Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

electrical problem

Options
  • 25-06-2011 3:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

hi all,I have been having trouble with downstairs sockets+after tracing problem to main socket+:fixing? the mcb goes back on,but no power to socket???any one know why???thanks,Paul216

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,339 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Moved from N&F.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

paul216 wrote: »
    hi all,I have been having trouble with downstairs sockets+after tracing problem to main socket+:fixing? the mcb goes back on,but no power to socket???any one know why???thanks,Paul216
    Are you sure all tripswitches are back up including elcb(maybe marked rcd)even though you may have turned it off
    How did you fix the problem
    Take socket back off and check connections again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 paul216

sorry for late reply,but yeah all switches up+everything else in house on+working.
    I had to disconnect 2other sockets from main 1+all was good,but when i went to put switch back up it took a few goes to stay up+then I tried socket+no power?thanks, paul216

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

what do you mean you had to disconnect other sockets? have you removed sockets from the circuit, if you have removed something from a radial circuit nothing after it in the circuit will work, the "power" is looped from one socket to the other, only the last socket on the circuit could be removed without affecting another socket. The broken loops would have to be connected back again. Have I missed something here?

Are all the other sockets working? I assume the RCD is up or else you'd have no sockets working at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Lost myself on this one. A photo of the DB board and back of the socket worked on might tell us something.

• Advertisement

I had 2disconnect each socket on loop to get mcb back on+when I reconnected 1st on loop,no power???it is a new fuse board,should i just run new wiring?thanks,Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Still hard to understand what you mean. It sort of sounds like you are having trouble getting the MCB to stay on, then you did get it to stay on, which makes it sound more like the RCD (the one with test button).

What was the original problem that made you start looking at the sockets?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

I doubt if he is at the first socket on the circuit, time to call in an electrician before you kill yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

bertie1 wrote: »
    time to call in an electrician before you kill yourself

+1
    Sorry Paul I have no idea what the issue is as I don't understand the posts. I think this is one of those moments when we advise to get in an electrician :). Sorry we can't help more.

ok,thanks anyway,paul

• Advertisement
Advertisement