Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are HTC Crap?

• 25-06-2011 7:15pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Recently bought a HTC Desire S Android 2.3 and the phone crashes at least once a day could be doing anything writing a text or unlocking the phone talking to a few colleagues and they seem to have the sam issue on other HTC Devices do you think its poor software or hardware?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Jaysus dont know about that. no problems with my Desire HD anyways. I be always changing roms and all that on it so it never realy gets a chance to ack the geebag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

i don't think its HTC themselves i think it might just be android, happens on my desire and transformer, both randomly blackscreen throughout the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭Obskure

My buddy had a Desire S. In fact he went through 3 of them. In the end he swapped out for a Nexus S. The fault was never explained, but the camera crashed the phone every time. I have had a Desire and never displayed a problem. On the other hand, My Desire HD died due to faulty board. Had it replaced immediately and nothing since

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

It definitely not:

Android in general
    or
    HTC in general.

Must be just a bad desire s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

It must've been just a bad individual phone. My Desire hasn't had any problems and I've had it since release.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

The HD2 running Android is a superb phone and has a cult like following on XDA developers, it may no longer be the best smartphone available but it was for a long time despite what apple fanboys will say.

I have sold mine and i miss it but im looking forward to when i get my Galaxy S2.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

I have a Desire S and must say that I have no real problems. Just one, where folders wont open without a reboot. But this only happens once a week or so. Seems to be a problem with HTC Sense software.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

It definitely not:

Android in general
    or
    HTC in general.

Must be just a bad desire s.

I'd go with this. Myself & my missus have Desire HDs. Mine has a million apps on it, hers is stable (doesn't install many apps).
    Both are very reliable. No crashes at all.

Bring it in to the shop, obviously crashing once a day is not expected or acceptable behaviour. They will wipe the phone though so back it up first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

Crap is probably a bit harsh, but they have mis stepped with their recent launches. I think HTC are a bit overrated, other manufacturers have stepped up their games too.
    I have issues with HTC in regards to Sense (overhyped bloatware, IMHO) and the pitiful battery HTC ship their phones with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭harr

I had bad problems with DHD was going to send it back (died 2 or 3 times a day and would not install apps at times) but all is ok since the latest software update,i would say bring it back to shop for replacement.
    The HTC sense is crap all right and i don't use it that much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I've only had two crashes in 6+ months with a Desire Z, and I hardly ever turn off my phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭ninja 12

I'm on my third HTC phone .

Touch Cruise 09 ( still in use by my wife ) , then a HD Mini and now a Desire S - my first Android phone .

All have frozen / crashed at one point or another , but not often enough to worry about it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I've got my Desire S for about 2 months now, no issues.

Its my second HTC phone & my third Android phone. I think the OP just got a bad one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Might be just you

Had a HTC HD2, HD7 had no problems with em.

Then my gf has the Desire and it works like a charm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

HTC Desire S - no problems here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

I'm HTC phoen user for last 4-5 years, had WinMo phone before, now 2nd year on Hero and going strong.
    They have their problems (ie. overheating Desire's), which are covered by warranty, but overall they're very good phones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I've had 4 HTC phones in a row now - no problems.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Had a Desire since April last year, no crash issues for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I have to say my Desire has been pretty bulletproof.

The Sense UI is great, especially the dialer, but I did find it was a memory hog. I've played around with various ROMs and different launchers, I found the phone ran best without Sense installed. (Using Cyanogenmod 7 now)

If you do drop sense, try using the GO Launcher and GO Dialer, they incorporate all the best features of Sense without hogging memory.

I'm out of contract now so I could upgrade to a Sensation or Galaxy S II but the Desire is still powerful enough to last me another while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭madmoe

seanybiker wrote: »
    Jaysus dont know about that. no problems with my Desire HD anyways. I be always changing roms and all that on it so it never realy gets a chance to ack the geebag.

Which ROM you running mate? I'm on the latest Cyanogen Mod 7 and like it a lot.

Cheers,
    M

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Eoin_Sheehy

Recently bought a HTC Desire S Android 2.3 and the phone crashes at least once a day could be doing anything writing a text or unlocking the phone talking to a few colleagues and they seem to have the sam issue on other HTC Devices do you think its poor software or hardware?

Desire S with 2.3, is this official firmware?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Desire S with 2.3, is this official firmware?
    The Desire S comes with Gingerbread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 105 ✭✭daveyboynire

I have a Desire S on Orange, No issues at all for me however I have read of others having issues with the phone, I am wondering if its a problem with specific operator crap causing the crashing, As I say my Orange branded phone has no issues at all

• Registered Users Posts: 2 g hughes

Hi, looking to by a new P.A.Y.G android phone for the vodafone network,I know nothing about these phones, any suggestions as to what to buy or what to avoid? thanks Gerry:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭corpo3030

I have the Wildfire s my first HTC phone I've had no problem with it at all. Actually as easy to use as the iPhone 3GS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

g hughes wrote: »
    Hi, looking to by a new P.A.Y.G android phone for the vodafone network,I know nothing about these phones, any suggestions as to what to buy or what to avoid? thanks Gerry:)

If your looking for a budget phone HTC Wildfire S is a good mid end phone.

If your looking for something more decent, a few HD 3D games or something look into the Desire S or HTC Sensation or Samsung Galaxy S II.

Ive sold tons of wildfires and desires and never got one of them back in store and generally customers are delighted with either of the choices :)

Galaxy Ace is also a good mid end phone. But from personal experience i think Wildfire S is a better package and runs alot smoother and nicer considering their the same price.

The lowest price smartphone would be Sammy's Galaxy Mini at 99 euro on meteor :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

I have a Desire for about a year, no problems until recently when it starts rebooting when using the 3g (but not wireless).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Wildfire S user here, no issues other than the paltry internal memory, can't wait to root it when a software one comes along....

• Registered Users Posts: 30 xxtrazaxx

i have a wildfire and it does seem to crash alot when im playing music

• Advertisement
Advertisement