Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

5th class student doing 6th class maths

• 25-06-2011 3:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

My son who is dyslexic and goes to a small school where classes are mixed. He is going in to 5th class with 6th class in the same room. There is twenty 6th class and six 5th class. He received his book list this week and Maths, Earthlinks and Where on Earth were all 6th class books. I spoke to his present teacher and said they would cover some of the 5th class maths but I am still worried as he struggled with 4th class maths this year and his new teacher is not the most patient. Any advice would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

Has the school finished up yet? If they have I'd make an appointment to meet the class teacher and your child's Learning Support teacher (I'm assuming they have one?) as soon as possible in September, to discuss how they'll differentiate for your child. If they're still going, I'd ring and ask if you could meet the Learning Support teacher (or class teacher if no LS) before the holidays. Explain that you just want to ask them quickly about the booklist. You can arrange a proper meeting for September, but even just meeting them might make them aware of your concerns, and put your mind at ease.

I don't teach 5th/6th, but I have a lot of experience with children with different needs, and if your child is struggling with 4th class maths, it makes no sense to me to have him using a 6th class book.

In our school we generally give an adapted book list for children who would not be able for the books at their own class level, and the teacher will work with the general class level and then give as much time as they can with the other book. For example, one of the children in my class this year wouldn't be able in any way for the reading in his next class, so myself and the next teacher put a different set of Senior Infant readers on his booklist instead of the First class readers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jt22

I have spoken to the school about my concerns but have been told that the oldest must go forward and he is one of the oldest six. I have also spoken to his resource teacher and she said nothing she can do this is school policy. He is not the only one in the six with learning problems. I have asked for him to stay with the other 18 who are all doing 5th class books but have been told this is not policy. The school and teachers have been very good to him and has been given plenty of help so far just concerned about the maths.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Just a thought, why not try get hold of the 5th class maths book and spend some time with him/her over the holidays on maths, those 8 weeks could make a huge difference.

It's sounds like the school are not meeting the childs needs though, and it needs addressing (he/she who shouts loudest)

on the other hand, as above it's not all down to the school, parents need to be active in education of their childern too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jt22

Have it all sorted. He will be doing 5th class maths in September. Thanks for all replys and advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

Glad to hear that jt22. Couldn't see the logic of getting a child to attempt the 6th class programme when they were already struggling with the 4th class programme. Best of luck to your son, hope he gets on well this year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement