Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Points predictions

• 25-06-2011 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,666 ✭✭✭✭

What are the 'predictions' for what courses/subjects will go up/down this year?

Ive a particular interest in the points for:
    BESS in TCD
    and
    Commerce in UCD

anybody know the predictions for these?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

Same as last year...

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭higgz

Same as last year...

I'd agree there. Points in large courses like that rarely change. Also there's no reason for people to suddenly want a business career in this economic climate so I'd imagine those points should either be the same or they may even come down slightly.

I'm looking to do MSISS. Points were 380 last year which was a new low. The course was 540 about 10 years ago.

Interest for secure employment and a push towards IT related subjects might cause a slight rise. It's also a small course which means the cut off point is more likely to vary.

However, there has already been a push towards "smart economy" courses over the past few years but there just seems to be a lack of interest among students. Maybe the points will just stay the same :D

The number of applicants to CAO is pretty much the same so course points will be pretty much the same. In the end, how are we suppose to know what every person in Ireland wants to do? How are we suppose to know what YOU want to do until after you told us?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,666 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Swear there were articles in the newspapers about how many people applied to different courses etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

Well they will either go up, go down or remain the same...

AdamD wrote: »
    Swear there were articles in the newspapers about how many people applied to different courses etc..

You do know you can still change your course choices until the 1st don't you?

Well they will either go up, go down or remain the same...

Never a truer word spoken.

Yes I realise that, but those changes wont suddenly buck the trends this year, I'm sure there are predictions out there..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Not sure on what grounds you can predict something like that from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

Do we have to go through the whole string of "zomg points are soooo unpredictable" posts again?

We know, ok? Some people like to do it anyway.

• Advertisement

Might aswell get some discussion going

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Geog ariphic

BrendaN_f wrote: »
    Insecure girls. how sweet.

i find this whole argument sickly-sweet. I was looking for what i hoped would be an informed discussion on what type of courses were likely to rise or fall in points, because my course, BEES in UCC, has never been particularly high but with interest and employement rising in this area (environmental science) i'm starting to get fairly worried that i mightn't get in.

Also, sexism is only acceptable WHEN IT'S FUNNY. So stfu. =D

...informed discussion...

It is next to impossible to hold an informed discussion on LC points. You can look at how many people applied, read the stats and debate if this course will go up, go down or stay the same.

If I remember rightly, points for CAO courses are based on the number of people applying to said course and what points said people get. Therefore, one does not only need to consider the number of people applying but also how well they have done in the LC. Which is leaves us with a discussion that is nothing more than conjecturer.

My advice,

DO fill out your CAO form in the order of your preference.
    DO NOT fill out your CAO form with course you think you will get the points for.
    DO NOT fill out your CAO form with courses you think you'll find a job in.
    DO fill out your CAO form in the order of your preference.

When I filled out the CAO four years ago, my top four preferences were all law, and after than was science. I am now a scientist and I bloody love it. That is because I filled it out in order of preference, not in order of what point I thought I might get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Right! I have just deleted a bitchfest out of this thread.

I have not handed out any cards or bans *this* time, as I am old enough to understand that grumpiness is actually a typical enough reaction after a period of stress, when the adrenalin seeps away and you're left with a sense of anti-climax.

Please note however that my patience is not without limits.

Any more of this and the excrement WILL hit the fan!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Arts and Social Science has dropped in 1st preference but increased in total applications.

Does this mean it will increase or go down?

1st pref : was 16,659 in last year, now is 16,244

Total : was 98,134 last year, now is 99, 114

karaokeman wrote: »
    Arts and Social Science has dropped in 1st preference but increased in total applications.

Does this mean it will increase or go down?

1st pref : was 16,659 in last year, now is 16,244

Total : was 98,134 last year, now is 99, 114

Again, impossible to say as we don't know what points these people got. While the number may have dropped the people applying may have gotten higher points than years before, in which case it would prob remain the same or go up. If the numbers have dropped and the people applying have gotten lower points than years before then it will likely drop.

If I remember right I think the points for courses are based on 1st preferences, but I am open to correction on that...

Advertisement