Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Costs of Renting (Other than Rent!)

Options
  • 26-06-2011 1:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Weighing up all the costs of renting at the minute....

At present I'm living with a couple of other lads and all we pay per month is our rent, electric every two months, oil heating every three months and our Sky/Phone/Internet each month.

Im, considering moving in with my girlfriend which is going to be a much more expensive experience I fear! Not least since the bills will only be split between two.

What I am wondering is what are your monthly costs, just so I can get a good handle on my budget...

If we are looking at rent 750 for a one bedroom flat, somewhere in the north of the city with no oil heating would I be far off the mark suggesting the following...

Rent 750
    Electric 100? More if there is no oil heating?
    Sky/Phone/Internet 120?

Obviously you have your other normal costs, like groceries and the like but I'd imagine I'll manage to calculate them without trouble.

Any other costs there I've missed? Do you pay bin charges in certain places?

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭not even wrong

Bhoywunder wrote: »
    Electric 100? More if there is no oil heating?
    You should be spending up to €100 a month on electricity during the winter, about half that in the summer. Assuming fully electric heating.
    Sky/Phone/Internet 120?
    Halve that by getting the €60 TV/phone/broadband bundle from UPC. Or just do without a landline altogether and you can do even better.
    Any other costs there I've missed?
    TV license.
    Do you pay bin charges in certain places?
    Not usually if you're living in an apartment block, it comes out of the management fee paid by your landlord. Best to ask when viewing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

€100 for electricity per months sounds a bit high to me. I live on my own and I'm only in the apartment about 4 nights a week but I think my electricity for April/May was €36. That was having a PC and TV on all evening, cooking every evening, having a shower every day, etc, didn't exactly deprive myself. But I made sure everything was off that I wasn't using, turned off the switches at night, and it seems to make a big difference. I just leave the heating off unless it's freezing.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Spiritofthekop

danthefan wrote: »
    €100 for electricity per months sounds a bit high to me. I live on my own and I'm only in the apartment about 4 nights a week but I think my electricity for April/May was €36. That was having a PC and TV on all evening, cooking every evening, having a shower every day, etc, didn't exactly deprive myself. But I made sure everything was off that I wasn't using, turned off the switches at night, and it seems to make a big difference. I just leave the heating off unless it's freezing.

€100 for electricity is about right. Charges for gas & electricity are always going up.

In the winter Gas heating can be anywhere as much as €200 a month as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

I have a wonderfully neat bills regime:

> Electric: Max. €90 per month (My last bill for February and March was €153).
    > TV/Internet: €60 per month.

And that's it! The stroke of luck here is that my electric does my heating and water too, which I love because it's 1 bill rather than 2 (I like simplicity in my finances!) and also because it seems relatively cheap to me for all I get. Ed: 1 bed apartment with excellent insulation.

Having only 2 household bills a month (excluding my PayGo mobile which is my only phone) is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

using electric heating only I was on 200 a month sometimes in winter in a brand new aprtment.
    women have higher cleanliness/tidiness requirements. factor in another 100 euro for the first 3 months for random baskets basins shelves and sprays for all known diseases etc.

;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Have lived in rented accomodation for nearly 2 years and most bills were on average about €100 every 2 months. I turn off all switches when not using them and there is no need for the electric heaters as it has not been cold in the apartments I have rented (maybe good insulation?). The highest bill I had was during the "Big Freeze January 2010" and that was €154 for 2 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Bob_Latchford

Energy bills wont mean much unless you compare like for like using something like the BER energy rating, size of the place, how many are living there.

If its single glazed old flat in winter you will be paying through the nose. Got a 700 euro electricity bill last winter for 2 bed apartment and it was still freezing huddled in one room with the coats and duvets on :mad:

Advertisement