Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options for Laptop upgrade?

Options
  • 25-06-2011 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi all, I'm looking to upgrade my laptop as funds are tight and can't afford anything new at present. I was hoping to run audio and video editing applications like CS5 and premier pro. I was just wondering what options are available to me for upgrading?

I have a Samsung R60 plus, spec as follows:

An Intel Core 2 Duo T2330 processor 1.6GHz, with 2GB.

Would I get better performance if I upgraded to Windows 7? And is there anything else I should consider to get it up to speed?

Thanks for replies in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

To start, what is your budget for upgrading?

Laptops aren't great for video editing in general, and the slower chip you have, really isn't going to cut it in Adobe CS5 Programs now-a-days.

You'll probably need a whole new laptop if you want to be able to edit comfortably!

Windows 7 is a must if you are running Vista anyway.
    More Ram would help, but I don't know if your Laptop will even support more ram.
    I would assume your Graphics chip isn't really up to the task of editing, and only top end laptops allow you to change them. (I think anyway?)

In truth, you're better off saving up, and splashing out on a desktop if you want to do video editing. The laptop, I Don't think will be up to the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭The Duke of Moral Hazard

Mister Man wrote: »
    To start, what is your budget for upgrading?

Laptops aren't great for video editing in general, and the slower chip you have, really isn't going to cut it in Adobe CS5 Programs now-a-days.

You'll probably need a whole new laptop if you want to be able to edit comfortably!

Windows 7 is a must if you are running Vista anyway.
    More Ram would help, but I don't know if your Laptop will even support more ram.
    I would assume your Graphics chip isn't really up to the task of editing, and only top end laptops allow you to change them. (I think anyway?)

In truth, you're better off saving up, and splashing out on a desktop if you want to do video editing. The laptop, I Don't think will be up to the job.

Thanks for the info. My budget is limited to about €200. I can get a copy of Windows 7 for about €100 so that only leaves €100 for other up-grades. I think I'll take your advice and save up, maybe I build my own PC. It was always something I wanted to do.

Any idea, ball park, it would cost to build a decent piece of kit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

If you are a student or have a friend or family member who is a student you can get Win7 here for €45
    http://www.software4students.ie/Microsoft_Windows_7_Professional_64_bit_Upgrade_Edition-details.aspx

As for building a pc, with help from the guys here anything you build will be good for the budget you have. To get a decent computer probably €600 would do it but it depends on what you need. Monitors for example cost a lot so if you don't need one then you can get a better build. If you look through a few of the threads here you will see computers going from €400 up to €6200.

Advertisement