Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roofing extension

• 26-06-2011 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Starting to roof my extension and first problem I can see is keeping the wallplate height the same as the old wallplate which are 75mm would a 4x2 and 4x1 be close I suppose they are 45 and 25 so 70 and im still 5mm short or does neone know offhand what thickness 4x1 rough is. If anyone could lend a hand cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

toshy321 wrote: »
    Starting to roof my extension and first problem I can see is keeping the wallplate height the same as the old wallplate which are 75mm would a 4x2 and 4x1 be close I suppose they are 45 and 25 so 70 and im still 5mm short or does neone know offhand what thickness 4x1 rough is. If anyone could lend a hand cheers.

erm, 4x3?????:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

alproctor wrote: »
    erm, 4x3?????:confused:

Some people use a 4 x 2 and strap and bolt that gown and then fix a 4 x 1 to that.

To be honest im not exactly sure why its done - ive never done it, but ive seen it done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

4 x 1 rough is roughly 100mm x 22mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Build4less.ie

Why dont you use 4x3. That is what was used on the old house so just use the same. Nobody uses 4x2 then 4x1. The other alternative is to use 4x1.5 + 4x1.5 on top of each other this will give you your 4x3 also.

Regards
    Build4less

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

How about making the bedding for the wallplate high enough to level it through to the original?

If you need to use a heavy bed of mortar you can use slate or tile as a packer.

I would still use an angle bracket to secure the wall plate to the wall, they are galvanised and fairly flexible in the lengths available.

Have fun,

Pete.

• Advertisement
Advertisement