Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage moratorium

Options
  • 25-06-2011 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi, Am currently employed and due to go on maternity leave. My husband is unemployed (receiving no benefits). I will not be paid during my leave and will receive only state benefit. This will not cover mortgage repayments. I approached the bank a couple of months ago and requested a moratorium. This was granted for our two other children. I was told prevously by a local bank employee that we would be entitled to 4 in the lifetime of the loan.
    We have no debts but also no savings and have never had a problem making mortgage repayments when I am working.
    To cut a long story the bank point blank refused a break but offered interest only. The interest amount would still be unmanageable so we appealed and offered to pay half the interest amount. I am waiting from a letter from 'collections' but have been told by my local branch that they are refusing to grant us a break, letting us go into arrears and accepting our offer as a 'contribution'. I will be back to work in six months and will be paying the normal mortgage amount immediately but in the meantime will be in arrears rather than a break.
    Does this seem like our best option or is it best to avoid arrears at all costs ie trying to get a loan from somewhere?!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

This site may offer some advice but at least you are going about it the right way in approaching the bank first.

http://keepingyourhome.ie/

Also go have a chat with MABS as they may also be able to offer some advice on this and help you deal with the bank.

www.mabs.ie

Advertisement