Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

CL500 BENZ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,349 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

lovely machine. I believe the update model as you have linked to is more reliable that the earlier one.
    Id say get the best one you can afford and also have a few thousand in a maintenance fund.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭PAULWATSON

That is right, some load of car for the money.

Very few on the road as well, no smoke no poke.

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

PAULWATSON wrote: »
    Thinking of pulling the trigger on one of these

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2780475.htm

Living in the UK at the minute, what a ride.

is this a loaded question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

There's one up here near me. Seen it yesterday having fun in the rain. Those tyre won't last long!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

lovely thing! damn you all in uk! damn you all! :p

these are going for 7-8k eu here, but tax....

just a wild guess, how much mpg would that do in town and motorway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

You'll buy on e cheaper here in Ireland and import it to the Uk

03 CL500 asking €10,500 prob get it for a whole lot less
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1966374?cid=1966374&

Full?id=5590680

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Bigus wrote: »
    But then he would have to pay the £55 UK Import Duty! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Probably does better mileage then my car. I want one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Bigus wrote: »

03 CL500 asking €10,500 prob get it for a whole lot less
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1966374?cid=1966374&

Full?id=5590680

Thats fantastic value, facelifted and new command system too. Might take it meself!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

I drove one recently, an 02 one. Land yacht is the only way to describe it. Handles like a pig, the accelerator has an insanely long travel, no power for a big 5 liter v8 (my 225bhp TT felt faster), loads of buttons with no idea what any of them did, but what looks, and what a car in a straight line.
    An XJR of a similar vintage is a better car I think(fabulous power with a blown v8) just very light steering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

lomb wrote: »
    I drove one recently, an 02 one. Land yacht is the only way to describe it. Handles like a pig, the accelerator has an insanely long travel, no power for a big 5 liter v8 (my 225bhp TT felt faster), loads of buttons with no idea what any of them did, but what looks, and what a car in a straight line.
    An XJR of a similar vintage is a better car I think(fabulous power with a blown v8) just very light steering.

wasnt that the purpuse of it? being a land yacht... thx god you compared it to TT, if that would be VRS it wouldnt stand a chance at all! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

lomb wrote: »

Thats interesting, I heard the steering was incredibly vague on them alright. I drove a 2010 S350 recently and it was very floaty. I dont think Mercedes compare to BMW in the agility department, between the flagships I mean.

wasnt that the purpuse of it? being a land yacht... thx god you compared it to TT, if that would be VRS it wouldnt stand a chance at all! :eek:

I just compared it to a small powerful machine. In comparison it was or should I say it felt slow probably due to the insulated nature of it. I also compared it to an XJR which would be a rival at that time. No power next to that, didn't like the long pedal travel, steering, or the kickdown that took its time(maybe something wrong with that one or needed sport mode selecting) but a fab car in a straight line.The big Merc held its own in what it was designed to be. The road tax wouldnt bother me too much, I reakon the fuel is more of a problem.
    Running costs would be over 10000 miles about 4k in fuel, 1k in insurance, 1.5k in road tax, 2k in depreciation and about 1.5k in a maintainance fund. So 10 a year. Still not bad for what it is if you can afford it. Id have one in the morning if I had the space for it.

Had a look at a few irish websites. 01/02 CL500's going for €6000.

If you were not doing many miles, you'd be the big dog in one of those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Have to say having driven one briefly its a dog. The steering has no feel, the engine has serious lag yet breaks traction at the slightest provocation once its does finally come alive and the TC kicks in bringing you to a halt. The power for the displacement is disappointing. The interior is dated. All in all I felt like I should have a flat cap and pipe driving it. Also the one in the OP link while well specced is way overpriced.

Have to say having driven one briefly its a dog. The steering has no feel, the engine has serious lag yet breaks traction at the slightest provocation once its does finally come alive and the TC kicks in bringing you to a halt. The power for the displacement is disappointing. The interior is dated. All in all I felt like I should have a flat cap and pipe driving it. Also the one in the OP link while well specced is way overpriced.

Not overpriced for the UK market, mate.

As for all this rally driving, I'm just going to be touring about the town in it. If I wanted to be the next Bertie Fisher, I'd buy a spivved up EVO.

I think they are sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

In fairness arent there smaller engines available in the model if you dont care about the performance? What Fitzgeme described didnt sound like "rally driving" at all.

Matt Simis wrote: »
    In fairness arent there smaller engines available in the model if you dont care about the performance? What Fitzgeme described didnt sound like "rally driving" at all.

I dont think that you would want anything smaller engined TBH. Its power level is very disappointing for the type of car it is. And I wasn't rally driving it for sure. Just turns around roundabouts and off junctions at a spirited pace that you could normally do on the public road.

Its a fab car but its not worth the 160 grand or whatever original price for sure. Id give 8 or 9k euro for an 03 one, 6 for an 02 one, thats about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,281 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Matt Simis wrote: »
    But then he would have to pay the £55 UK Import Duty! ;)
    but thats illegal and against the EU and unfair and rabble rabble rabble

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

Saw one on Friday, every time I see one I'm surprised by its sheer size.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Nice bus but not a Merc fan myself. In relation to the 'feeling of power' compared to smaller but less powerful cars the thing about luxobarges is you don't realise the speed you're doing. For example I had a 323 years back and when you planted it she felt fast as fcuk. The 735 I have at the moment doesn't feel half as quick as the 323 but it's a whole different story when you look in the rear view after taking off from the the lights without evening pushing it.

Advertisement