Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant reviews/deals

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

Tried lunch in the Townhouse last Saturday, after all their Facebook statuses I thought I'd give it a go. Very disappointed to be honest. The fishcakes were 95% potato, a damp salad and soggy chips. Won't be back. The price is a bit steep for the quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭buzz55

I saw this deal on livingsocial and tbh I thought it was a bit steep still - would you really pay 93 euro for a 2 course meal with a glass of wine at full price?? :eek: It is still a pub after all...

Have been to the Oslo again lately....service can be very hit & miss there I find. Some of the staff seem to have a serious 'I'm so cool' attitude going on!

Also tried out the Thursday pasta special in Capones in Knocknacarra - 2 pasta dishes, 2 glasses of wine for 14.95. Have to say it was pretty darn tasty (chicken pesto pasta & carbonara) - and great value at the price.

Also got sucked in to another deal on living social for Cookes restaurant - any tips on what the best thing to order there is or if there is anything to avoid?

Other than the townhouse deal, if the rest of the deals keep coming then I'm going to have to get bigger pants :p

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭ourtrail

Have eaten several time in The Townhouse and would love to know where they are pulling the €93 valuation for the livingsocial deal out of, their food is good but as good as you would get anywhere!

Went to Khazana, the Indian place in Lough George outside Claregalway a few weeks back. Booked ahead but were the only ones there (it was a sunny Tuesday evening mind). Lovely decor and well this wouldnt usually capture my attention but the music was very soothing. 2 starters, 2 mains, 2 desserts and 2 glasses of wine came to about €53 which I thought was excellent. I am normally one for Indian food but this was excellent, I had the Chicken Rogan Josh for my main and it was beyond words yummy! Service was excellent too, no long wait for food and staff seemed to appear at exactly the right time which I found strange but couldnt complain about! Picked the place for a change and both diners were extremely pleased.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

buzz55 wrote: »
    Have been to the Oslo again lately....service can be very hit & miss there I find. Some of the staff seem to have a serious 'I'm so cool' attitude going on!

I've only eaten in the Oslo once but I go there quite often for drinks and I have to say that, as a pub, I think it's great. Fantastic beer selection, plenty of Irish craft brews, nice decor, and an atmosphere that's conducive to good conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Was just in Kelly's for a bit of dinner. Had breakfast a few times there, and it was only ok for that, but just had the chickpea casserole and it will be the last time I go in there.

The casserole was basically a soup bowl that was half full, with 5 slices of pitta bread. I counted and I think there was two small fourettes of brocolli and about 12 chickpeas? All for the low low price of €8.50ish.

When the barman brought it to me I nearly said "wtf?" out loud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭buzz55

Had a disappointing meal in the Royal Villa in Salthill recently. Just found the whole thing really bland.
    Got chicken satay skewers for starter, dont think I've ever had a worse attempt at satay - it was like a really thin gravy :(

Main course of beef was very 'meh' also, just no real taste off it.

Dessert was very good alright, redeemed itself slightly with that.

But overall, I expected so much more - in my opinion, they really need to get basic dishes such as satay right. They could learn a lot from Tamarind or the Thai Garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

I know what you mean. Thier idea of service is poor anytime I've been there. It's a nice pub but their food prices are ridiculous for what you get. I only ate there once and I had a (very small) serving of some pasta dish which was only ok and they were asking for another euro if you wanted some grated parmesan! Come off it!!

Also tried out the Thursday pasta special in Capones in Knocknacarra - 2 pasta dishes, 2 glasses of wine for 14.95. Have to say it was pretty darn tasty (chicken pesto pasta & carbonara) - and great value at the price.

I must try that out....have only ever got takeaway pizza from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭jacksprat

Not too many people i know from around Galway seem to know about this place (think they are located out in ballybane somewhere) so I said id spread the good word on their behalf!

gorgeous pizza and they seem to have a buy one get one free deal on all year round! which works out at E6.95 between two people for two 16.5" plain cheese pizza's incl.garlic dip! (not sure about other prices as thats all i ever order)

i'v been taking full adavantage of this place for two years now during the college year just thought they deserve the praise for such good value!

i'm i not in galway over summers but i believe they have relocated to somewhere near eyre square now..?!

anywhoooo, credit where credit is due! enjoy!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Is this a shill?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Dr. Bad Touch

Their pizzas are nice enough, but I think the wedges/chips and sauces are CACK! Good value for money tho

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭jacksprat

*googles shill*

no sir this is a slightly over enthusiastic customer i suppose! :P
    I've never had their chips or wedges so i wont comment! but i think their pizza's are very nice and i also love their garlic sauce! each to their own i guess!
    can anyone confirm or deny if they have indeed moved to somewhere around eyre square..??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

nice try mizzonis! although i do like your pizzas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Where is it? I tried looking for it once but couldn't find it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭fatguy2k1

Where is it? I tried looking for it once but couldn't find it.

there is one near the supermacs on eyre square. got a super pizza from there - it was nom nom nom. and you can get a blo0dy massive pizza from them too. i agree the wedges weren't gerat though

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

All I'm saying is...
    Mizzioni in Dundalk has a pasta meal deal for about a tenner, which I have enjoyed on more than on occasion.
    Imagine my disappointment the day I rang Mizzioni Galway and they said "we don't do pasta deals"..
    I did this...
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

To start, i've been here a few times and love the food.

Tonight they were swamped with the crowd and when we went in at 0200 they just could not cope, the Italian guy(owner/manager/runs it) was getting more and more angry and ended up shouting at people and telling them to step back from the counter and or leave as they were loud. The girl behind the counter had tears in her eyes and it was very harsh as she was clearly doing her best. They should not open this late as they clearly can't cope. I've been in on a regular Friday and Saturday and they find it hard and tonight was clearly a step way too far for them. Its really a pity as the food is great. If he had another person serving it would have at least helped.
    Hopefully they solve it or just stop opening late nights as it just doesn't work.

papagormo wrote: »
    All I'm saying is...
    Mizzioni in Dundalk has a pasta meal deal for about a tenner, which I have enjoyed on more than on occasion.
    Imagine my disappointment the day I rang Mizzioni Galway and they said "we don't do pasta deals"..
    I did this...
    :(
    Maybe Mizzioni Dundalk and Mizzoni Galway are unrelated!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

To start, i've been here a few times and love the food.

Tonight they were swamped with the crowd and when we went in at 0200 they just could not cope, the Italian guy(owner/manager/runs it) was getting more and more angry and ended up shouting at people and telling them to step back from the counter and or leave as they were loud. The girl behind the counter had tears in her eyes and it was very harsh as she was clearly doing her best. They should not open this late as they clearly can't cope. I've been in on a regular Friday and Saturday and they find it hard and tonight was clearly a step way too far for them. Its really a pity as the food is great. If he had another person serving it would have at least helped.
    Hopefully they solve it or just stop opening late nights as it just doesn't work.

Most overated pizza in Galway.

And they never leave it in the oven for long enough. I've had pizza there that had ice cold cheese on it. I'd ask them to put it in another couple of minutes and the cheese would still be cold.

Why? They put too much cheese on their pizzas so the cheese at the bottom doesn't get the heat of the oven.

Wouldn't eat there again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Maybe Mizzioni Dundalk and Mizzoni Galway are unrelated!!

That's sad.

That's sad.
    Pedantic at worst.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 204 ✭✭GuessWho2009

Gotta agree with review on Khazana. Very good value and food is gorgous.

Decided to try the arches €6 meal. went in starters came pretty quickly. was okay, but we were then waiting at least 30 min after we finished and none of the staff came down to take our plates away. they were just standing round talking. my gf couldnt take it anymore as our 2 year old was with us and was getting extremly frustrated in the high chair, he just wanted to get up and run around so she actually cleared the plates herself and brought them up to the counter and said we were finished them for at least 30 min. 2 min later they brought us out our mains, i got the wrong one which i sent back but sorry i did because sheppards pie was bruthal

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Gal44

I just heard about this place.. starter and main for 15euro anybody been there?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah it's pretty good

Gal44 wrote: »
    I just heard about this place.. starter and main for 15euro anybody been there?
    Search it here as there was a thread on it in the last few weeks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

brmccfc wrote: »
    nice try mizzonis! although i do like your pizzas

There in Eye Square beside supermacs now, been there twice and there chips are half raw and taste bland, will never be back there again thats for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

Scotty's is very good if you like Steak, Pizza or burgers,
    been there loads and i think it's the best burger place in galway.
    So many different types of burger and it's good value for what you get.
    on the down side the parking is terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Rouge is lovely, minimalist, good food. Amuse bouche and a mains from a selection of three for €15, can't go wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

My wife and I are heading out for dinner on Sat with 2 friends who are over to visit.
    Just wondering if anyone knows anywhere in town that are doing good deals. Not early bird, it'd be 8pm by the time we're out.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭crally

Has anyone been to Kai on Sea Road, getting a lot of good reviews. i went and i found it so-so and very expensive. 24euro for belly pork.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

crally wrote: »
    Has anyone been to Kai on Sea Road, getting a lot of good reviews. i went and i found it so-so and very expensive. 24euro for belly pork.....

I have, was there about a month ago with a group of 8 on a Thursday. I found the restaurant to be very nice in terms of layout, staff are nice but maybe a bit lax (on the day at least).

Food is nicely prepared with good quality ingredients, menu is quite sparse and changing all the time i think, which is not necessarily a bad thing but maybe they should keep a couple of dishes from each category as a fixed item on the menu.

One strange thing was that we ordered steak (medium rare) and it came out medium to well so we sent them back and the kitchen came back with "we have no more steak" which was a bit ehhh...(never happened to me before) The taste was nice and the dish was well balanced in terms of taste but in such a high end establishment i would first of all expect them to cook them to our liking and if not I would have expected to get new ones.

As a whole it was a positive experience though and appreciated by my guests, but they could improve a few little things and drop the dishes a couple of euro. Would still recommend people to try it, I am very fuzzy after all. :-)

Advertisement