue, grenade throwing is very unrealistic and unrewarding, and deathmatch is downright silly.

I sat in a longish room and near a cap point and killed a dozen guys because their grenades couldn't reach me, don't know how this is going to affect the game in the long run, anyway I'll keep plugging away, it has its moments.

Advertisement