Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proper spelling for Drumfea/Drumphea

Options
  • 26-06-2011 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭

I've been doing some work on tracing my family history and on my father's side, we are connected with Myshall, Garryhill, and Drumfea.

I have come across the different spellings, Drumfea and Drumphea.

Can anyone tell me which is correct or are both in use ?

If both are in use, which is the more common one to use ?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Drumphea is the one I see most in use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

its drumphea

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Laura_lolly87

Drumphea is correct, I only seen the other spelling recently. Drumfea is definately not used by 'natives' :)

I'm a native, well used to be, its as i said above :) for defo

And you couldn't get far enough away from us lol

• Advertisement

I'd have gone further if i could have. sad reflection of a locality that is too stuck in the past

Ah it is what it is and you make the best of it. I liked it a lot better when i was younger

ah yeah me too in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭redtelephone

Just for the record, all of the maps, including the older ones from the 1830s use Drumfea, so anybody doing family research would need to use both names to be sure of getting maximum results.

if you actually contact anyone to do with the myshall parish magazine then you'll be thrown into a wealth of information about family trees, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Thanks for the replies Laura, Stick, and Red.

Redtelephone is correct, I saw the Drumfea spelling on the 1901 census.

Stick-Dan, could you PM me a name that I could contact about my family history ?

Thanks again, guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

Yes Drumphea is what appears on road signs in the area, but old maps do call the area 'Drumfea'.

http://www.myshalldrumphea.com/placenames-and-maps.htm

villagemap-old-large.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I suppose grmmatically, drumfea would be a more accurate spelling. In the English language "ph" is used mainly for words which have Latin/Greek origins. Since the name is of neither origin, it seems appropriate to spell it with an "f". Of course how it should be spelt and how it is commonly spelt can be two different things.

Advertisement