Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alarm/co ax cables from house to garage

Options
  • 26-06-2011 12:45pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

For anyone who is thinking of hooking up their alarm to their shed,garage or workshop,heres a few pics on how it was done for me.

I had the option of going above ground or below ground.I chose below ground.Builder did the hard part of the job (lifting floorboards,drilling holes in the house and the trenchwork).

1-Plan your route from the alarm panel through the house and out to garage,shed,workshop.Plan where you want the various cables to go in the shed,garage,workshop.

2-Dig trench ( 600mm deep) from house to garage.

3-Install ducting into trenches to carry alarm cables and co ax and cat5/cat 6 cables

4-Use a fish wire to pull in cables from house to garage,also attach a secondary fish wire too (yellow builders twine)

5-Install plastic or metal conduit in shed,garage,workshop to run the alarm cables.

6-Install sabb cage over external bell box to protect it from kids and or thieves.Use stainless anti theft/security screws to install cage.

I had 3 core 10 square SWA,mains water,5 x 6 core alarm cables,2 x co -ax and cat5e ran down to the garage in the trench.All services are installed in their own ductings too.

Hope the pics give any of you diy,ers out there an idea of what to do,if planning something like this in the future.

A fully qualified and registered alarm installer should be used to do the rest of the work,as in fitting the various contacts,keypads,pirs and bell boxes,hooking up the alarm and making it work.:)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Last pic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

If you (any diyers) are doing this yourself,then dont forget to put in a few junction boxes along your couduit run,this will make it easy to pull/fish the cables and also handy if you ever want to add in more cables in the future.

Allways pull 1 or 2 more 6 core alarm cables than you need,as you never know when you may need an extra cable (if an existing cable got damaged or for futureproofing).
    Make the spare cables long enough to go anywhere inside or outside your shed,garage,workshop too.

And keep your cables in the plastic/metal conduit as much as possible,therefore they are protected this way.

Regards.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Lads,

I made some adjustments, to some users posts here for the following reason

There was the potential for some over spill from another thread.

There have been a couple of threads closed for the above reason so I just stepped in before a potential issue popped up.

I assume that the thread was set up to inform users about installation methods, thank you for the pictures paddy, hopefully the tread will continue along the lines of the thread title and we wont have to close it.

Thanks all :)

Advertisement