Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish game server provider

Options
  • 25-06-2011 2:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,

I run a game server provider : http://www.clanslots.com.

Today someone came to us looking for game servers in Ireland, and said that he couldn't find any. After some searching I came to the same conclusion, Either there aren't Irish game server providers or they are very well hidden :D
    I think that the main reason behind this is the cost of servers and hosting in ireland, But I think my company may be able to overcome this.

So my question is, is there demand for Irish servers vs uk ones, If you have a server would you move?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

What servers are you hosting? sorry i cant access from work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ClanSlotsEoin

Vicxas wrote: »
    What servers are you hosting? sorry i cant access from work.

At the moment we do nearly anything made by valve (TF2, CSS etc...), Minecraft, COD 1 2 3 4, BF2.

We'll be doing Terraria, Brink, Homefront and Halo in the next few weeks. (They require windows servers and it took a lot of work to get it working on our system)

And we're open to requests !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

We're looking for a dedicated server for Arma but all your dedi server options are VPS. We're not interested in slots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ClanSlotsEoin

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    We're looking for a dedicated server for Arma but all your dedi server options are VPS. We're not interested in slots.

It's not VPS, You can't run game servers comfortably on VPS for quite a few reasons (Even if quite a few companies try !)

With our system (We designed it from scratch) If you launch a game server, it can run on any server within our system. Our system automatically picks the system based on your past games (player count, cpu / ram usage etc etc...) and the load of other servers, this insures you always get the best performance, and it also prevents any downtime due to server breakage etc...

I got out of the dedicated industry quite some time ago, it was one of the key reasons the company started "There are better ways to do things" :P

But ARMA is an option, I know it's quite cpu hungry, but our systems love those sorts of tasks

Are you offering full dedicated boxes though?

We found this the most effective way. Don't know if you know anything about it, but Arma 2 is possibly the hardest server to run, it needs a hefty quad, but it runs all Ai calculations on a single core, thrashing that core. Therefore it needs a highly clocked quad, preferably i7. With our last dedi server we had full rdp access to do what we wished with the box, ran our own mumble, hosted mods for download etc. There is a linux Arma server, but as all patches get released as Windows .exe's it causes problems upadating (install locally and upload 12GB), its not as efficient on the cpu as Windows, most clans have moved to Windows boxes for this reason.

• Advertisement

This is what you're competing against:
    http://www.hetzner.de/en/hosting/produkte_rootserver/eq4/

If you feel you can compete and have something to offer please come talk to us on the Tactical Shooters forum. (We'd much prefer an Irish hosted server by the way)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement