Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baker looking for cake lovers opinions?

Options
  • 25-06-2011 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

Hi guys, I have been baking for the past 5 years now, iv done numerous courses in it so its a little more than a hobby at this stage. I dont own my own shop or business per se, just be working off word of mouth from home to date.

I was however looking to make a living out of it so I was wondering if I could get suggestions and opinions on what you think could work for a business model. I do all kinds of cakes including wedding cakes. So at the moment I am really open minded about where I could go as a baker in Dublin and I would love to hear what ideas were out there?

We are coming into a time were open innovation and co-creation is certainly being more welcomed, so any help that I can offer others I would be more than willing to.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭mw3guc

Food safety regulations are stringent so you would need to factor these into your plan before offering anything for sale on the open market or via any other business (know someone who did this). A separate fully equipped kitchen complying with all regulations (eg 2 sinks, special floor & wall tiles, storage room etc) planning permission, insurance, a 5 year loan and endless headaches - these were all foisted on her for her innovation.
    IMO, not for the faint hearted ... but the very best of luck if you do go down this route. Home made cakes are always the best :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

I would love to see smaller versions of classic cakes or indulgent cakes. I love a good slice of cake but I don't want the calories of buying a whole cake.

There is only two people in my house so a suitable size cake/treat is what I'm always on the look out for.

I know cupcakes have come into fashion but I think there could also be an in between size...I dunno if this is what you mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Just to respond to the second post, a separate kitchen is not needed for all home based baking businesses, first stop is to speak to your local EHO about the regulations and kitchen changes that would apply to you. I have one kitchen, normal kitchen units, normal wall tiles, normal wooden floor, no planning permission and no 5 year loan, it all depends on what you intend to make. For my type of home based business I am not permitted to have a separate kitchen or even a separate oven because I am registered as a domestic kitchen, can't have anything commercial. If you want to go into large scale production further down the line (or immediately) then yes you may need some of these but not everybody does.

Edit: This may be better off in Business & Entrepreneur section, there's been lots of similar threads there.

Acoshla wrote: »
    Just to respond to the second post, a separate kitchen is not needed for all home based baking businesses, first stop is to speak to your local EHO about the regulations and kitchen changes that would apply to you. I have one kitchen, normal kitchen units, normal wall tiles, normal wooden floor, no planning permission and no 5 year loan, it all depends on what you intend to make. For my type of home based business I am not permitted to have a separate kitchen or even a separate oven because I am registered as a domestic kitchen, can't have anything commercial. If you want to go into large scale production further down the line (or immediately) then yes you may need some of these but not everybody does.

This person was only small scale (novelty cakes & some wedding cakes) and a separate kitchen was demanded. Even an appeal to the Health Board (at the time) didn't change the demands, which then cascaded into a need for planning permission for change of use. Other local suppliers of cakes and buns who didn't comply were closed. I know this to be absolutely true, so best to check with environmental health in your area. This was a few years ago, so maybe there are new regulations that pertain now, though I'd be surprised if they became less stringent?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭f9710145

I've done many courses in baking and cake decorating, etc. in the past few years and know several individuals who have themselves set up as a home business. As acoshla said the hse will come out and approve (or not) your home set up as suitable for a home business. Most that I know live in standard semi-d's with regular kitchens. Main requirement was that there be a second sink available so hands and dishes can be washed separately, however those with a downstairs toilet have been told that that's enough to cover that aspect of the requirements. The other thing that you'd need is some kind of public liability insurance for home baking, currently available for around €250 as far as I know.

If you're on facebook you should check out the "Irish Cake Decorating and Sugarcraft Chat" group. You need to request to join but just give your background and you should have no problem. That group was formed last year by a woman who posted on rollercoaster.ie where there were a few of us who were always chatting about baking and cakes. You'll get any advice you need there and all the info you need on doing it all above board.

• Advertisement

mw3guc wrote: »
    This person was only small scale (novelty cakes & some wedding cakes) and a separate kitchen was demanded. Even an appeal to the Health Board (at the time) didn't change the demands, which then cascaded into a need for planning permission for change of use. Other local suppliers of cakes and buns who didn't comply were closed. I know this to be absolutely true, so best to check with environmental health in your area. This was a few years ago, so maybe there are new regulations that pertain now, though I'd be surprised if they became less stringent?

I am HSE registered with regular inspections, I do small scale production of novelty cakes, wedding cakes, etc, my EHO said my kitchen is fine and that he has no idea where people get the idea that every person that wants to bake from home needs commercial catering style equipment. Each county interprets the rules slightly different, which is why I would suggest the OP approaches their own local EHO first and foremost before going any further.

I am really very pleased to hear that registration is (or has been made) easier - at least in certain areas. My feeling is that it was far too bureaucratic for no good reason. There is just no comparison in taste between home-made and commercial :)
    Back to what might be likely to appeal to people ... I would love to be able to get some specially made or unusual cupcakes - maybe some exotic flavours - for parties and celebrations. I also think that many people would appreciate some gluten-free products, seldom available in commercial bakeries. As someone already mentioned, smaller portions would be also good, though might not fit well with economies of scale, even in a home-based operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Would love to do this too but I have pets indoors so there's no way I'd be approved. Pity coz I have 4 sinks in the house although only one in the kitchen. Mind you still some gaps in the units (only 3 years old) but tiled splashbacks and floor.
    Have worked in resteraunt kitchens before with a seperate area for sandwich making etc. and it was just a bog standard kitchen, clean but old fashioned, two big sinks. Cats too but they weren't allowed indoors but would sit outside on the window begging.

I have a dog and a cat and the regulations are that they just can't be in the kitchen when I'm baking, I generally keep them out of there as much as possible anyway (dog only goes through it to get to the back door once or twice a week) but you can be a pet owner and have a registered kitchen.

And it doesn't matter how many sinks you have in the house, you need two in the kitchen, so that one can be used for washing things and the other for rinsing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭DreamC

Acoshla wrote: »
    And it doesn't matter how many sinks you have in the house, you need two in the kitchen, so that one can be used for washing things and the other for rinsing them.

I wash EVERYTHING in the dishwasher (i just do not buy the equipment that is not dishwasher safe) but still have a double sink in the kitchen (just because it is already there). :) It makes my life much easier as I hate to wash stuff in the sink.

• Advertisement

DreamC wrote: »
    I wash EVERYTHING in the dishwasher (i just do not buy the equipment that is not dishwasher safe) but still have a double sink in the kitchen (just because it is already there). :) It makes my life much easier as I hate to wash stuff in the sink.

I don't have a dishwasher because there's only two of us here so it wouldn't get filled that much, and I really like washing up, weird I know :o I use one of everything and wash in between baking because if I had more stuff I know I'd have the kitchen wrecked with bowls, spatulas, etc and would just keep going until all of them were dirty then have to do mammoth wash up!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

That's great to know Acoshla I'd have no prob keeping the critters out of the kitchen when baking..normally everyone is banished from the kitchen anyway.
    Would you have to have two sinks if you have a dishwasher?
    I hate washing up but at the same time I find if I need the same bowl again it's quicker to wash up then wait for the dishwasher to finish and good point if you buy more of the same you only end up with a pile of stuff to wash up in the end. Mind you could do with a few more sieves and mixing bowls.

I always wanted a bigger sink, it's just a standard one I think two sinks would fit though, the kitchen is off the utility which also has a sink it it would that count there's so close to each other same units, tiling etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tootired

I have 1.5 sink and a dishwasher which was just sufficient. I think a seperate sink in the utility would work. There's no harm calling your local EHO, they're generally very helful.

Advertisement