Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fish and chips exquisite cuisine?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,691 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

John_Rambo wrote: »
    To be honest, it's a bit of a pattern with the poster. "I saw rubbish, therefore the Northside is filthy, I got ripped off, therefore the city is a rip off."
    Fuinseog wrote: »
    I do not say that all of Dublin is a rip off.
    all we do is piss on them and rip them off.
    Nice to nice irish greed is still alive.
    some say the number of tourists to Dublin is falling and the best way to attract them is to fleece them.

Point proven. Stop trolling your own thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Just had a nice portion of cod and chips for €3 in that corner chipper on Aungier St (opposite DBS).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Leo Burdocks is still quite reasonable, okay, you can not sit down in the place

You can in the one in Temple Bar beside what used to be Eamon Doran's.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

And the one at lower liffey st

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Point proven. Stop trolling your own thread.

you seem to have little to contribute so do not feel obliged to write any nonsense here.

• Advertisement

Nolanger wrote: »
    Just had a nice portion of cod and chips for €3 in that corner chipper on Aungier St (opposite DBS).

which makes it all the more stranger that places that fleece tourists are still in business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Davy wrote: »
    And the one at lower liffey st

and rathmines

you seem to have little to contribute so do not feel obliged to write any nonsense here.

Come on Fuinseog, I contributed, I gave you a website of a really really, reasonably priced good Irish restaurant, Shanannigan, The Orb, admiralofthefleet, MCMLXXV, Nolanger and Davy have contributed with alternative places for fish and chips, but instead of thanking me or anyone for the info you harp on about Irish greed and ripping people off as if every restaurant is doing it.

They are not. In fact, you have Irish people on here selflessly giving you pearls. The city is a friendly, reasonable place if you want it to be, just like this forum.

n900guy came up with the point that your complaint is a silly one. You walked in to an overpriced tourist trap and handed over your money. That can happen to the gullible in any city in the world. Again, just cause you got fleeced in this place, it doesn't mean that they are all like that.

Try Wolfes, it's really good, that's an honest bit of advice from someone that knows the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Come on Fuinseog, I contributed, I gave you a website of a really really, reasonably priced good Irish restaurant, Shanannigan, The Orb, admiralofthefleet, MCMLXXV, Nolanger and Davy have contributed with alternative places for fish and chips, but instead of thanking me or anyone for the info you harp on about Irish greed and ripping people off as if every restaurant is doing it.

They are not. In fact, you have Irish people on here selflessly giving you pearls. The city is a friendly, reasonable place if you want it to be, just like this forum.

n900guy came up with the point that your complaint is a silly one. You walked in to an overpriced tourist trap and handed over your money. That can happen to the gullible in any city in the world. Again, just cause you got fleeced in this place, it doesn't mean that they are all like that.

Try Wolfes, it's really good, that's an honest bit of advice from someone that knows the city.

The OP is best ignored - I've lost count of the number of chips on his shoulders.

Thanks for the tip re Wolfes - looks like a great menu. I have a few Canadians to entertain next week so that's dinner sorted for one night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Shanannigan

The OP is best ignored - I've lost count of the number of chips on his shoulders.

aye, he could nearly open his own chipper and fleece the tourists (yeah.. i went there!!)

• Advertisement

Thanks for the tip re Wolfes - looks like a great menu. I have a few Canadians to entertain next week so that's dinner sorted for one night.

I like the pun, but nobody is telling you to respond to my thread so do not feel obliged.

A lot of people find certain places in Dublin are overcharging, note I said certain and not all. I for one believe this is doing more harm than good.

The Americans are a soft target in this affair. Like us when they go on holiday they adopt the attitude that they are not here for a long time they are here for a good time. They will pay the OTT prices, but it hardly induces them to return.

note I said certain and not all

Eventually. As pointed out to you, this is a fact of life. Every city has tourist traps, the only thing you can do about these places is to do a tiny bit of research, read the menu outside the place and go somewhere more suitable. Your location is perfect for lunch around that area, loads of good reasonable restaurants.
    The Americans are a soft target in this affair

They are not. Try waiting in a restaurant. The Americans that visit Ireland now are generally well educated, clever people. They will pay and tip, no doubt about that, but they expect service and quality.

The American's you were with were probably embarrassed to say anything because they were there with a "local".
    The OP is best ignored

I know, but he so needs an education, although, giving that he won't acknowledge any of the helpful tips makes me agree with about his chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I like the pun, but nobody is telling you to respond to my thread so do not feel obliged.

A lot of people find certain places in Dublin are overcharging, note I said certain and not all. I for one believe this is doing more harm than good.

The Americans are a soft target in this affair. Like us when they go on holiday they adopt the attitude that they are not here for a long time they are here for a good time. They will pay the OTT prices, but it hardly induces them to return.

You don't really get the concept of boards, do you?

As for Americans, those travelling in recent years are a very discerning bunch in the main and certainly wouldn't have wandered into a tourist trap if you hadn't brought them there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

another place ive got a good fish and chips was on the mv cill airne

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

another place ive got a good fish and chips was on the mv cill airne

Quite fitting given your username! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Must be the cheapest one and one in Ireland ?? Good deal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

vicwatson wrote: »
    Must be the cheapest one and one in Ireland ?? Good deal.

Borza in Dalkey were doing €3 "fish strips and chips". A good portion of battered fresh mackerel and well enough chips. Savage deal and gorgeous to boot,

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Borza in Dalkey were doing €3 "fish strips and chips". A good portion of battered fresh mackerel and well enough chips. Savage deal and gorgeous to boot,

Ok, good deal, so it's one of the cheapest one and ones in the country :D

Never had battered Mackerel - nice one, a bit boney for battering perhaps ??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

vicwatson wrote: »
    Ok, good deal, so it's one of the cheapest one and ones in the country :D

Never had battered Mackerel - nice one, a bit boney for battering perhaps ??

Mackerel's easily boned or filleted or whatever the term is. Caught a few myself last summer off the coast out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭InTouch

I was in a place there in Nassau Street with two American friends and they were charging 18 euro for fish and chips and 14 euro for seafood chowder. you expect tourist prices in some places but this is going too far.

some say the number of tourists to Dublin is falling and the best way to attract them is to fleece them.

Hey. I was in there a few times with tourist friends and the food is actually really nice. The prices are steep though, I'll give you that..

• Advertisement

InTouch wrote: »
    Hey. I was in there a few times with tourist friends and the food is actually really nice. The prices are steep though, I'll give you that..

the food is nice, but the prices drive people away.
    two years ago the prices there were okay, then they jacked them up. they do have live music during the day, but this does not justify the prices.

BTW a lot of chippers around the country are selling a cheaper fish and claiming it is cod.

Advertisement