Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

registering a 1982 bike

• 26-06-2011 7:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,455 ✭✭✭✭

I have an old honda 50. Will I actually have to take the bike in to get it registered. THe vrt is only €10 or so but if I have to take the bike in via trailer to the nct centre 50 miles away, it will be a major pain in the ass.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

mickdw wrote: »
    I have an old honda 50. Will I actually have to take the bike in to get it registered. THe vrt is only €10 or so but if I have to take the bike in via trailer to the nct centre 50 miles away, it will be a major pain in the ass.

Yes everything for VRT has to be brought to an NCTS centre. You had to bring everything the VRO before so no different. How else can they make sure you pay the correct amountfleece you?

And then they won't have the bike on record so you'll have go home, then they'll call you to say they've now got it and bring the bike back etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭SeamusG97

Got caught up with a lot of nonsense with this with a 73 honda just after the new system came into place last summer. After four visits to VRO / NCT etc. the following emerged.
    A. If you are registering a non-vingtage bike, make an appointment with the NCT, bring the bike, utility bill etc, etc. etc.
    B. If you are registering a vintage bike and want ordinary plates e.g. 82-WD-1234, make an appointment with NCT, bring the bike etc......
    C. If you are registering a vintage bike and want ZV plates then take your documentation into the VRO (they won't need to see the bike) and get your reg as you would have previously.

1. Took me a trip to VRO ( sorry you need to take the bike to NCT)
    2. Trip to NCT two weeks later after making appointment. 40 miles with old honda. Checks that the frame number maches V5. No money due but - ( sorry you don't have a utility bill to prove who your driver's license says you are)
    3. Another trip to NCT ( Ok now we believe are who you say you are but computer won't issue a reg number - phonecall to head office who say take it to VRO as they can't issue ZV numbers at NCT centre)
    4. Rather determined and purposeful visit to VRO who say sorry ( you need to take to bike to NCT .... ) at which point I say STOP, this being the fourth time I have sat opposite somebody tryng to register the bloody thing and I have wasted two days on it and there isn't even any duty to be paid anyway.
    Person behind counter goes off to find somebody who knows what to do.

Ten minutes later I leave with ZV reg.
    Totally logical isn't it
    ?
    This was last August. Maybe it has changed since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

SeamusG97 wrote: »
    Got caught up with a lot of nonsense with this with a 73 honda just after the new system came into place last summer. After four visits to VRO / NCT etc. the following emerged.
    A. If you are registering a non-vingtage bike, make an appointment with the NCT, bring the bike, utility bill etc, etc. etc.
    B. If you are registering a vintage bike and want ordinary plates e.g. 82-WD-1234, make an appointment with NCT, bring the bike etc......
    C. If you are registering a vintage bike and want ZV plates then take your documentation into the VRO (they won't need to see the bike) and get your reg as you would have previously.

1. Took me a trip to VRO ( sorry you need to take the bike to NCT)
    2. Trip to NCT two weeks later after making appointment. 40 miles with old honda. Checks that the frame number maches V5. No money due but - ( sorry you don't have a utility bill to prove who your driver's license says you are)
    3. Another trip to NCT ( Ok now we believe are who you say you are but computer won't issue a reg number - phonecall to head office who say take it to VRO as they can't issue ZV numbers at NCT centre)
    4. Rather determined and purposeful visit to VRO who say sorry ( you need to take to bike to NCT .... ) at which point I say STOP, this being the fourth time I have sat opposite somebody tryng to register the bloody thing and I have wasted two days on it and there isn't even any duty to be paid anyway.
    Person behind counter goes off to find somebody who knows what to do.

Ten minutes later I leave with ZV reg.
    Totally logical isn't it
    ?
    This was last August.
    Painful
    Maybe it has changed since.
    For the worst knowing this country.

Advertisement