Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IPV6 Readyness

Options
  • 25-06-2011 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭

I understand that IPV6 will be replacing or running alongside IPV4 due to the depletion of addresses on the IPV4 system.

My question is this,

Does this mainly effect ISP Providers, Network owners and Website owners?

Is there anything the standalone end user needs to do or change in order to become compliant?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

I understand that IPV6 will be replacing or running alongside IPV4 due to the depletion of addresses on the IPV4 system.

My question is this,

Does this mainly effect ISP Providers, Network owners and Website owners?

Is there anything the standalone end user needs to do or change in order to become compliant?

IPV4 is the internet protocol ip addresses such as 192.168.1.2. IPV6 is the internet protocol with letters etc: 23f:fd3:rd:0 or simular.

If you go to Internet Properties on your computer, there is both IPV4 and IPV6 which (I suppose means your pc is ready). It may be required that Server hosts would need to change settings etc. And voip providers, your own modem/router etc etc.
    Again, yes I would say there would be updates for certain equipment.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

And every phone using the internet has an ip somehow, I don't know the logistics of internet ipv4 to ipv6 but yes, I would imagine, webhosts, server admin and even broadband providers may need to change equipment to change to ipv6. As you can only have 2 billion ipv4 (afaik) it would be better to use ipv6.

Hth

Edit: again, if you use a Mobile it may be required to be updated, as will certain equipment. I would say it can be done remotely very easily anyways..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Mr_Grumpy wrote: »
    IPV4 is the internet protocol ip addresses such as 192.168.1.2. IPV6 is the internet protocol with letters etc: 23f:fd3:rd:0 or simular.

If you go to Internet Properties on your computer, there is both IPV4 and IPV6 which (I suppose means your pc is ready).

Yep I'm aware of all that Grumpy but my question is related to the everyday desktop\laptop in home use. My desktop right now has both IPV4 & IPV6 in the network connection properties (win7) but my Laptop (Win XP Pro) only has IPV4 in the properties. Does that mean that the XP Pro machine will not be able to view a site that has moved to IPV6 & if so what would need to be done to make it compliant?

Is IPV6 readyness for the end user down to the OS?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

This should sort your XP laptop - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2478747

Most desktop OS's since XP support IPv6. The biggest problem right now is ISP's, many use central BAS equipment (or equivilant) and (the larger problem) CPE equipment that don't support IPv6. Desktop support is mostly 'there' today - but as above - may need to be enabled on older operating systems.

Interesting note - if your running a dual stacked OS and your ISP+ Home router support IPv6 properly, the OS will use the v6 stack instead of the v4 stack by default - only falling back to IPv4 if it cant reach the destination via IPv6 - so lots of people around the world are using IPv6 without even knowing it (which is as it should be!).

Snaga wrote: »
    This should sort your XP laptop - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2478747

Most desktop OS's since XP support IPv6. The biggest problem right now is ISP's, many use central BAS equipment (or equivilant) and (the larger problem) CPE equipment that don't support IPv6. Desktop support is mostly 'there' today - but as above - may need to be enabled on older operating systems.

Interesting note - if your running a dual stacked OS and your ISP+ Home router support IPv6 properly, the OS will use the v6 stack instead of the v4 stack by default - only falling back to IPv4 if it cant reach the destination via IPv6 - so lots of people around the world are using IPv6 without even knowing it (which is as it should be!).

That's some helpful Info Snaga, thanks ;)

So aside from the need for XP users to actually install IPV6, is it safe to say that end users as such are ready for IPV6 and don't need to change NIC's are any other hardware?

When I ever wanted to setup a static IP I'd go to the properties for my network connection and under IPV4 I would make the changes, with the onset of IPV6 would one need to make those changes in both the properties of IPV4 & IPV6?

• Advertisement

There are three ways to get an IPv6 address today.

1) Statically assign it - just like in ipv4.
    2) DHCPv6 (Or Stateful Autoconfiguration) - have to manually enable it via the CLI) - but wanted by much of industry for control reasons. (Available since Windows Vista).
    3) Stateless Auto configuration - default Windows method and by far the easiest method. (also supported in Windows XP without additional client).

With autoconfiguration, the PC can get the IP network information from the Router and simply tacks its unique ethernet MAC address (with a few additions) on the end for an instant unique IPv6 address. Very easy to deploy but you lose that control that DHCPv6 would give you.

<edited as I had some out-of-date details about DHCPv6 >

Snaga wrote: »
    There are three ways to get an IPv6 address today.

1) Statically assign it - just like in ipv4.

I've just installed IPV6 on the XP machine and it installed fine, but when I go to the properties (Where I would set a static IP) the button is grayed out?

Any idea why that would be?

ipv6installed.jpg

Advertisement