Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fish and chips exquisite cuisine?

Options
  • 26-06-2011 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭

I was in a place there in Nassau Street with two American friends and they were charging 18 euro for fish and chips and 14 euro for seafood chowder. you expect tourist prices in some places but this is going too far.

some say the number of tourists to Dublin is falling and the best way to attract them is to fleece them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I was in a place there in Nassau Street with two American friends and they were charging 18 euro for fish and chips and 14 euro for seafood chowder. you expect tourist prices in some places but this is going too far.

I agree with you and you can be guaranteed that the fish is frozen, already battered (just like what you'd buy in Lidl or Tesco), and not fresh and freshly battered either -the day of decent fish and chips is gone forever.:( I don't mind getting the frozen battered fish but don't rob me on it !

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭The Orb

Can you name and shame the establishment ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

The Orb wrote: »
    Can you name and shame the establishment ?

can't quite remember the name. I think the Blarney Inn. Its on the corner of Nassau Street and Kildare Street.
    Go to Oliver St John Gogarty for similar prices. you will pay a hefty price there for a stew,which is supposed to be peasant food.

vicwatson wrote: »
    I agree with you and you can be guaranteed that the fish is frozen, already battered (just like what you'd buy in Lidl or Tesco), and not fresh and freshly battered either -the day of decent fish and chips is gone forever.:( I don't mind getting the frozen battered fish but don't rob me on it !

its served on a fancy plate with chunky chips, but essentially cheap fish.

Leo Burdocks is still quite reasonable, okay, you can not sit down in the place but Beshoffs will give you a place to sit down and fish and chips for around a tenner. they should really set up shop for the tourist on the southside so tourists who want to try 'original Irish food' do not get overcharged too much. its embarrassing when the tourists are friends of yours.

check out the menu
    http://www.blarneyinn.ie/maincourse.php

I appear to be mistaken. Fish and chips is 17 Euro and not 18 as previously stated.
    check out the prices for a fry and stew.
    what does handcut chips means? is there some dude in the kitchen slowly chopping them into equal portions and how labour intensive is this?

The Blarney Inn, to Irish food what Carrolls is to Irish fashion.

• Advertisement

The Orb wrote: »
    The Blarney Inn, to Irish food what Carrolls is to Irish fashion.

maybe I am a leprechaun but Carrolls has decent stuff as well as kitsch. I buy Landsdowne products there and their imitation rugby jerseys are good quality. The most important thing about the place is however the price-its reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Shanannigan

go to Beshoff's next time.. there's a fine fish n chip meal to be had there

Fuinseog wrote: »
    maybe I am a leprechaun but Carrolls has decent stuff as well as kitsch. I buy Landsdowne products there and their imitation rugby jerseys are good quality. The most important thing about the place is however the price-its reasonable.

My point is if you're looking for something authentically Irish then Carrolls is not the place, that is beyond doubt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

The fleecing of tourists in Dublin is nothing short of disgraceful and ridiculously short-sighted. How all those pubs in Temple Bar are full every night is beyond me. €6.50 for a pint in Fitzsimon's, it's hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

fuscardi on capel street do a fantastic 1 n 1 as does the kingfisher. burdocks is very poor imo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Ah one n'one, I've never heard this outside Dublin
    Another one is ordering a bag a chips is a single.
    Ah bless ;)

Beshoff's is a fine spot, you'll be sorted for less then a tenner
    I agree they need a place around the Southside somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

its served on a fancy plate with chunky chips, but essentially cheap fish.

Leo Burdocks is still quite reasonable, okay, you can not sit down in the place but Beshoffs will give you a place to sit down and fish and chips for around a tenner. they should really set up shop for the tourist on the southside so tourists who want to try 'original Irish food' do not get overcharged too much. its embarrassing when the tourists are friends of yours.

check out the menu
    http://www.blarneyinn.ie/maincourse.php

I appear to be mistaken. Fish and chips is 17 Euro and not 18 as previously stated.
    check out the prices for a fry and stew.
    what does handcut chips means? is there some dude in the kitchen slowly chopping them into equal portions and how labour intensive is this?

Hand cut chips are exactly what they sound like - cut by hand in house as opposed to ordering in prepped / frozen chips. Places doing hand cut chips often leave the skins on as it makes them more authentic / rustic looking.

When I worked in the business any place serving 'Fish N' Chips' would have the batter prepared and dip the fish in same prior to dropping in the fryer. The fillets most likely come in frozen.

Chippers obviously serve a lot of fish and chips and tend to batter and part cook a number of fillets in advance.

€16.95 is well pricey for this though! :eek:

fuscardi on capel street do a fantastic 1 n 1 as does the kingfisher. burdocks is very poor imo

Burdocks is savage - well the one off Christchurch is anyhow! Only non-Italian chipper I would consider going to!

go to Beshoff's next time.. there's a fine fish n chip meal to be had there

Meh - wouldn't be gone on Beshoff's - can't bate a decent Eye-talian chipper!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,691 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Why you would bring people to places like this is beyond me.

Check out the early birds in this place for decent food.

www.wolfes.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Thats a rip off €18.I got smoked cod, cheese burger and two chips in local chipper last night for €13. I know the pub has higher overheads but thats just robbery

what is a one on one?

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Why you would bring people to places like this is beyond me.

Check out the early birds in this place for decent food.

www.wolfes.ie

we had limited time and were confined to the general area due to time constraints. the object was to get something fast. we were going to have something in the museum but the selection there is limited.

what is a one on one?

Fish and chips. It's an old Dublin thing.

what is a one on one?

Dublinese for fish and chips.
    we had limited time and were confined to the general area due to time constraints.

Sorry, no excuse, you should be ashamed of yourself falling in to a tourist trap in your own capital. Worse still, you dragged tourists from the US with you. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

neris wrote: »
    Thats a rip off €18.I got smoked cod, cheese burger and two chips in local chipper last night for €13. I know the pub has higher overheads but thats just robbery

you hungry fooker :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

The fleecing of tourists in Dublin is nothing short of disgraceful and ridiculously short-sighted. How all those pubs in Temple Bar are full every night is beyond me. €6.50 for a pint in Fitzsimon's, it's hilarious.

You are pretty much contradicting yourself in that post.

These places charge these prices, because they can. They are full every night, as you pointed out, and their prices certainly aren't driving away their target market.

They are presumably making a fortune if they are packed every night and charging these prices, fair play to them.

I don't frequent these establishments myself, so it's not my place to complain really, just to admire them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

Des wrote: »

These places charge these prices, because they can. They are full every night, as you pointed out, and their prices certainly aren't driving away their target market.

They are presumably making a fortune if they are packed every night and charging these prices, fair play to them.

I don't frequent these establishments myself, so it's not my place to complain really, just to admire them.

Ireland is surely gaining a reputation for being a rip-off. It's the top thing that tourists complain about it when they're leaving. I read about it in the Irish Times. Those places are making a fortune now but I'd be surprised if prospective tourists don't eventually cotton on and start avoiding Temple Bar or Dublin/Ireland in general. In my opinion, all businesses which profit from the tourist market should do their best to make their money AND ensure that the tourist leaves Ireland with a positive impression and returns back again and again.

(On a less serious note, I'm quite angry about it because I love to meet foreign ladies but hate being fleeced by the pubs of Temple Bar while doing so! ;) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

€6.50 a pint is really only an issue if you're drinking to get drunk and have 8 or 10 drinks. Most tourists will have 2 or 3 pints which means the difference between drinking there and a 'normal' city centre pub is about a fiver for the night.

Compared to some places on the continent and the US, I've never been totally bum-raped for a drink in Ireland, even in supposedly high-end bars and nightclubs. Try buying even something basic like a bottle of water near a tourist spot in Paris or Rome and you'll see what a real rip-off is.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭n900guy

Eh?

It's €14.95 for very nice Fish & Chips in the 5-star Shelbourne Hotel up the street.

It's around €18 in the Four Seasons in Ballsbridge.

Most cafes in the city will be under a tenner.

Is there any justification for the OP other than being very unfamiliar with Dublin? You basically took them to the equivalent of a greasy spoon on Leicester Square or Times Square. There a hundred reasons to complain about Dublin, but your OP isn't one of them IMO!

To be honest, it's a bit of a pattern with the poster. I saw rubbish, therefore the Northside is filthy, I got ripped off, therefore the city is a rip off.

His last thread was locked, he ignored anyone trying to speak sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i paid €14.95 for a fish and exactly 7 chips in the yacht in clontarf a while ago.

Des wrote: »

there are Americans who save for years to come to Ireland and all we do is piss on them and rip them off.
    they put up with it cos they are on holidays, but it hardly encourages them to come back.
    Nice to nice irish greed is still alive.

• Advertisement

John_Rambo wrote: »
    To be honest, it's a bit of a pattern with the poster. I saw rubbish, therefore the Northside is filthy, I got ripped off, therefore the city is a rip off.

His last thread was locked, he ignored anyone trying to speak sense.

you do not read my threads and that is your problem. I did not say all of the northside is dirty, i said Talbot street is dirty and I made that clear in several posts.
    again I do not say that all of Dublin is a rip off. you just have to read the posts.

Advertisement