Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liverpool XI versus Waterford Utd

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ComeraghBlue

decies wrote: »
    Anybody got a spare stand ticket for this will swap two ground tickets for it???

Same here, I had no joy. Very unlikely that someone will swap as there's going to be thousands standing so it's going to be every man for himself to be at the front of the barrier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

Kenny headed off at half time yesterday so won't be at the match tomorrow. There was talk of Pepe and Henderson coming over but I don't think it will happen. 2000 standing tickets sold so get there early

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

There will be a half time draw with the prizes being a €350 holiday voucher and 2x framed Liverpool jerseys signed by Kenny Dalglish. €2 a ticket or 3 for €5. They will be on sale just inside the gates.

I think the signed jerseys fell through

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

The club is going to have to sell a lot of programmes and merchandise to make this worthwhile , and should have insisted that at least 3 first teamers were there even if they didnt play .

• Advertisement

south wrote: »
    I think the signed jerseys fell through

As of Monday night they were there.
    Didn't hear anything about it since.

They lads who went to Bray to meet him couldn't get them signed so unless they got them from somewhere else I don't think they'll have them tonight. They did send over a lovely silver liverbird as a reminder of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭mojor

Anyone know if the team are staying in Waterford?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Boooourns

The club is going to have to sell a lot of programmes and merchandise to make this worthwhile , and should have insisted that at least 3 first teamers were there even if they didnt play .

There hardly going to play hardball with Liverpool as it could effect getting them back over, they've already sold out the game even though they're only sending over a reserve team.
    I'm sure Waterford will make a nice bit of money from this.

mojor wrote: »
    Anyone know if the team are staying in Waterford?

Only here for the day. heading back to wicklow after having something to eat after the game

• Advertisement

Finished 1-0 to Waterford United. Shamie Long with the winner.
    Some result for the blues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭hotspur147

cococoady wrote: »
    Finished 1-0 to Waterford United. Shamie Long with the winner.
    Some result for the blues.

anyone decent on show from liverpool?

I didn't recognise any names from programme. I went off 20 mins into the game but I've heard from a few people that it was a shocking game which the blues deserved to win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

hotspur147 wrote: »
    anyone decent on show from liverpool?

Raheem Sterling was pretty good. Their back 4 was pretty bad though, Waterford should have had a couple more goals really.

Raheem Sterling was pretty good. Their back 4 was pretty bad though, Waterford should have had a couple more goals really.

Suso stood out but overall Waterford outfought them and deserved it.

Anyone see the lad in the Man utd jersey with the Irish flag wrapped around him and written on the flag was 'Liverpool scum, i'd rather walk alone', i don't think he saw the irony in defacing the Irish flag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Boooourns wrote: »
    Suso stood out but overall Waterford outfought them and deserved it.

Anyone see the lad in the Man utd jersey with the Irish flag wrapped around him and written on the flag was 'Liverpool scum, i'd rather walk alone', i don't think he saw the irony in defacing the Irish flag.

what an idiot

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭MikeyReilly

[QUOTE
    Anyone see the lad in the Man utd jersey with the Irish flag wrapped around him and written on the flag was 'Liverpool scum, i'd rather walk alone', i don't think he saw the irony in defacing the Irish flag.[/QUOTE]

Ah sure theres always one.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭MikeyReilly

Great win for the Blues tonight. Played Liverpool off the park at times. Great to watch. Wish they could play like that every week. Future not looking to good for liverpool though!

Have to say the club should be very proud of a great nights entertainment in the RSC. Well done to all involved in getting this game on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

Not much talent in that liverpool reserves side , got a stand ticket at the last Minute thanks to a man utd blues fan , I gave me two ground tickets for half price to two scousers. Crowd approaching 5,000 is a good turnout.

Not much talent in that liverpool reserves side , got a stand ticket at the last Minute thanks to a man utd blues fan , I gave me two ground tickets for half price to two scousers. Crowd approaching 5,000 is a good turnout.

They weren't really a reserve side since there was about 30 players off in China/Malaysia with the first team, this lot were mosts 17-19 year old youth teamers....and nabil el zhar. Kristian Aborjan (who I think was Liverpool's no. 10) showed some good touches but tended to get muscled off the ball easily later in the game, he could be good if he builds up his strength a good bit.

The blues were really up for it tonight though and not only did they out-muscle the liverpool lads they also passed better and generally moved off the ball better as well, the liverpool left back especially was tormented last night. The Liverpool website is blaming a heavy surface to the pitch but Waterford seemed to be able to pass well enough and the RSC was far from the ploughed field look it used to have in years gone by.

Waterford should have scored in the first minute with a great header that was just a little too near the goalie and again about 10 minute later. A few minutes after the 2nd half started Waterford had a goal disallowed due to a very questionable offside decision and finally scored at about 65 minutes with a bullet header from Long

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭tankbarry

Blues should have scored in the 2nd minute The blues disallowed goal was just off. Paul Walsh was the chap giving the Liverpool left back a nightmare game. And just to confirm the pitch WAS NOT heavy it was perfect Liverpool just were outplayed excuses. Hopefully the club made some money.

Blues and Liverpool fan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Raheem Sterling was pretty good.

Were u watching a different game. :p.

Sterling came on in 2nd half but did not get much ball. He is still only 16 but looks a little lightweight tbh. I'm sure 6 months or so in the reserves will toughen him up.

Reserves (Academy Players) were pretty poor tbh. Waterford could have won 3-0.

The only bright points from the Liverpool reserves were.

1. Emmanuel Mendy : Strong, fast, tough tackling Right full back

2. Suso : Came on in the 2nd half and he looked very lively. Some nice touches and passing. He has very quick feet

Edit: Toni Silva looked good in patches as well

As was posted earlier this was not a reserve side. Mostly players from the academy. Good win for the blues all the same. They deserved it.

Were u watching a different game. :p.

Nope, my judgement stands
    The only bright points from the Liverpool reserves were.

1. Emmanuel Mendy : Strong, fast, tough tackling Right full back

I thought he was awful :P Stephen Sama was even worse, like a deer on rollerskates when he was trying to kick the ball, he reminded me of Djimi Traore :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

I was at the game in Bray. Most of the guys in this squad are academy players. The only players I'd consider as 'Reserves' are El Zhar, Suso, Mendi and perhaps Eccleston.

Did Brad Smith play last night?. He plays left back and is like lightniing going forward. If he can defend (wasn't tested all that much mon night) and has a decent left peg he is a player to watch.

Suso looks the part but does not seem to dominate/demand the ball as much as he should. When I watch him I think he could be a Xavi type, very left footed though. It's not like he is 17 any more, pressure is on him to develop now.

I thought Mendi looked poor mon night, he might look like a right back but he is not good enough imho.

If Eccleston adds some bulk he could be something. I dunno about Sama, he looks very athletic, reminds me a bit of Vieira in build/stature. Gas that he has a german passport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Nope, my judgement stands

I thought he was awful :P Stephen Sama was even worse, like a deer on rollerskates when he was trying to kick the ball, he reminded me of Djimi Traore :p

Maybe we were both watching different games :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Joey leBlanc

Plastering Kenny Dalgish's face all over the tickets & programme was a bit
    of a sly move considering the man in question was nowhere to be seen &
    had no intention of ever being here. In the run up & publicity WUFC should have made it know it was gonna be the Liverpool Youth team, a "Liverpool XI" was even streching the truth a bit too much. Unfortunately 99% of ppl there last night were there for Liverpool, all dressed up in the replica kit etc. Even the Mayor, Pat Hayes & a few other cronies were intoduced to the Liverpoll teenagers before the match. Both the match & ocassion turned out to be a let down. Doubt they would got a third of the attendance if ppl knew what sorta Liverpool were gonna turn up.
    On a similar note I remember seeing Man Utd play the Blue back in 1990 a few months after they had won the FA Cup in a pre-season friendly. Only difference was they brought a real 1st team & Fergie was there. And the FA Cup!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Boooourns wrote: »

I was standing near that guy the cheek of him, the likes of him should have stayed at home.

had no intention of ever being here.

He was on the cover of the match day programme aswell.

The waterford lads played very well and hopefully it might result in bigger attendances.

had no intention of ever being here. In the run up & publicity WUFC should have made it know it was gonna be the Liverpool Youth team, a "Liverpool XI" was even streching the truth a bit too much. Unfortunately 99% of ppl there last night were there for Liverpool, all dressed up in the replica kit etc. Even the Mayor, Pat Hayes & a few other cronies were intoduced to the Liverpoll teenagers before the match. Both the match & ocassion turned out to be a let down. Doubt they would got a third of the attendance if ppl knew what sorta Liverpool were gonna turn up.
    On a similar note I remember seeing Man Utd play the Blue back in 1990 a few months after they had won the FA Cup in a pre-season friendly. Only difference was they brought a real 1st team & Fergie was there. And the FA Cup!

Sadly that was before the big teams decided to cash in and go to America or Malaysia for their preseason to keep their profile up over there. They know the Irish will buy the jerseys regardless as we're only across the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Bluezar

Thats good marketing? This was a major fundraiser and a major coup for the blues to get Liverpool in the RSC. So delighted to see my beloved blues actually beat them to as it was embaressing to be outnumbered 10:1 by the "away fans". If people in this town want to wrap themselves head to toe in liverpool merchandise and go down and cheer against their local team, good luck to them and that will be 15e on the gate please. You honestly expect the club to talk the game down as much as they can. Don't be daft bud, and it was a great match and occasion if you were a fan of your local team!:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement