Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OCD?

Options
  • 26-06-2011 1:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi Everyone,

I'm not sure what this is but It sounds like Pure O. A couple of years ago something bad happened me and since then i've been suffering with panic attacks. My panic attacks have seemed to escalated into intrusive thoughts. The intrusive thoughts are frustrating and upsetting but i was beginning to handle them and all of a sudden a year ago I started to get extreme self doubt. An example is this. If something bad happens me or i feel depressed or if i'm just alone in my room etc. my immediate thought is 'Swallow a battery' or 'Swallow bleach' etc. You get the jest. if i am angr or annoyed my thoughts jump to swallwing things. This is annoying and frustrating but now after I get the thought I question if i have done it and start to believe i have when i haven't. So if i think 'Swallow a battery' Then i'll spend the day/week/month convinced i did swallow a battery and convinced i'm a walking time bomb waiting to explode. I'm scared all the time that i will swallow a battery. I don't want to be alone and it's affecting my life. Why do i doubt myself? I convinced myself i've swallowed one. Has anyone got the same issue?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭Chris Hansen

Hi Everyone,

I'm not sure what this is but It sounds like Pure O. A couple of years ago something bad happened me and since then i've been suffering with panic attacks. My panic attacks have seemed to escalated into intrusive thoughts. The intrusive thoughts are frustrating and upsetting but i was beginning to handle them and all of a sudden a year ago I started to get extreme self doubt. An example is this. If something bad happens me or i feel depressed or if i'm just alone in my room etc. my immediate thought is 'Swallow a battery' or 'Swallow bleach' etc. You get the jest. if i am angr or annoyed my thoughts jump to swallwing things. This is annoying and frustrating but now after I get the thought I question if i have done it and start to believe i have when i haven't. So if i think 'Swallow a battery' Then i'll spend the day/week/month convinced i did swallow a battery and convinced i'm a walking time bomb waiting to explode. I'm scared all the time that i will swallow a battery. I don't want to be alone and it's affecting my life. Why do i doubt myself? I convinced myself i've swallowed one. Has anyone got the same issue?
    OP, no one here will be able to really answer if you have OCD, you should get yourself off to a doctor who youd be comfortable explaining this to.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

A battery is quite large and not going to break up that easy, when compared to food, etc. I am confident if you did swallow a battery it would be a very unpleasant and certainly a memmorable experience. The next time you start to question whether you may have swallowed a battery recently, you can draw from the fact you're not crouched over in pain as a good sign it didn't happen.

So that's a small practical tip to focus on. Also you should arrange to have a chat with a professional. The right one will do you the world of good. I have relatives & friends that work with people with similar conditions. However I am not in a position to diagnose. Your first port of call should be your or "a" GP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 frustrated99

A battery is quite large and not going to break up that easy, when compared to food, etc. I am confident if you did swallow a battery it would be a very unpleasant and certainly a memmorable experience. The next time you start to question whether you may have swallowed a battery recently, you can draw from the fact you're not crouched over in pain as a good sign it didn't happen.

So that's a small practical tip to focus on. Also you should arrange to have a chat with a professional. The right one will do you the world of good. I have relatives & friends that work with people with similar conditions. However I am not in a position to diagnose. Your first port of call should be your or "a" GP.

Thanks. I know my next step is a professional. I'm quite a normal person and usually quite logical but for some reason these worries keep coming up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

hi there

i'm afraid we cant speculate on your diagnosis, you should see your doctor.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement