Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

non guardian traveling with child

• 25-06-2011 10:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭

Hi All

Just wondering if a non guardian travels abroad with a child is the passport of the child sufficient.

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭happydayz8

please help. child traveling soon. I've written a consent letter. Do you think that will be sufficient? Any input much appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Have you contacted the airline and customs? Have you the consent of both parents?

I'm sole guardian and giving my childs dad consent to travel. The airline said the passport on its own is enough but a couple of people told me it may not be sufficient. Very worried they'll not let him leave or come back as me and my son are not irish.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

My niece is going with her cousin to the US, she has to have a letter from her father to allow them get medical help or whatever, but nothing else afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

You should ring the embassy of the country they are going to and ask what their requirements are also.

• Advertisement

that is reassuring about the nice beeing able to travel. I've prepared a consent letter asked the guards to sign it and witness but they where so rude and unhelpful. B't basically told me it was not an irish form. I stated I could not find an irish one (only every other country) and I'm happy to fill in an irish one if they could tell me where to find it. Any way, they didn't know where to find same, walked off and slammed the door on me. My fear is that my child will be taken into custody.
    Good idea about the embassy, I'll get on to them asap. Thanks a mill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭blueythebear

happydayz8 wrote: »
    that is reassuring about the nice beeing able to travel. I've prepared a consent letter asked the guards to sign it and witness but they where so rude and unhelpful. B't basically told me it was not an irish form. I stated I could not find an irish one (only every other country) and I'm happy to fill in an irish one if they could tell me where to find it. Any way, they didn't know where to find same, walked off and slammed the door on me. My fear is that my child will be taken into custody.
    Good idea about the embassy, I'll get on to them asap. Thanks a mill.

If you're both not Irish, does he have a re-entry visa? Or is he visa required? You would need to make sure that he has a visa to re-enter the State on his return if he is visa required.

As for whether he can fly out of Ireland , the airline would have a particular policy in this regard and you should check with them.

he actually is half irish. He was born here and I've been living and tax paying in Ireland for 7 years. We are Swiss and therefore non-EU but in bilateral agreements with the EU. He is not visa required. I guess all should be ok with the consent but I will contact the embassy just in case. It's strange that the process is not more openly comunicated. Surely this is a pretty common scenario?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

My daughter has travelled to the US and France with my sister on numerous occassions without any difficulty whatsoever
    Possibly because they physically look alike but also because the same surname is on both passports
    The only place we have ever had difficulty was in London Heathrow when I was travelling with the same sister & my daughter and they wanted to interview the child (who was 4 at the time) on her own to ascertain if she was being kidnapped... and this was on the way BACK IN TO IRELAND with IRISH passports!

:mad:
    (I had WWIII with the UK officials on that occassion but that's another story)

I do normally provide my sister with a letter signed by both parents stating that we have given my sister consent to travel with my daughter unaccompanied by her parents (plus a copy of her birthcert with parents names & signatures for verification purposes)
    To date she has NEVER been asked for it

Advertisement