Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

no free zones

• 25-06-2011 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

justed opened my 8/12 secure wave panel to find all zones full ,green and white wire in each and all power connected together in a connector.only have 7 pirs covering the whole house and would like to put other in garage,any help.164648.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 gabdoc

as you can see first time uploading pic,and last

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

You basically have two options gabdoc. You can series two beams together which isn't ideal or buy an expander as Altor recommended before.

I would also recommend you get an expander as there are no free zones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭John Kelly of

dont waste money buying expander. just stick 2 pirs together in same zone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

The four zone plug-on is fairly cheap. It will give you full zone options for that individual beam where as if two were joined together, what you programme for one you programme for the other too. It can be tricky to fault find too if there's more than one on the zone.

If money is really thight series two of them together, if it's not, get an expander and do it right.

Also, make sure you get a duel-tec beam for the garage a standard beam will false alarm alot.

nonsense, standard beams do not false alarm at all.
    if you want the garage on a seperate zone then stick 2 of the other ones in together.
    don't waste time and money getting an expander and then trying to figure out how to install it etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Are you speaking from an installers point of view?
    2 PiRs should not be on the same zone.
    The resistance is much higher so they would be more prone to false alarms.

well there is theory and there is practicality and you will get away with 2 pirs on the same zone 99% of the time. In the extremely unlikely event that it causes false alarms then you can always go out and buy an expander etc if and when that happens.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Are you a licensed installer John?
    Whether of not something is OK the majority of the time does not make it right.
    I could install 100 alarms & leave a window or door not covered. 99 of them may never be broken into. Does that make it OK? NO
    PiRs should not be wired in series on the one zone. That is not a theory.
    If you are going to be posting advice like that here I think you should clarify your experience level.

about 3000 alarms

So are you saying you are are a licenced installer and you are giving out advice like that?
    Also if you are going to be posting advice here as a licenced installer please verify this with me via PM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,756 ✭✭✭✭altor

gabdoc wrote: »
    justed opened my 8/12 secure wave panel to find all zones full ,green and white wire in each and all power connected together in a connector.only have 7 pirs covering the whole house and would like to put other in garage,any help.

Hi gabdoc,

I would not recommend to series two beams together. It will cause more problems than it is worth, it is not great advice for anyone to give.

You do have 2 options providing you have the engineer code off the panel.

1. Put a 4 zone expander on the alarm.
    2. Install two point ID modules to free up a zone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭Jnealon

KoolKid wrote: »
    The resistance is much higher so they would be more prone to false alarms.
    This statement does not make sense.

It's just bad practice to put 2 pirs on one zone

KoolKid wrote: »
    So are you saying you are are a licenced installer and you are giving out advice like that?
    Also if you are going to be posting advice here as a licenced installer please verify this with me via PM.
    Never said I was posting advice as a licenced installer. In this case the guy wants to do a simple diy job in his own house. He can stick 2 pirs in series if he likes with no eol at all and it will work just fine.
    Don't worry I won't post any more advice Koolkid.

Asking to put them in series is bad advice. Asking to wire without EOLs is worse.
    If you want to post advice like that that's fine but people need to be aware that its DIY advice you are giving as opposed to getting advice from the licenced professionals who post some very good advice here.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 gabdoc

Thanks for all the tips so far, probably go down the expander route, is this an add-on to the original panel or a stand alone panel? what else can this expander give me? how do i set it up and how much can i expect to pay for it
    thanks in advance

You can get the 4 zone plug on expander for about €40 .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,756 ✭✭✭✭altor

gabdoc wrote: »
    Thanks for all the tips so far, probably go down the expander route, is this an add-on to the original panel or a stand alone panel? what else can this expander give me? how do i set it up and how much can i expect to pay for it
    thanks in advance

Your welcome, sorry to see your last thread was locked as all you needed was a bit of advice.
    The 4 zone expander is the best solution as it will give you extra zones for the garage. If you decided to cover your windows and door aswell as put in a PIR it will give you more protection than just the PIR, which is best to do since you now have the extra zones.
    Cost wise less than €40 including vat for the expander, not sure if koolkid included vat on his price.

Advertisement