Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fat,ugly or slutty?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Saying sticks and stone is all well and good but,
    when nearly every time you play and don't hide that you are a gamer who is female you get abuse/hassle it wears thin, gets frustrating and if the same 'your not wanted here' message get targeted at you time and time again it is going to wear a person down.

To a guy who does this they are just mouthing of maybe once a week to a female gamer, but due to the number of guys online compares to girls, the average female gamer will be in the receiving end of this shíte several times a week, unless she makes sure she can't be found out.

Which is crap esp with team work neede games on consoles where you need to communicate and it also means you can't take part in any of the banter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I got dogs abuse from a guy from Glasgow for being an Irish Catholic Cnut. I added 2 friends to the game and we had a fun back and forth with him, by the end of it we were all just having fun and there was no ill will

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

I can't remember which game was implementing the system – could have been Halo Reach, knowing that Halo is seen as the worst offender for this – but it involved having a process where if you were muted across many different games by different people you could eventually be auto-muted for future games. I thought this was a very democratic and simple way to calm abuse. Probably took inspiration from things like the Youtube down-vote to obscurity system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Fnz wrote: »
    Can I ask, what age is he... and why do you reckon he does it?

22 and because he thinks its funny...not like I encourage it, I just tell him he abuses them online because he cant talk to them face to face, Im too used to women being online since my WoW days so I couldnt care less what gender Im playing against/with. If she's a b**ch I'll hurl some abuse, if not, then I cant be arsed. Same with lads.

But the internet is always going to be a place of absolute asshats, we just have to learn to deal with it. I understand your frustration and prob cant comment too much on the subject as Im male but in my opinion you just have to learn to take it in your stride...or at least roll in a gang, that **** always helps :)

You are your own person, F**k everyone else

I wish 95% of Gamers on Xbox Live were girls, it would make it far more interesting than most of the dickheads you hear online.
    Unfortunately you cannot even have a conversation with someone else on Live without some prick acting up.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Gandalph wrote: »
    22 and because he thinks its funny...not like I encourage it, I just tell him he abuses them online because he cant talk to them face to face, Im too used to women being online since my WoW days so I couldnt care less what gender Im playing against/with. If she's a b**ch I'll hurl some abuse, if not, then I cant be arsed. Same with lads.

But the internet is always going to be a place of absolute asshats, we just have to learn to deal with it. I understand your frustration and prob cant comment too much on the subject as Im male but in my opinion you just have to learn to take it in your stride...or at least roll in a gang, that **** always helps :)

Well, hearing that crap becomes tiresome, and some examples on the website are genuinely offensive, regardless of self esteem considerations. Not to cast aspersions on yourself but "F**k everyone else" probably echoes the sentiment of the worst offenders.

I reckon something along the lines of the system Grizzly mentioned could alleviate the problem.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

That's genuinely pathetic. Your house mate and people like him sicken me and I wish nothing but ill upon their ilk.

However, I must strongly disagree with this theory that the internet will always be full of asshats. This myth will only propagate as long as we allow it to. Sensible humans with more than 3 brain cells to rub together should speak out against it at every opportunity and no one should have to put up with it at all. Ever. We should never condone (through both action and inaction) any form of race/gender/age abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Shiminay wrote: »
    However, I must strongly disagree with this theory that the internet will always be full of asshats. This myth will only propagate as long as we allow it to. Sensible humans with more than 3 brain cells to rub together should speak out against it at every opportunity and no one should have to put up with it at all. Ever. We should never condone (through both action and inaction) any form of race/gender/age abuse.

Im not trying to start arguements here, Im a realist and I know you have better chance of ridding the world of poverty, sickness, violence than you have of ridding the internet of morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Loaded up COD with a new female orientated name and profile just over a few hours ago... sweet jesus! Put my mic on mute and the amount of abusive names I got called and messages I got from just an hours play is ridiculous.

No wonder a few of my female mates just leave their mic on mute and have neutral names in games. I get sick of the teens screaming/shouting abuse at me, but I've never heard some of what they were saying when I was 'a girl'.

Makes me sick

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Im not trying to start arguements here, Im a realist and I know you have better chance of ridding the world of poverty, sickness, violence than you have of ridding the internet of morons.

You really don't :) You just have to oppose it at every opportunity. Report asshats, tell them they're asshats and refuse to play with clans/people who are asshats. Saying "I can't do anything about it, so why bother" never fixed anything. Nothing worth doing is easy, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

It is a good ideal and an excellent ideal but,
    I can't see most lads getting into it with a mate over some randomer who happens to have tits on xboxl, esp if they only see it happening once a month. They won't. Which is our loss.

Advertisement