Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i5 2500k Overclock Problem

Options
  • 25-06-2011 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hey guys.

So I recently bought a new computer with an i5 2500k and I was looking forward to overclocking it. Now, I have never overclocked before, but I found a guide online to do it with my MSI p676 mobo so I went ahead and did it.

However, when I go to play world of warcraft, for instance, the CPU stays at 1600Mhz, only jumping up to the overclocked 4500Mhz every 5 seconds then back down to 1600Mhz.

I'm just wondering if anyone could help me fix this issue? The only solution I have found so far is to turn off the power saving mode in the BIOS but by doing that my CPU is going to be running at 4500Mhz the entire time the computer is on, which I can imagine is not a good thing.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

Did you run stability tests on your OC to make sure it was stable?
    Prime95, OCCT and IntelBurnTest are a few programs you can use to do this.

When running a test in any of these programs, keep an eye on your processors speeds and see does the same thing happen. Maybe it's just the needs of the game.
    Now I have no idea about OC'ing either, but this might help troubleshoot the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Tsukimi

Cheers I'll just try that there, how long should I let the test run for?

Okay just started the test there, and it's running at 4500Mhz with the test on, and 1600Mhz with it off.

So I'm guessing the CPU is registering WoW as not requiring alot of CPU power and turning it back down to 1600Mhz....any idea how to stop it doing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

Taken from this thread, http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/497993-newbie-guide-overclocking-updated-core-2-a.html
    Stability testing:
    OCCT (run LinPack for at least 2 hours. If you get an error before 1 hour, you are not stable enough, after 1 hour, your pretty good. If you get no errors even after 2 hours of testing, then try for a 24/7 test. Set the time to infinite and let it run at 90% RAM for 12-24 hours. If you get no errors, then you are rated as 24/7 stable!)

Orthos – Run for at least 2 hours with small FFT. You can use this for 24/7 stress testing

IntelBurnTest (really intense program) – If you can pass 50 runs, your pretty good to go

Prime95 – Must run at least 2 hours of small FFT to be deemed stable. You can use the and run a 24/7 test if you like. If you pass, your 24/7 stable. After you past 2 hours, run for 2 hours on blend to be extra sure

If you haven't done test types of test, firstly give out stink to who ever wrote that guide you followed, stability testing is an extremely important part of OC'ing. Also if you done any OC'ing on your RAM you should run Memtest86 too.

Edit: No ideas, is it affecting your game play?? As in does it stall or jump? If not it's probably, just the game only needs that much CPU power.

Ye cheers for that I'll let it run for awhile - as for the performance, it doesn't stall or jump, but it has reduced the FPS from the non-overclocked state :S I guess I'll just let this test run and then see after that, cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Chosen

Sounds like thermal throttling, mate. Just because it doesn't crash, it doesn't mean that it doesn't get hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

im fairly certain everything is normal OP. if it goes to 4.5Ghz while doing stress testing its doing its job correctly. WoW can be maxed on laptops these days, so running at 1.6ghz on the most efficient and powerful mainstream quad core CPU sounds overkill already.

what GPU do you have and what FPS are you getting? what resolution is your monitor? download FRAPS and get back to us on the fps.

regardless, all OCing should be tested to be stable. i doubt yours is unstable, but run IntelBurnTest as per fluffys post and monitor temps and stability.

EDIT: give us all your PC specs, and the Heatsink you're using..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭2011abc

Relax !Its just some of those silly, tree huggin, 'power saving' modes kicking in once you leave the game (which requires max power and exit to desktop.Nothing to worry about .Turn it off .They destabilise overclocks anyway .And youre fine running it at 4.5 the whole time if its a 'proper' stable overclock .

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Greyfoot

Disable C states and Speedstep in BIOS and yer good to go...

Advertisement