Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Allowance Question

Options
  • 26-06-2011 11:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

I have a question about rent allowance.

I am applying for rent allowance, and i was told i need to pay the deposit and the first months.
    I i pay the firsts moths rent, rent allowance will also pay the firsts months rent (the next month) that would mean the landlord will be getting an extra months rent right?
    So after the first months rent allowance is payed will i get the months rent that i payed myself back? cause if i dont the landlord will be getting an extra months rent.

Sorry if this post is a little confusing.

Could anyone give me an answer please :)
    thank you

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Rent allowance is paid in arrears and is usually paid out to the tenant in most cases these days and not the landlord. You shouldn't plan on getting the rent allowance paid on time for the 2nd month's rent either as it could be delayed. make sure you can cover the rent for 2 months yourself and when the RA is paid out you will have some cash to spare for bills, food w/e

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Sarah Bear

you get ur deposit back when u move out. its incase u move out and wreck the place :P

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bmarley

There are new rules/conditions with rent allowance, not sure but thought you had to be paying the rest for 6 months before you can claim allowance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 shyGirl91

yeah it says you need to be renting for 6 months OR be assessed for in need of social housing, which i am :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Landlords want to be paid one month in advance. But they set up Rent allowance to pay one one in arrears. Does it make sense no. But that's what they did. Basically your paying the month in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

As above, rent allowance pays in arrears although landlords require a deposit. In some circumstances I have heard of cwos giving the months deposit but it is rare and few between.

Rent allowance also pays on a certain date, iirc the last Monday of the month, so if your rent is due on the 22nd you will not get the cheque until a few days later. If your landlord is ok enough they will accept the rent to be paid a few days later but make sure you have this covered as otherwise you will need a few extra bob in the bank to cover the few days shortfall.

It can be complicated so here is a simple explanation.
    On May first Joe moves into the new house.
    He pays 900 in depsit and 900 in advance for month of may.
    On May 28th he receives his cheque of 800 to go towards his rent for the month of May, he uses this to pay the month of June along with the 100 he puts towards it.
    In December he moves out, he receives his 900 deposit back and uses that towards the deposit on his new house.
    Then he receives a cheque from the rent allowance for the month of December which he has already paid for.
    He uses this as the month in advance on the new place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

As above, rent allowance pays in arrears although landlords require a deposit. ....

Deposit (1 months rent) + 1 months in advance = 2 months upfront

Rent allowance = 1 month in arrears = shortfall 2 months you make up yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

BostonB wrote: »
    Deposit (1 months rent) + 1 months in advance = 2 months upfront

Rent allowance = 1 month in arrears = shortfall 2 months you make up yourself.

Exactly, might not have been clear enough as that but I was stating as aboce since your post above was saying that exactly.

I have had to explain to numerous people why the landlord will not just take the payment the way the rent allowance pay it, at the end of the day though, where the money comes from is not the landlords issue, his only issue is that he gets paid.

Advertisement