Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to break my 1 year lease

Options
  • 26-06-2011 3:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

I am 6 months into a 1 year lease and I am hoping to break it, what are my options.I know I cant just give a months notice and leave but I am sure they have to allow me to try and get a new tenant and if they refuse I will be entitled to break it, with regards getting a new tenant can the agency help with this? does this cost much

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Yep, if you find a new tenant you can walk away with your deposit too (assuming no damage). Agencies can help find tenants, but they tend to be expensive; you are better off advertising yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Fresh2000

ofcourse you can give one month notice and leave, there is no law that forces you to stay in one place for specific amount of time. Too many things change in life, you might get nee job on other side of Ireland or have to move closer to your parents to help them or anything.

I have just checked my lease and it says there that you and owner as well can give one month notice and you can leave, it does not say you have to find other tenants or anything. If there was no damage to the house you will get your deposit if not you can go to small claim court and will get it back anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

You have a very unusual lease, Fresh...

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Fresh2000

silja wrote: »
    You have a very unusual lease, Fresh...

I don't think so, my lease is in conjunction with the a some government paper about renting which name I cannot remember and can't check it right now as I am at work

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

Eh? What's the point of a fixed-term lease if you can issue one-month's notice at any time then?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭susiebubbles

Check your lease and talk to your LL. If you leave before the year they don't have to give you your deposit back however if you find someone and the LL agrees you may get it back. All depends on the LL

• Registered Users Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Fresh2000 wrote: »
    I don't think so, my lease is in conjunction with the a some government paper about renting which name I cannot remember and can't check it right now as I am at work

You might be thinking of a part 4 tenancy? (details of which are on www.threshold.ie).

I guess your landlord wants the ability to remove you at a months notice (otherwise, he has no reason to add that clause).

A fixed lease is a fixed lease, either you can assign someone else to fulfill it for you, or you are liable for the full rent over the course of the lease. You can of course negotiate with the landlord.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

I told the letting agency today that I wanted to move out, the girl I was dealing with said what usually happens in theses cases is that you would lose your deposit, she told me to tell my landlord to see what happens.I called my LL this evening and told him I need to move out due to financial reasons,he asked me about the possibility of getting someone to move in with me and I think he hinted at reducing the rent also.I really dont want to stay but I feel guilty about the whole thing

Advertisement