Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 days in New Zealand- where should I go?

Options
  • 25-06-2011 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭

I'm heading to Australia in a few weeks for about 3 weeks and have been thinking that I'd love to fit NZ in too- is it realistic to think I could go there for around 3 days? Am I right in thinking the flight is around 3-4 hours from Oz?

Anyway seeing as my budget will be pretty much gone by that stage, I probably won't get to travel inside the country much. So I'm wondering- if you could only go to one place in New Zealand where would it be? I've been considering either Auckland or Christchurch so far. I'd like to experience a nice city, but also be able to hop on a bus for 1-2 hours and see some amazing countryside.

Have no clue about what are considered the best areas in New Zealand, so any advice appreciated! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭niceoneted

I've been to Oz a number of years ago and didn't do NZ. I am going to NZ this year for 6 weeks so researching it.
    It depends on where you are going to be flying from in OZ but flights from Sydney to Auckland is about 4 hrs. Christchurch are still feeling aftershocks and tremors from the earthquake earlier in the year so thing it may not be worth going there. I believe in Auckland that a lot of stuff happens in the suburbs and people just come into city for work. It's vast enough so you won't get to see much in 3 days.
    Personally I would just stick with Oz if your only going to be there for the 3 weeks as there is lots to see/do.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

if you go before in the next 2/3 months you could do some skiing. 3 days is too short though.

for example you have to be at the airport in oz a few hours before you fly. the flight is 3/4 hours. then if you land in christchurch it'll be the afternoon so you check into a hostel. thats 1 day. you can get early buses from hostels out to mt hutt and go skiing for the day. thats 2 days. then the next day you are going home. thats 3 days.

add up the flights, your ski pass, ski lessons, and gear rental. it could turn out to be an expensive few days. you could also run the risk of getting there and the ski fields could be closed due to bad weather.

new zealand is a lovely place, has great scenery, and lots of great things to do but if i only had 3 days to go there out of a few weeks in total that i was on oz. i wouldnt, i'd use the 3 days to do stuff in oz.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭breadmonster

skip auckland and christchurch and fly into either wellington or queenstown if its just for 3 days. queenstown for activities like bungy jumping, skydiving, tramping, skiing, nightlife. wellington for nightlife, boat trips, museums, citybreak. neither places are cheap - more expensive than ireland but probably a bit cheaper than aus but then i guess you gotta count the cost of the flights. its worth a look..

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

If you fly to Christchurch, try get in early and drive to queenstown. One of the most beautiful drives ive ever done, especially with snow on the mountains. **** load to do in Queenstown...lots of adventure activities and of course snow fields....if it ever snows!! 3 days is nowhere near enough time.

Other option is fly to auckland. Go to Cape reinga, see the Kauri trees on the way back. Head to Taupo, corimandel Rotorua...lot of driving but these places are really nice. What are you looking for? Adventure, sights???

Whats about Tazmania for a few days. I hear its lovely. Ive not been. Where are you flying from in Oz? If perth, why not look at Bali.
    I say these options as you will regret only giving 3 days and probably not see a whole lot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 greenline

I love NZ but there is no point going for 3 days. Plus, there is so much to see in Aus, you will just be "making halves of yourself".

If I did have three days in NZ though- I'd fly to Queenstown- beautiful scenery and loads to to- both adrenaline junkie stuff and great scenery. It is an expensive place though, so if you say you won't have much cash left I think you'd only be torturing yourself really. Spend the 3 days in Australia and come back another time to spend 3 weeks in NZ!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lustrum

If you fly to Christchurch, try get in early and drive to queenstown. One of the most beautiful drives ive ever done, especially with snow on the mountains. **** load to do in Queenstown...lots of adventure activities and of course snow fields....if it ever snows!! 3 days is nowhere near enough time.

Other option is fly to auckland. Go to Cape reinga, see the Kauri trees on the way back. Head to Taupo, corimandel Rotorua...lot of driving but these places are really nice. What are you looking for? Adventure, sights???

Whats about Tazmania for a few days. I hear its lovely. Ive not been. Where are you flying from in Oz? If perth, why not look at Bali.
    I say these options as you will regret only giving 3 days and probably not see a whole lot!

While all these are great places to go to, I'm not sure you'd get much of this done in 3 days - Auckland to Cape Reinga alone is about a 7 hour drive!

I'll second flying into Queenstown. Alternatively Christchurch is/was a nice city and it's only a very short hop out to the Banks peninsula and Akaroa - the summit drive around the peninsula is stunning!

Advertisement