Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where and when could I see a good rendition of a Shakespearan play...

Options
  • 26-06-2011 2:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

...and how much would it cost me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Shhh

the globe theatre in london - it's a reconstruction of the original and is how shakespeare was originally performed - tickets from £15 - £35 and is worth a trip if you are really interested in shakespeare. http://www.shakespearesglobe.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 tekken021

That sounds fantastic, though I was hoping there would be something here in Ireland. Might be worth a trip

i don't think i've ever gone to a shakespeare play here.. except when the reduced shakespeare company toured years ago.. they were v. funny..

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭chasmcb

Edward Hall (director, son of famous director Peter Hall) is bringing his all-male Propeller Theatre Company to the Galway Arts Festival in July where they will perform Richard III and Comedy of Errors. Tickets are €25/€20. Well worth seeing if you get the chance.

chasmcb wrote: »
    Edward Hall (director, son of famous director Peter Hall) is bringing his all-male Propeller Theatre Company to the Galway Arts Festival in July where they will perform Richard III and Comedy of Errors. Tickets are €25/€20. Well worth seeing if you get the chance.
    Sounds great, I've always wanted to see comedy of errors... Thanks chasmcb and to tekken for the original post.

• Advertisement

Shhh wrote: »
    i don't think i've ever gone to a shakespeare play here.. except when the reduced shakespeare company toured years ago.. they were v. funny..

Rough Magic did a fantastic Taming of the Shrew a few years ago where they transposed the action to rural Ireland. Alan Stanford's Second Age Theatre Company tour a Shakespeare play every Spring. While their choice is always a play that is on the Leaving Cert syllabus they assemble a quality team -director, cast, designers etc - and their productions are generally high standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

tekken021 wrote: »
    ...and how much would it cost me?

What on earth do you mean by rendition? When a play is produced it is called a performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 tekken021

naasrd wrote: »
    What on earth do you mean by rendition? When a play is produced it is called a performance.

local.php?image=1611

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Some companies will be producing the Shakespeare plays which will be on the Junior Cert and Leaving Cert syllabus during the school year. Keep an eye out from September onwards. I don't know when or where or by whom though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 nomette

Hello,

Second Age Theatre Company and Classic Stage Ireland are the two Irish companies that produce Shakespeare on a regular basis. check theie websites.
    Second Age are doing Macbeth next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭toitle

AC Productions are presenting The Merry Wives Of Windsor at Players Theatre in Trinity from the 18th July to the 6th of August.

Then Crackedlight Productions are presenting Romeo&Juliet Unplugged in
    Ranelagh Gardens 9th-14th of August and Iveagh Gardens 17th-21st.

There is also an all female Hamlet on at the moment I think in the Pearse Centre on Pearse St.

:)

Shhh wrote: »
    Sounds great, I've always wanted to see comedy of errors... Thanks chasmcb and to tekken for the original post.

Was at the Comedy of Errors last night, it was fantastic! If you got a ticket you're in for a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 guthlaf

Howdy,

Cyclone Repertory Company is touring 4 Shakespearean Shows in Repertory around the country from the middle of October 2011 until April 2012.

They do edited versions of the plays which they call "Sessions", intended for Junior and Leaving Cert students. The shows are interactive and have so far got a great response from audiences.

The shows are: The Hamlet Session, The Macbeth Session, The Merchant Session and The Romeo & Juliet Session.

To check dates and venues over the country, please visit:

www.cyclonerepertory.com

I hope that is helpful,

Best wishes,

Marcus

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Fiyero

If you like Shakespeare you should go to the Globe in London!

Tickets are £15 to £35 seating, £5 standing.

Demand is always huge and performances usually sell out weeks in advance.

The Globe is open air, there's a lovely atmosphere and it's worth the trip.

ce169649_429long.jpg

Advertisement