Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second thoughts re CAO

• 25-06-2011 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭

I havent changed my CAO at all since day one back in january or whatever but this week all my friends seem to be chopping and changing theirs to a huge extent and i'm beginning to wonder whether i should have done more research or whatever because its very hard to judge a course based purely on the name.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

Thanks for reminding me buddy! Must change mine.

By the way, research the courses using Careers Portal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 74 ✭✭AD61

I havent changed my CAO at all since day one back in january or whatever but this week all my friends seem to be chopping and changing theirs to a huge extent and i'm beginning to wonder whether i should have done more research or whatever because its very hard to judge a course based purely on the name.

I hope you didn't pick a course based purely on the name! Have you looked into the course content, which subjects you will be studying, etc.? It should all be available on the website of the college you applied for.

Not researching a course could lead to a disaster if, for example, you find out you have to study Maths when you thought there was no Maths involved, and end up dropping out because you hate a particular part of the course.

So research your course thoroughly before the deadline, and make sure you are comfortable studying all of the subjects involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lmao_Man

When is the last say you can change courses on your CAO anyway ?

Lmao_Man wrote: »
    When is the last say you can change courses on your CAO anyway ?

1st of July 5:15pm

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭TopOfTheRight

Its all well and good reading up on the modules youd be studying in college but what you cant find out is whats going to get you a job afterwards. In five years time its impossible to know what the country will be like so im probably doing a course that will get me a well grounded adaptable qualification. Having second thoughts now with all my mates chopping and changing which was my original point

• Advertisement

Doing a job you like would benefit you far more in the future than a job that pays well. CareersPortal has a box on the left to show what courses lead to what jobs...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

+1 to what paulmclaughlin is saying.

Take it from me, once the recession hit, lots of people went into science in UCD thinking it was a good degree to have (which it is) and there is lots of jobs at the end (which there isn't). This has resulted in many of these people failing third year.

Do not pick a course based on what will or will not get you a job, base it on what you like to study.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

my first 5 have remained the same sine i first filled out my courses
    changed a few others around and can say i'll be happy with anything get they're all in subject i have a real interest and passion for, either a mixture of business and languages or pure language :D

but i'd echo what other people are saying, do something that interests you and you like not what you think is a sure fire way into a job. you never know what the economy will be like when you're finished. plus even if you don't end up following the path related to your degree you get so many skills through studying a degree apart from the subjects you study

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ClaireMarie

Still don't have a clue - thinking I'll just do a science degree - anyone know anything about environmental science?
    And is there any other alternative to lab work for a science graduate??

@ClaireMaire: I must warn you, science is by no means easy, I don't mean to turn you off it, far from it, but I just don't like to see people go into something without knowing.

Generally people go into science money or fame or passion. And if you pick anything other than passion you are in it for the wrong reason!

As for alternatives, of course there is, consultancy and businesses love a scientist! But find a job is a job in itself, very little out there atm. Seeing as I am a scientist just out of uni, if you want more info send me a PM with any questions you might have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ClaireMarie

@ClaireMaire: I must warn you, science is by no means easy, I don't mean to turn you off it, far from it, but I just don't like to see people go into something without knowing.

Generally people go into science money or fame or passion. And if you pick anything other than passion you are in it for the wrong reason!

As for alternatives, of course there is, consultancy and businesses love a scientist! But find a job is a job in itself, very little out there atm. Seeing as I am a scientist just out of uni, if you want more info send me a PM with any questions you might have.

Oh I'm not going into it without thinking - I do love biology and chemistry!
    Thanks anyway... just trying to make a choice - I procrastinate so much

Oh I'm not going into it without thinking - I do love biology and chemistry!

Ah good to hear! Wish you all the best!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

1st of July 5:15pm

It's looming. I still haven't a bloody notion and it's killing me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭Sparkie93

i only have three courses down for level 8 and four for level 6 and 7 dont really know what i want to do yet i applied for plc course aswell im not sure if i have enough options

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

I just went mental and changed every course on my CAO to social work.. :o

Advertisement