Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum rate of pay for night shift workers?

Options
  • 25-06-2011 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭

I have worked a night shift from 12a.m to 7a.m and I got paid 8.64 Euro per hour. I've read Citizensinformation.ie website about this matter, but I was not entirely clear about this, because it showed an hourly rate which is considerably higher than this. So what is the absolute minimum hourly rate of pay for those who work between 9 p.m and 7a.m? I mean in any occupation at all.

Thanks for your information!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

From what I can see there are no minimum rates.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/hours_of_work/night_work.html

But anywhere I know always paid time and a 1/2 or a 1/3. This may be in the form of a shift allowance paid on top of wages.

The only exception was hotel work (a good few years ago). It was just flat rate for nights (10-6).

Basically it says about you can work for what ever you sign up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

If you work in a sector covered by JLC or REAs (Joint Labour Committees or Registered Employment Agreements) then there is a minimum. In not then there is no obligation on the employer to pay you a single cent more.

Advertisement