Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Desire Z Broken Ribbon Cable Meteor Warranty

Options
  • 26-06-2011 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi everyone,

I have a HTC Desire Z for six months under Meteor contract [no insurance of course] and last night the screen went black. It powers on, makes the start up noises and the keyboard lights on but it does not seem to power up the LCD screen or buttons.

It appears that the ribbon cable between the bottom (keyboard) and upper unit (LCD) has become torn/ detached. So being suspicious of Meteor I went to carphone warehouse to see what they thought. They said that if it is a "manufacturing fault" then meteor would cover it, and that the engineers would determine this. If they did not see it as a manufacturing fault than they would give me a quote to fix it [probably 100euro].

Now just want to know if anyone knows my rights here, under warranty for a year so they should fix it right?

Also anyone else have this problem? Solutions?

Any help much appreciated, just don't want to get shafted.

The phone powers on (It virbrates and although the screen is still totally black

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Ste_D

Hey , I have the exact same problem. I've had the phone about 11 months. Did meteor fix it for you? I'll have to call down to them at lunch time!

Thanks,
    Steve

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Cleberp

No they asked me if I had insurance. And then said, with their eyes as they can't officially say,

"ha ha ha you fool you I break my ass everyday trying to upsell insurance so I can win a trip to Mullingar and its people like you who shrug and say sure I dont need insurance. Now you my friend are up the creek"

Anyway, had a torrid time getting it fixed every phone repair shop in Dublin wont fix it because they wont bother buying in the parts because there weren't many desire z's sold and they wont get a mark up on it. Best bet get part on ebay and bring to the phone repair shop on George st, dublin. He will fix it for 30quid ish but you have to get the parts.

Cable is 25euros ish and you might have to replace screen if it damaged the connections on that. Screen 40euros to 60euros.

So if you are lucky 55euros to 100euros to fix.

Hope it works out. Meteor can suck it

• Registered Users Posts: 28,223 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Both your phones are under warranty take it to somewhere like fonemenders they fix meteor. Do not attempt to fix it your self, don't even remove a screw or your'll loose your warranty.
    You have 2yrs warranty with a new HTC. The ribbon would be covered under that, it's a common fault with slider and flip phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭kirving

Both your phones are under warranty take it to somewhere like fonemenders they fix meteor. Do not attempt to fix it your self, don't even remove a screw or your'll loose your warranty.
    You have 2yrs warranty with a new HTC. The ribbon would be covered under that, it's a common fault with slider and flip phones.

Happenned to me with an N85 a few years ago. It was one of the first phones with an OLED display and while MPRC had no problem fixing it under warranty, I was given a crappy LCD instead with little way to prove it. In the end I just had to accept it because they were an official Nokia Care Point and they said the phone was ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

As above broken ribbons are a common problem on flip and slide phones. Hence why theres so few of them around.

Even if the ribbon is broken they still can send the phone regardless if its your fault or not. As said before technicians will be able to determine if its the phone or the user.

If in case it was you by an accident they will give the shop a quote and you have the choice to accept it or not.

• Advertisement
Advertisement