Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 at Glasto - Yay or Nay

Options
  • 26-06-2011 5:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭

Did they crack it or not?

I'm ambivalent about them at the best of times - i.e. I usually hate 'em, but they have done some great stuff over the years.

But I think they may just have aced Glastonbury.

From what I saw, Bono kept his gob shut and just sang their classics.

And he didn't thrust his cock in the audience's face, like he usually does with his adoring fans (probably 'cos he knew the Glasto crowd would bite it off).

Anyways, from the little I've seen, they looked "well good".

Grr... Begrudgery etc. :pac:

Did U2 do the biz at Glastonbury 2011? 45 votes

Yes
    0%
    No
    100%
    cyberspiderdougalBlistermanThird_Echelonyom 1DingChavezbullpostBodhidharmaadrian522johnny_adidasciano1Vertigo100TabnabsDouble Cmurpho999scudzillaZzippyRabidlambjackhammerleincar 45 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭BlueBaron

No
    I taught they were brilliant!..put on a great show

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

No
    Just finished watching it on Youtube.

Amazing show! they gave the people their moneys worth. It'll definitely go down as one of the best Glastonbury shows ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

No
    For your consideration.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,938 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

No
    As much as i hate Bonio i think the band nailed it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

AS MUCH AS I HATE BONO :eek:...well, you know it goes after starting with a typical, over used statement like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

No
    Brendog wrote: »
    For your consideration.....

34193_1.jpg

"G'wan, ya good thing!"

*Voted positive* :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

No
    As much as people hate Bono that does not deny the fact no one has voted "No" yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Not a fan at all but they definitely nailed it, very well done, despite bono dipping into insanity a couple of times talking to spacemen and what not.. did they seriously have the astronaut that was married to Gabrielle Gifford on?? Ha ha what the ****?? Bizarre. Anyway apart from all that crap they definitely did well, better than i expected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Deregos

No
    I'm glad to see a little bit of positivity for U2, they performed well enough. . There's been a huge wave of criticism of late . . especially for Bono, & while some of that criticism might very well be justified, a lot of it is just haters venting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭John400

No
    Deregos wrote: »
    I'm glad to see a little bit of positivity for U2, they performed well enough. . There's been a huge wave of criticism of late . . especially for Bono, & while some of that criticism might very well be justified, a lot of it is just haters venting.
    As regards the recent criticism- people are entitled to their opinions but i found the U2-bashing over the tax thing ridiculous and in all honesty a bit ludicrious.

Reasons? They did the tax thing five years ago at this stage and for protesters to turn up at Glastonbury- when there are most certainly other bands (high profile and otherwise) who've been doing the same thing, some for donkeys years tax wise- was in my view wholly wrong because it gave the false impression that U2 are the only band in the history of rock who've ever done it! Of course they're not!

Where's the protests at the other band's gigs who've done the same tax thing and who bang the same drum Bono does over causes? Nowhere to be seen. Extremely unfair.

Anyway, back to U2 at Glasto- they nailed it. No two ways about it. Excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭James400

No
    John400 wrote: »
    As regards the recent criticism- people are entitled to their opinions but i found the U2-bashing over the tax thing ridiculous and in all honesty a bit ludicrious.

Reasons? They did the tax thing five years ago at this stage and for protesters to turn up at Glastonbury- when there are most certainly other bands (high profile and otherwise) who've been doing the same thing, some for donkeys years tax wise- was in my view wholly wrong because it gave the false impression that U2 are the only band in the history of rock who've ever done it! Of course they're not!

Where's the protests at the other band's gigs who've done the same tax thing and who bang the same drum Bono does over causes? Nowhere to be seen. Extremely unfair.

Anyway, back to U2 at Glasto- they nailed it. No two ways about it. Excellent.
    As regards the tax thing- you are 100% right pointing that out. Other bands are most certainly at it and some for a long time- and they do have the same causes to heart that Bono does. Begrudgers should take that into account.

As regards the Glasto gig? U2 aced it. Brilliant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

No
    Class, strong Achtung Baby start straight through to Out of Control.
    Should have dropped Boots & Moment of Surrender for Hold Me Thrill Me/New Years Day/Ultra Violet/Love is Blindness etc.
    If anything, it showed the strength of their back catalogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭stanley1

great show, blew coldplay into oblivion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    Class, strong Achtung Baby start straight through to Out of Control.
    Should have dropped Boots & Moment of Surrender for Hold Me Thrill Me/New Years Day/Ultra Violet/Love is Blindness etc.
    If anything, it showed the strength of their back catalogue.
    Playing Boots shows the strength of your back catalogue??
    stanley1 wrote: »
    great show, blew coldplay into oblivion.
    I thought Coldplay were pretty good and i'm not a fan of theirs.
    Springsteen's performance from two years ago would blow both into oblivion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

bono-12372.jpg

pope_bono.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

I didn't think they nailed it at all tbh. They seemed cold towards the crowd, little to no interaction with the only notable moment when Bono went down and took the guys camera, being the ponce. Overall, very tame. I was much more impressed with Elbow. They seems to want to be there and got the crowd really involved. And Chris Martin of Coldplay made Bono look really bad, bouncing around the stage for their hour and a half.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

so some say they did it because bono stfu and got on with the music.

others say they didn't because he didn't prance around like an idiot.

when your bono, you can't win.

the set was pretty much perfect for glasto without all the clap trap.

top marks.

It's ok to like something that's Irish.

Honestly.

No really...

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭martco

No
    I'm giving it 90%...excellent job under the circumstances...at least looking at it on the telly, the rain was horizontal at times..not that you can compare anything between Coldplay and U2 but they had much better circumstances to work with to be fair!
    re. the set there's so so many things to think about regarding that crowd's demographics, how do you keep em all happy esp. as a lot (maybe most) of them surely not U2 fans particularly & defo not all 40 y/o like me :)
    so I think they did really well - I was totally thrilled they went with the oldies - what I hope Bono gets from Glastonbury is that the undeniable quality of the older stuff makes EVERYONE happy...maybe he already gets it...which when you think about it is almost unique thing to be able to do (like even me Ma was glued to the telly for Bad, my 10 year old who started guitar this year was trying to find the Fly on youtube yesterday to figure it out...I'll take that anytime over any Cowell-driven ****e, wouldn't you???) pity then they didn't go completely with that ideal however...Boots? oh nonono..
    pity bout the astronaut bit too but it gave me a chance to boil the kettle..but he did his best to stop the tripe but hey sometimes you take the bad to get the good.
    I'm dead chuffed for them and they make me proud to be Irish and I'm a happier man that they are out there doing their thing. I couldn't give a f*3k about the tax crap, I'm really struggling to understand what that's all about...have these people nothing better to do with their lives (please no response required) but they did add the traditional Glastonbury protest element to the show...if they really are interested in Irish life there's maybe a 100 other things to protest first tho
    ah...just wish I'd managed to nail a ticket this time
    bravo Paul, Dave, Larry, Adam!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Before I say anything, I am a big U2 fan, Ive seen them live many times and always thought it was excellent. I would usually be on here defending them.
    But I thought the show was lacking something. Its hard to put my finger on it. Was it the crowd reaction? I thought they seemed pretty laid back. Was it the lack of big production that usually comes with a U2 show? I dont think so. It just seemed like there was not as much energy in the show as I would expect or have seen from them in the past. Perhaps it just doesn't translate as well onto TV. Or maybe its just me. What a setlist though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

No
    As martco mentioned above you, kc66, it was raining cats and dogs. And I read that Bono said the stage was soaked and as slippery as an ice rink.

So that probably flattened everything down for a U2 fan such as yourself, who maybe expected the usual hyper performance.

Personally, I thought it made things better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

No
    Excellent performance, hard to fault it. Set list was pretty good (apart from Boots) and the fact they played Yellow was a nice touch. Overall, great show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭LizardKing82

Im amazed that no-one has mentioned Bonos blatant arse licking of the BBC during the show. He name checked them in Stay(faraway so close) and thanked them at the close of the set

I would have thought what with the furore surrounding the BBC's unashamed promotion of No Line On The Horizon and the ensuing backlash that ensued he would have steered clear of such an ill-advised plug

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

No
    Thought they were great and a great set list
    Bono did the right thing and kept quiet, maybe he's learning from Larry and Adam
    Top marks lads
    And to any haters, em why not just not listen to them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭fatalll

No
    Thought they were pretty Good...
    Think the God Damn Rain did not help !! :-(
    on the other hand nice to see its not just ireland that it rains in

I ****ing hate U2. . . So. . . either way its a NAY.

Advertisement