Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Self Defence / no defence

• 26-06-2011 7:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

If sombody breaks into a house and the resident stabs that person in self defence, would he or she be prosecuted.
    What if the intruder pours petrol on the residents couch, how far can the resident go to protect their property and self.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

If the Garda won't help you call his sergeant. If he won't help call his Inspector. And so on. There is very little that can be done against someone who hasn't actually done anything though. You could make a statement about his threat but it would be one word against the other. If the man has lived there with you during the last year you may be able to get a safety order or protection order against him.

I very much doubt the Garda would look the other way while his mate burned your house down though. In that situation you should really just get out of there. There could possibly be a case for self defense if you stabbed him but as you have clearly planned it already it's unlikely to stick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

1995sarah so that makes you 16.....to young to claim a house....i sense a troll

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭GSI

1995sarah so that makes you 16.....to young to claim a house....i sense a troll

first post aswell. lulz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

and post after post after post lulz

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

Well it would depend if the force used to defend yourself was deemed reasonable or not, ideally though you don't want it to come to that.
    Has this guy actually tried to do anything before? I would say it's an empty threat.
    But if you stabbed him in self defense and he died you would most likely be prosecuted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭blueythebear

1995sarah wrote: »
    Thanks, nise to know we live in a country where the justice system sucks

Report every threat, phonecall or incident to the Gardaí so that there is a record of it. He could be pursued for a harassment charge under the Offences Against the Person Act on the basis of what you describe. If this is affecting you personally, ie that you're a nervous wreck, perhaps see your GP on the matter. Have all of this as a matter of record.

If anything were to happen, the Gardaí will take the matter more seriously. If you feel that it;s not being taken seriously on account of this man's friendship with the local Garda, then you should do as requested and write to the Sergeant and keep going up the ladder until somebody takes you seriously.

there are more gardai in the country than your one local guard.
    no guard would stand by and watch your house burn down.

contact your local station, or the one in the nearest big town. tell them you want it on the record what is happening, that you are scared for your safety and that of your child. ring 999 if this guy hangs around your house.

system works fine when its used properly. i would not recommend you just wait and do nothing and then stab him!!

for a start im sure the gardai would check your computer records, and heres you weeks earlier looking to see if you can get away with stabbing/killing someone.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

Thanks, nise to know we live in a country where the justice system sucks

have you been under a rock for most of your life? or ever see a newspaper or report? yes it does suck. but stabbing someone is taking the law into your own hands which is illegal

but how in gods name will he get into your house, unless you let him in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 1995sarah

Wondering about human rights in Ireland. If a man breaks into a woman's house and attacks her, she takes a kitchen knife and stabs him in defence, would she be prosecuted. Now I know the self defence laws in Ireland are pretty bad but how in earth could a woman use reasonable force against a man twice her size without using a weapon. No dumbeg replies please.

She might not be prosecuted. If she is she has the option of claiming self defence at her trial before a jury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭source

Don't you already have a thread open in this forum asking the same question?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72998312#post72998312

Seanbeag1 wrote: »
    If the Garda won't help you call his sergeant. If he won't help call his Inspector. And so on. There is very little that can be done against someone who hasn't actually done anything though. You could make a statement about his threat but it would be one word against the other. If the man has lived there with you during the last year you may be able to get a safety order or protection order against him.

I very much doubt the Garda would look the other way while his mate burned your house down though. In that situation you should really just get out of there. There could possibly be a case for self defense if you stabbed him but as you have clearly planned it already it's unlikely to stick.
    You missed the point entirly. Everybody thinks about these scenarios in their lives and think what would U do in a situation like that.

foinse wrote: »

Why do you want to know, just wording it differently, no dumbeg replies please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

havn't lived under the same rock as you then, criminals, robbers can break into houses pretty good now. When have you read the newspaper last duh.
    ah sure move out, become an earth mother, no worries about someone breaking into your house then.

house alarm? but seriously? stabbing someone?
    someone who threatens you usually is all talk.

dont thin we are getting full story here, why is he targeting you? the poor victim?

booboo88 wrote: »
    ah sure move out, become an earth mother, no worries about someone breaking into your house then.

house alarm? but seriously? stabbing someone?
    someone who threatens you usually is all talk.

dont thin we are getting full story here, why is he targeting you? the poor victim?
    Are you sure your name isn't bullyboo, but seriously, what level of education do you have if any.

Two claps for noticing. Woe you are a smart one.

You missed the point entirly. Everybody thinks about these scenarios in their lives and think what would U do in a situation like that.

Nobody can say what they would do in the situation. Would you really be able to stick a knife into someone and kill them? It's not as easy to hurt people in real life as it is in your imagination.

Why have you opened three threads on this subject?

Two claps for noticing. Woe you are a smart one.

Sarah I think you should read the charter. I've reported this duplicate thread to the mods.

Also with regard to your above quoted comment, personal abuse is not accepted on this forum. We have a little saying around these parts, "Attack the post, not the poster".

Nobody can say what they would do in the situation. Would you really be able to stick a knife into someone and kill them? It's not as easy to hurt people in real life as it is in your imagination.

Why have you opened three threads on this subject?

I seems to be taking 3 treads to get educated reasonable answers Seanbeager

I seems to be taking 3 treads to get educated reasonable answers Seanbeager

Just because you don't like an answer it doesn't mean it is uneducated.

I think we've had a little insight into why this guy is so upset though.

• Advertisement

Seanbeger, Get a life, you have 4204 posts in this boards.ie yoik. I suggest you take up a hobby that does't offend people.

Just because you don't like an answer it doesn't mean it is uneducated.

I think we've had a little insight into why this guy is so upset though.
    you must be physic

If you click edit on your post you can add to your insults without creating a new post. A person doesn't need to be psychic to see the obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Ihaveanopinion

seanbeag - maybe 1995sarah thought you were more physic than psychic?

seanbeag - maybe 1995sarah thought you were more physic than psychic?

Well from what I've seen of seanbeag on here, he does obey the laws of physic(s).

Anyway Seanbeag, Have to go now, twas nise arguing with you, but unfortunatily I havn't the time to spend all day and night on the computer like you do. Have you tried getting out a little in life man, 4000 posts is a bit scary, you know what I mean. Good luck to yeah

Sarah I think you should read the charter. I've reported this duplicate thread to the mods.

Also with regard to your above quoted comment, personal abuse is not accepted on this forum. We have a little saying around these parts, "Attack the post, not the poster".

Well if personal abuse is not accepted then you should be telling this to some others on this site. I only defend.
    Sorry i took you the wrong way.

Well from what I've seen of seanbeag on here, he does obey the laws of physic(s).

I try my best.
    Anyway Seanbeag, Have to go now, twas nise arguing with you, but unfortunatily I havn't the time to spend all day and night on the computer like you do. Have you tried getting out a little in life man, 4000 posts is a bit scary, you know what I mean. Good luck to yeah

Nice talking to you. Good luck with your problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

mo' posts, mo' problems.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement