Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The closest degree to marketing offered in UCD / TRINiTy

Options
  • 25-06-2011 5:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hello,

Im planning on transferring to dublin with my family in the near future. Ive already finished 2 years of Business Administration (marketing) in an american-accredited university. After researching supposedly the top 2 unis in Dublin, Trinity and UCD, I realised that theres no raw marketing degree offered in either. I dont mind losing a few credits switching to a similar degree, as long as it is relevant to marketing. What degrees from the would at least land a proper marketing job from UCD or Trinity? They both seem to be obsessed with diversification rather than specialization. Would you think the Bachelor of Commerce (international) degree from UCD would get marketing jobs? Or would it just be a general business degree that i have to further specialize by mastering in marketing? What about Trinity? It just doesnt make sense that the same degree could get you a job in accounting or one in marketing. The institution I come from has a difference of about 10 courses between each specialization to ensure that you know your stuff, and not just generally know a bit of everything.

I hope that I wasn't confusing, Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Doug89

Hi,

I'm currently doing the BComm International that you mentioned in UCD, you can specialize in marketing for your final year, but it's a bit watered down with the language modules, so if I were you I'd just do plain Commerce in UCD.

I'm probably going to be killed by Trinity people, but it doesn't have the best reputation for business courses...

Alternatively there's a raw marketing course in DIT, which despite the name actually has university status and is well regarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

This is Ireland not America, expect things to be done differently. Marketing degrees are usually postgraduate courses (e.g. this). Apart from that, it's either a BComm in UCD or BESS in Trinity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 redfoo

@Doug89: Thanks for your feedback. But I cant help but wonder, what field are you trying to get in then if its a little vague for marketing?

@El Siglo: Im completely aware of that, so it is only truly complete with a masters then.

Well, in my first and second years we did a bit of most business subjects, along with French language and lit.

Then my third year was spent in France, where I took 80% marketing modules, through French.

For my final year I get to pick whatever I want - it's only plain commerce that MUST follow a channel. So I'm thinking (alongside my mandatory two French language and two lit modules and the strategy one we've to do) a module on social media, a module on webdesign and getting 'clicks', a module on analytics, a webmarketing module, a module on the future of work (which is HRM) and one on gender and diversity in the workplace.

With all this, I haven't a clue what I want to do exactly, but I think it leaves me with a lot of options open. I'd be looking at kind of innovative marketing jobs, blah blah....

Ps, I didn't do it 'to get into marketing', I just wanted to do a general business degree with French, and this is what I've landed in.

• Advertisement

Thats great. it seems you got it figured out. The only thing that worries me is that I have a feeling companies might choose people who have pure marketing degrees that may be comin from the big names in UK and so on. Or is it that the marketing knowledge we get from this degree is sufficient to land a marketing job that you could get by having a normal marketing degree?

I would say that it's fairly sufficient, ask around though, check out job ads.

Lifted from their website -
    UCD Quinn School is also the only business school in Ireland to hold both the American College of Business accreditation, AACSB (International), and the top European accreditation, EQUIS.

And as far as I know it's one of only 3 or something in Ireland and the UK.

But, if you want a pure marketing degree, go to DIT.

great. UCD it is then. Thanks :)

Advertisement