Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

450 EURO / BUILD / HELP

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭kahf1_01

deconduo wrote: »
    LGA 1156 is just bad now, you shouldn't be looking at it at all. The only other thing you should be looking at is LGA 1155. You could get an i3-2100, but an overclocked 955 beats it in pretty much everything. At stock speeds the i3 is better for gaming, but it can't really be overclocked.

If you are worried about upgradability you can simply get an AM3+ motherboard which will allow you to get a bulldozer CPU down the line.

The LGA 1155 Core i3 looks tempting (as it's the same price) but I'm having difficulty picking out a mobo. [ link http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articlesearch.jsp?agid=1601&search.reset=1&search.sKey= /link ]

I feel the intel combo would be great for upgradability - as I'm clueless about this "bulldozer" thing, I take it that is some kinda CPU, the codename perhaps?:confused:

Basically it's a choice between this:

- The intel combo or
    - The AMD combo

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

kahf1_01 wrote: »
    The LGA 1155 Core i3 looks tempting (as it's the same price) but I'm having difficulty picking out a mobo. [ link http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articlesearch.jsp?agid=1601&search.reset=1&search.sKey= /link ]

I feel the intel combo would be great for upgradability - as I'm clueless about this "bulldozer" thing, I take it that is some kinda CPU, the codename perhaps?:confused:

As far as I know, and I could be wrong about this, the only upgrade path for current LGA 1155 motherboards would be the higher end Sandy Bridge chips (i5-2500k or i7-2600k) While Ivy Bridge will use both LGA 1155 and 2011, I don't think it will support the current motherboards.

If you are looking to upgrade, I would still recommend the Phenom + an AM3+ motherboard.

Edit: Upon further research, they should support Ivy Bridge with a BIOS update

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

If you're getting a 1155 board, get a decent P67 or Z68 board. I agree that AM3+ would seem to be the best path on that budget.

Thanks for all the help guys, especially deconduo and fluffy. I'll order and build it, when back from hol's. I'll let ye all know how I got on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Slim Shady

You won't get anywhere near the 450W on that system that I specced. It probably won't even hit 250-300W. The problem is that there are no good PSUs cheaper than that 450W.

Its always nice to have extra power. Say in a few months he upgrades to a GTX 580 or another high power card.

Slim Shady wrote: »
    Its always nice to have extra power. Say in a few months he upgrades to a GTX 580 or another high power card.

He's speccing out a €450 budget machine and you think in a few months time he can afford to spash out €400 for a single card?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Slim Shady

He's speccing out a €450 budget machine and you think in a few months time he can afford to spash out €400 for a single card?

Who knows money might come his way, a gift etc.
    All I'm saying is that it is always nicer to have that extra bit of power to allow upgrading in the future.

Slim Shady wrote: »
    Who knows money might come his way, a gift etc.
    All I'm saying is that it is always nicer to have that extra bit of power to allow upgrading in the future.

If you have €1000+ to spend maybe. On a budget you want to squeeze out every last drop of performance possible. Wasting 15% of your budget on a better PSU for a theoretical future upgrade is not what you want to do.

Either way, CPU or an SSD would be a better upgrade instead of a 580. A 580 would be completely unbalanced compared to the other parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 merc.ie

See post #6 :P

Phenom 2 x4 955, AM3+ motherboard, 6850, 550W PSU. €465 excluding delivery.

164687.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

^That's a very solid system. Plenty of room in the PSU for upgrades, good GPU and decent board with SATA 6Gbps (good for SSD upgrades), USB 3 and next generation AMD CPU compatibility. This is a much better solution than an i3 and some cut down board.
    It's over budget, coming to €495 delivered, but I think it's worthwhile.

Advertisement