Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick Question: Merlin Park Hospital

Options
  • 26-06-2011 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭

One of these photos is merlin park, the other; Chernobyl. Spot which is which

3474056789_7ca36514f7.jpg?v=0

ghosttownpripyatnearchetc1_bizarre-stuff_funny_cute_amazing_20090730101947284.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Simple, Galway city planners are allergic to anything over 3-4 storeys high, design wise, they were seperated at birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

The sign in English is a giveaway. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Chris Hansen

The sign in English is a giveaway. :P

Self-facepalm on my behalf!

Jaysus though have you ever seen the likes of it? I had the misfortune of entering this wasteland today, and f-me I was stunned

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭FrPhelimYoung

RemInds me of the original designs of the RTCs / ITs. Product of Eire back in the 60's and 70's. The original purpose of Merlin Park was as a TB Sanitorium, open to correction on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

RemInds me of the original designs of the RTCs / ITs. Product of Eire back in the 60's and 70's. The original purpose of Merlin Park was as a TB Sanitorium, open to correction on that.

AFAIk you're correct..grim memories of going up to Merlin as a kid to get teeth sorted and that building just set the tone...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭FrPhelimYoung

From Wikipedia....it's the Kiwis fault!!!

Merlin Park Regional Hospital

Merlin Park Regional Hospital is a public hospital in Galway in the Republic of Ireland. It provides rheumatology and orthopaedic services. The hospital was built in the mid 20th century on the ground of the Merlin Park estate in order to combat the spread of tuberculosis in the region. The area was designed by New Zealand architect Norman White. It was opened to the public in 1954.

this hospital is a 18,000-square-foot (1,700*m2) hospital that employs over 200 staff

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

In fairness, that building houses the utilities on site, power, water, heat etc, so it was never going to b e pretty. Given the fact that the hospital is being slowly but surely wound down, its not really surprising that some of it looks the worse the worse for wear.The design is from the 50's and its typical of the time. Having said that, it has nicer views and surrounding than most hospitals.
    Don't remember who mentioned it first, but it was indeed originally built as a TB hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

AFAIk you're correct..grim memories of going up to Merlin as a kid to get teeth sorted and that building just set the tone...

Same as that.. Unit 8.. *shudder*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

In fairness, that building houses the utilities on site, power, water, heat etc, so it was never going to b e pretty. Given the fact that the hospital is being slowly but surely wound down, its not really surprising that some of it looks the worse the worse for wear.The design is from the 50's and its typical of the time. Having said that, it has nicer views and surrounding than most hospitals.
    Don't remember who mentioned it first, but it was indeed originally built as a TB hospital.

I think that's an old photo, the boiler house was completely refurbished in the last few years

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Same as that.. Unit 8.. *shudder*

Was the waiting room missing some windows? Remember it being freezing and that horrible flaking yellow industrial paint. I remember the crazy big metal instruments they used.

• Advertisement

The boiler house pictured above has been done up since that photo. I worked in merlin park for 4 summers and I have nothing but fond memorys. Lovely place to work loads of green areas etc. If you had to be in hospital its a much nicer place to be than stuck in a city centre hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Mother spent most of her last couple of years there.
    Loved it.
    Hated the Regional when she had to go for tests and stuff.
    They tried her in a nursing home for a couple of weeks and she nearly done a runner.
    Its a lovely place and the staff are a lot more personal/attentive than they would be able to be in a 'regular' hospital.
    With a couple of small upgrades it would be as good as any of the US Retirement Villages and would be accessible to people who arent millionaires.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Was on a photowalk in Merlin Park woods on Saturday and spotted the building in question. 'Tis no Chernobyl anymore...

e028b07b.jpg

7e14e2ca.jpg

Advertisement