Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why buy a psp?

• 26-06-2011 12:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭

Little help

I'm thinking about buying a psp.I've seen them pretty cheap on adverts.Now I already own a ps3 and I know feck all about what a psp can do apart from being a hand held system.
    Question are..
    1.Can I play online like a ps3?
    2.Are the graphics as good as ps3?
    3.If I buy 2 of the same games for ps3 and psp can I use the same dlc for both consoles?
    4.How much memory is available for storage?
    5.What else can I do with a psp?

Cheers in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

groomek wrote: »
    Little help

I'm thinking about buying a psp.I've seen them pretty cheap on adverts.Now I already own a ps3 and I know feck all about what a psp can do apart from being a hand held system.
    Question are..
    3.If I buy 2 of the same games for ps3 and psp can I use the same dlc for both consoles?

Cheers in advance

Yes, no, no, depends (it's all based on memory cards, but the Go has unbuilt memory too), you can plays Ys Seven / Oath in Felghana both of which are awesome amongst many other fine games.

psp's are cheap at the moment because people (including me) have sold ours before the Vita comes out in November.
    Wait for November. It will cost €250 but its well worth it.

http://ie.playstation.com/psvita/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

OP before you rush out please do some more checking.

PSP has been out for a while now and there are some different incarnations.
    1st one came out with a UMD (proprietary disk system) to play games and movies.
    A slimmer one came out and then finally the PSP GO which has been discontinued. The GO model had no umd.

For all you could down load games - there are some really good ones out there.
    However in my opinion my love of gaming was never satisfied. I felt Sony missed the ball by only having one thumb toggle, and having reduced number of shoulder buttons - so was never a great system for FPS'ers.

There was/is also a huge modding community on the PSP if you are into that kind of thing.

Really I found it really powerful -
    games > middling - left disappointed
    browsing > quite good - just hard to type
    music > fine - just an mp3 player or with wifi and internet radio
    movies > if you have the right software then away you go.

However - and here it comes - Sony are just releasing its new replacement - was called the NGP - now called the Vita, appears to address many of the shortcomings - but the pricepoint of this and of the games plus range of games will prove it out. Hoping it is not another flash like the 3DS.

I'd say if you are not that interested in waiting for the Vita(hate that name) NGP then if you have a bargain with a load of games sure why not - just be prepared, mine is in a drawer somewhere now for 2 years - I know there were one or two great releases but...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

never liked the idea of the PSPGo. annoyed the blx out of me that you could ONLY download games on it. preferred the old PSPs with games you could buy physical.

now here is my question. I never did get around to buying a PSP (bought the original DS when it came out, might get the 3DS not sure, nother story). and obviously PSPVita is on its way later this year. will the Vita be able to play old PSP games, or will you only be able to play new games on it? that could be a bit of a sticking point.

hdowney wrote: »
    now here is my question. I never did get around to buying a PSP (bought the original DS when it came out, might get the 3DS not sure, nother story). and obviously PSPVita is on its way later this year. will the Vita be able to play old PSP games, or will you only be able to play new games on it? that could be a bit of a sticking point.

The PS Vita will feature ''PlayStation Vita card slot'' for where you can put in games which you can purchase in shops. these are memory card based games, sort of like the ds

The PS Vita will not be able to play UMD games from the old psp but it will be able to play the downloadable games that the old psp supported aswell as new ones.

hope that helps

• Advertisement

yup it did. so no umds, don't know how many umds i might have wanted to play. i think most of the ones i would have been massively interested in also came on other platforms such as ps2/3 or wii.

one more question, will the Vita play movies like the old PSP?

one more question, will the Vita play movies like the old PSP?

Your own downloaded movies- yes, as long as its in a supported format

Movies from the PS Store - yes

PS Vita Card Based Movies - I don't know. Maybe, but i doubt it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

So UMD is dead just like minidisc.

On the PSP matter. I bought one on launch with Wipeout in 2005 and sold it 3 months later.

I ordered myself a 3000 last week, even though Vita is out shortly. I reckon it will be delayed for us until early next year though. I want to fill in the MGS story arch with PO and Peace Walker. Maybe try my hand at some JRPGs too, could never get into them in the past and the PSP is the best JRPG platform out there.

This all happened after playing a 3DS my friend got and he is trying to convince me to get one, but I have out grown Nintendo and they lost me a long time ago.

stupidity alert :o what is MSG? and what does the J in JRPG stand for? i know the RPG is role playing game!

stupidity alert :o what is MSG? and what does the J in JRPG stand for? i know the RPG is role playing game!

MGS= Metal Gear Solid. Wiki can fill you in. Put aside an hour or two for the back story.

JRPG= The craziness that is the Japanese RPGs. They make the Final Fantasy games look standard.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

JRPG= The craziness that is the Japanese RPGs. They make the Final Fantasy games look standard.

Final Fantasy is a JRPG :P

Along with the DS, the PSP is the current champion of obscure Japanese brilliance. On PSP you have the likes of Persona 1, 2 and 3 Portable, Tactics Ogre, Jeanne D'Arc, Final Fantasy Tactics, Disgaea 1+2, Ys 1 / 2 / Oath in Felghana / Seven, Valkyria Chronicles 2 etc... I could go on, but there's an absolute treasure trove of deep RPGs there, alongside quirktastic titles like Loco Roco or Patapon.

Final Fantasy is a JRPG :P

Ever since 7 was released everyone, well mainstream gamers think of it as westernised. The release of 7 was the first time I ever heard of the FF games myself. I got it because of all the rave reviews and could not get into it for the life of me. Just gave up and never played a FF game since. Or any JRPG for that matter.

Going to change all that when I get my PSP next week and force myself into all those games, just 100s of hours of fresh gaming to be had.

MGS= Metal Gear Solid. Wiki can fill you in. Put aside an hour or two for the back story.

ah yes metal gear solid :) haven't tried any of the japanese rpgs obvs which ones would you recommend for beginners? assuming i get a psp and DONT wait for vita. can you get jrpgs on ps3 (other than FF obvs)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ever since 7 was released everyone, well mainstream gamers think of it as westernised. The release of 7 was the first time I ever heard of the FF games myself. I got it because of all the rave reviews and could not get into it for the life of me. Just gave up and never played a FF game since. Or any JRPG for that matter.

Going to change all that when I get my PSP next week and force myself into all those games, just 100s of hours of fresh gaming to be had.

Final Fantasy is as japanese as RPGs come and nobody in their right mind would consider them westernised. If you think final fantasy has more in common with stuff like Mass Effect, Dragon Age or Baldurs Gate then you're playing very different FF games to the ones I'm playing.

ah yes metal gear solid :) haven't tried any of the japanese rpgs obvs which ones would you recommend for beginners? assuming i get a psp and DONT wait for vita. can you get jrpgs on ps3 (other than FF obvs)

Get this:

Seventy hours will absolutely fly by.

Slim pickings on PS3 TBH. Not the console of choice for JRPGs - portable is the way to go these days. The best is probably Disgaea 3, but that's pretty hardcore so not recommended for beginners. You could try Valkyria Chronicles - it's more strategy RPG but it has an amazing battle system. Good introduction with semi real-time yet still turn/stat based battles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

groomek wrote: »
    Little help

Question are..

Cheers in advance
    1. Some games have online (e.g. Phantasy Star Portable 2, Infinity will be released eventually, since it's out in JP, but might take awhile). Majority use AdHoc (local) multiplayer. However, there's an application on PS3 that allows you to play online using your PS3's connection [must be Wired, as your wireless will be in use supporting the PSP] as a bridge.
    2. Some games have good graphics, e.g. God of War.
    4. Standard PSPs (100x, 200x, 300x) require a Memory Stick Pro Duo, PSPGo has internal memory.
    5. Music, Video, some comics (from the PSN) can be viewed on a PSP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I would say I've played less than 10 hours on my PSP. Even though I got it cheap, still a waste of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Hey OP, hope you don't mind me throwing in a question here too about the PSP.

Long story short, I'm going traveling in October and was thinking of buying a PSP. I'll be away when the Vita is released so i'm stuck between the GO, the slim or the Phat versions. All I really want is FF7 and FF9 which I'll download from the PSN store. Should I get the GO or standard psp then? I know the battery in the GO isn't replaceable and I'll be traveling on very long flights so should I stick to the standard and buy extra batteries or does something like a battery case exist for the GO?

Also, I came across custom psp's on google and think some of them look amazing (especially the ones with the led triggers) but can't seem to find them for sale anywhere. I found one on eBay but it's been modded too much:

http://cgi.ebay.ie/4GB-memory-card-Custom-PSP-Slim-Crystal-w-LED-Triggers-/250844579177?pt=Video_Games&hash=item3a67808569#ht_607wt_1141

I'd love a plain black psp with led triggers. Good or bad idea? Does anyone know either an online or offline store that sells custom psp's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭DHYNZY

Bit off topic.. but I think most JRPGs should not even be considered RPGs...

Back on topic.. I agree with everyone else, PSP will be outdated tech in no time at all. Plus there are very few games to get excited about on it. The last one for me was Final Fantasy Crisis Core, which was about 2/3 years ago at this stage! Wait for the next gen! See if they are any improvement.

I wish there were more games with the quality of Crisis Core on the PSP, I wouldn't have sold mine so soon.

Sony seem to have a habit of doing this, Playstation Move is another example.. I reckon we'll be waiting years for that to mature, and before then it will be superseded by some new innovative peripheral gaming experience.

DHYNZY wrote: »

Back on topic.. I agree with everyone else, PSP will be outdated tech in no time at all. Plus there are very few games to get excited about on it. The last one for me was Final Fantasy Crisis Core, which was about 2/3 years ago at this stage! Wait for the next gen! See if they are any improvement.

I wish there were more games with the quality of Crisis Core on the PSP, I wouldn't have sold mine so soon.

Sony seem to have a habit of doing this, Playstation Move is another example.. I reckon we'll be waiting years for that to mature, and before then it will be superseded by some new innovative peripheral gaming experience.

yea i haven't forked out for the move yet. i want like one game that is a purely move game, then i have a game that has a move section and another that would use the eyetoy. but at 60 odd squids i think it is a bit steep of a purchase as it is at the mo (for the starter pack, you still need to pay for other bits) when there isn't much fantastic stuff to be using it with. they need to come out with a decent library of move games stat. what was the point of bringing it out with big fanfare and then no decent games for playing with it :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭DHYNZY

what was the point of bringing it out with big fanfare and then no decent games for playing with it :confused:

thats my big issue with Sony, I've gone out on both occasions and bought the gear on launch, a PSP and the Move, and 2 months later they sit there gathering dust, waiting for Sony to actually get some decent developers working on getting out a product that lives up to its capability. No doubt the PSP and the Move are great pieces of tech, but Sony is in the habit of never seeing their products through to their fullest potential.

(excluding the playstation itself of course)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

If you think Crisis Core is the best game of the last 2/3 years on the PSP then I really don't think the console is for you anyways.

OP, buy a secondhand one, buy a large memory card, google custom firmware, and enjoy. It's a great little emulation machine and the cfw gives it a whole range of homebrew potential.

OK?

Technically all games where you control a character are role playing games. A JRPG is just a term to describe a series of games that have similar ideas and mechanics - stats, turn based battles (although not always the case), narrative styles, lots of numbers, big hair, big swords etc... They're a genre unto their own, with plenty of variety within for those willing to explore the admittedly threatening terrain. Dare I suggest I've had much more fun with very tightly designed JRPGs than many of the Western RPGs they crap out?

Apologies for dragging this off topic, but this kind of needless semantic nitpickery tends to drag out the argumentative side of me :P

Back on topic - as said, if you have the money a cheap PSP has plenty of life in it. Indeed, picking up a console near the end of its lifespan means a healthy catalogue to explore. Yes, the PSP may lack some of the familiar franchises many find great comfort in, but there are a tonne of gems as well as superb entries in established genres & franchises (Peace Walker >>> MGS4). All depends what you're looking for, but I know I've spent more time with my PSP than my DS recently, and the DS has some damn good games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Back on topic - as said, if you have the money a cheap PSP has plenty of life in it. Indeed, picking up a console near the end of its lifespan means a healthy catalogue to explore. Yes, the PSP may lack some of the familiar franchises many find great comfort in, but there are a tonne of gems as well as superb entries in established genres & franchises (Peace Walker >>> MGS4). All depends what you're looking for, but I know I've spent more time with my PSP than my DS recently, and the DS has some damn good games.

From looking around I do think now's the time to get a PSP. Somehow there's still PS2 games still floating around but the same kind of persistence doesn't seem to be happening with the PSP and some games are already either hard to come by or hard to come by at a reasonable price while there's great PS2, non-platinum games still around for 10-15 quid.

Advertisement