Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making friends abroad?

Options
  • 25-06-2011 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭

I'm going to France for a few weeks to work and learn French, but I'm worried I'm going to be on my own all the time. Its a university town so there should be loads of people my age there, just finding them will be the hard part. How do you go about meeting people? I don't even know where to look for classes or anything.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

The French can be quite reserved, so since you'll only be there a few weeks, it may be difficult making good friends. I would start now- check online, such as Facebook groups for the area you are moving to, or hobbies you are interested in etc. Maybe you can make some online friends to meet up with when you get there, I did that and it really helped me once I moved abroad to know some people already.

You also say you will be working there, so you should try and be friendly with your co-workers; like in Ireland, collegues often go for a drink after work, but it's usually wine in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I'm working with a family in a small town so no coworkers. I'll keep an eye out for online groups though, hadn't thought of that one!

Advertisement