Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Markup on chocolate/sweets?

• 26-06-2011 4:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am just wondering if any one has info, or a website that has info, on the markup on things like chocolate bars, sweets, softdrinks etc etc

I am considering opening a small tuck shop but can't find this information. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough! ;)

All help is appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

Go on the musgraves website, have a look at some of their promotional flyers you can get the wholesale cost there and then work it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭niceview

Cheers, MrMatisse.

Are Musgraves the only show in town regrading this kind of thing? Are there any cheaper alternatives?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 johnsmith13

There are plenty of cash & carrys! Normal markups on sweets/bars is around 30% but you also need to judge on the competition where you open up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

Branded confectionery you'll get 20-30% depending on the price point you want. Non branded confectionery you should get 40%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭highlandseoghan

http://www.musgravecashandcarry.ie/ you will get some offers here or sign up to recieve offers from them. There are a lot of other cash and carrys but musgraves would be my first choice. Profit can be good but to make a decent profit you would need to buy a lot of bulk/stock of the same product. So for a small tuck shop if you could have somewhere to store extra stock you could do pretty well just get a decent area where there is a lot of passing trade and not much competition.

• Advertisement

Thanks highlandseoghan and all others. I do have a small warehouse where I can store stock. I know that the location will make or break the venture. I have a couple of spots picked out, but I need to do a bit more market research.

Appreciate the help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

niceview wrote: »
    Cheers, MrMatisse.

Are Musgraves the only show in town regrading this kind of thing? Are there any cheaper alternatives?

Depends what "town" you are in.

I swear by Jr Byrnes they deliver outside of dublin, but not sure where you are or their delivery radius.

It would be Limerick city that I would be setting up in. Also, does any one know what markup soft serve ice cream runs at?I've been told it's higher than confectionary...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

It would be Limerick city that I would be setting up in. Also, does any one know what markup soft serve ice cream runs at?I've been told it's higher than confectionary...

I think the mix you make it from costs only a few cents per serving, but the machine costs around five grand. Not sure about waste, cost of cones, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

Icecream cones from a machine etc run at 90% margin. Huge money to be made on them. Problem is the machine costs a small fortune and its completly seasonal.

Depending on how big the stores going to be you might want to check out DCS Central . They have an export arm. There is no where in the UK that is cheaper than them and they are trying to grow their international export business right now.

If you can handle roughly €5000 orders in one hit these guys are definitely worth a look

• Advertisement

Thanks for that Inquisitor. I'm not sure I would be looking at taking that much stock in one go, but you never know, I might just turn in to the Irish Starbucks!:D

I know ice cream is very seasonal, but everyone loves an icecream, right?! I'm presuming hard serve icecream markup is lower. Would anyone have an idea what that runs at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Retailer

as a discount store owner, I find both Musgraves and JR Byrnes expensive. A lot of times even their deals are expensive. For example they have a current deal on certain bars where you buy 4 boxes and get 5 free. This works out at 49c per bar including VAT, whereas I sell bars for 50c. I have an approx 30% margin at that price.

Now if you plan on selling choc/sweets at the 'normal' price of 80c+ per bar, then musgraves would probably be fine for you.

send me a pm if you want info on one of my suppliers

Cheers Retailer, I've sent you a pm.

Advertisement