Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strawberry's being destroyed

Options
  • 26-06-2011 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭

This is my first year planting strawberry's and I am having a bumper crop, only problem is about 90% of them are going in the bin. There seemd to be a small black beetle with a black and orange head having "party time" on my crop. Originally taught it was slugs or something but I have raised beds with weedguard, stones and egg shells down. Seen the little beetles this morning. Only one that comes close is one called Lebia chlorocephala. Anybody have any probs like these, is it likely to be the beetles or are the slugs getting in. Am a hovice so any advice would be very welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

gary29428 wrote: »
    This is my first year planting strawberry's and I am having a bumper crop, only problem is about 90% of them are going in the bin. There seemd to be a small black beetle with a black and orange head having "party time" on my crop. Originally taught it was slugs or something but I have raised beds with weedguard, stones and egg shells down. Seen the little beetles this morning. Only one that comes close is one called Lebia chlorocephala. Anybody have any probs like these, is it likely to be the beetles or are the slugs getting in. Am a hovice so any advice would be very welcome.

Might be better posting pics of the beetle and the damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Mr.Triffid

hmmm, could be vine weevil.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vine_weevil

Advertisement