Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

boss gone AWOL without paying

Options
  • 25-06-2011 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Three weeks ago, I lost the job I was in as the business I was working in closed down. My boss was never very organised and never really had any kind of system put in place. So when it came to paying me, she often let it build up over a couple of weeks, relying on me to keep a record of what hours I had worked etc. So when it came to paying me my final pay-cheque, my boss had once again let it build up over alot of weeks until it was a substantial amount of money I was owed.

She gave me the cheque on my last day, but not my reference, which she said she still hadnt finished, she said she would meet up with me in the next few days and give it to me.

However, when I went to cash the cheque, it bounced. The bank rang her but no reply. I tried ringing her and getting in contact with her but no reply. I then heard that she had actually gone on a holiday to Spain.! And when I checked her facebook there were pictures to prove it.! She is back from her holiday now and I am still trying to contact her, although now it looks like she has blocked my number.

I have no address for her and no other means of contact for her, the only info I have is where her husband works. Is there anything legally I can do to try and get my money? I am only a student studying in school and I need this money as I am currently trying to save for college and as a result of all this I have had to cancel several trips this summer and am I dont want to be asking my parents for money. Any suggestions/ideas of what to do would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Something like citizens advice would probably know what to do. If she is genuinely ducking you with no intention of paying then you may need to get a solicitor involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Also contact NERA, for more advice.

www.nera.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Quaderno

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Also contact NERA, for more advice.

www.nera.ie

Good advice, but try http://www.employmentrights.ie/en/ instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

take screen caps of her face book page , if it goes to court and you can prove she went to spain instead of paying you they will throw the book at her

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭bayles

I reckon she thinks that because your only a student you wont be bothered or have the resourses to pursue her for the money.
    Make sure you go after her and dont let her away with this . Get legal advice , Your first consultation with a solicitor should be free so it wont cost anything to go in and have a chat .

• Advertisement
Advertisement