Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best cut of beef for burger mince?

Options
  • 25-06-2011 9:32pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I want to make up a load of mince for making burgers and am a bit unsure what cut would give the best patties. I reckon something with about 15% fat, no nervy bits, maybe something off the rib might do the job?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭stick shooter

Not 100% sure, but i would reckon sirloin would be best .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,455 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Not 100% sure, but i would reckon sirloin would be best .
    I would definitely not use a prime cut. Maybe shin or shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭Murt10

An absolute must when you are making any home made burgers is a sprinkle of Aromat from Knorr.

Makes a huge difference to the taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭stick shooter

duploelabs wrote: »
    I would definitely not use a prime cut. Maybe shin or shoulder.

With venison we usually use the saddle for burgers .I know its a waste being the prime cut . We add pork fat and a few other products.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

Chuck gets my vote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I bone out the ribs and mix it with soft pork fat.
    Works well for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

we use shin at work for burgers and a small bit of pork, pure waste using prime cut

• Registered Users Posts: 11,455 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

There's shed loads of msg in aromat, egh

• Registered Users Posts: 39,419 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Murt10 wrote: »
    An absolute must when you are making any home made burgers is a sprinkle of Aromat from Knorr.

Makes a huge difference to the taste.
    duploelabs wrote: »
    There's shed loads of msg in aromat, egh

Much more than shedloads, Aromat is essentially a brand name for MSG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44,501 ✭✭✭✭Deki

Over here MSG is sold as Accent. It comes in a shaker like salt and sprinkle it on before frying or grilling. I think Chuck roast is best for burgers, sorry mince. Sirloin is very lean and dry- great taste, but not much fat. Round is good too although leaner than Chuck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

as above posters said shin and shoulder or chuck is the abosulte best for mincing, nice fat running through it that is flavoursome and will keep burgers from drying out, using sirloin etc is like using a brand new bmw in a car bomb scene in a movie:a complete waste :)

also as above says aromat is basically msg, you can buy nice organic flavourings in health shops now that wont leave you with headaches and palpatations :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

billybudd wrote: »
    also as above says aromat is basically msg, you can buy nice organic flavourings in health shops now that wont leave you with headaches and palpatations :p

Not everyone reacts to MSG and those that do tend to have the same problems with naturally occurring glutamates too.

I'd be far more concerned about the amount of salt in some food than I would MSG.

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Not everyone reacts to MSG and those that do tend to have the same problems with naturally occurring glutamates too.

I'd be far more concerned about the amount of salt in some food than I would MSG.

Well it was a tongue in cheek remark, hence the tongue :p

as a matter of fact msg is a salt, a form of acid sodium that is just more developed than salt, they are both not good over used.

Advertisement