Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Healthier alternative to maple syrup

Options
  • 25-06-2011 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭

I am making a yummy sounding cinnamon raisin french toast tomorrow for brunch and it says it is best served with maple syrup. Is there a lower sugar alternative to maple syrup? Would honey be better? I know you can get low sugar maple syrup in the states, but is there anywhere here that stock it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Tesco sell maple syrup now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

Maple syrup has less sugar than honey! It'll also go better with what you're making than honey, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Just use it sparingly .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Would you try something other then maple syrup? Like apple sauce or stewed fruit or Creme Fraiche?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Just make/eat less of it. No point going to the trouble of making something delicious if you're going to skimp on one of the main sources of flavour in it. It's not like this is something you're going to eat every day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Doolee

Hi OP,

I might be too late to reply, but Agave Syrup is a lower Gi form of sugar as far as I know. Its hard to get, ie. only in health food shops. Its just as expensive as good quality maple syrup but its what I use. And if youre anything like me, the only reason to make something like pancakes or french toast is so you can lather on the syrup!

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Hi OP - 'Lower in sugar' does not necessarily mean healthier. I'd prefer to use a natural product like maple syrup any day over something that may have been chemically processed to artificially reduce sugar levels. Like a poster said earlier - just use a little bit less.

Advertisement