Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foraging for fruit in Galway

Options
  • 26-06-2011 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

does anyone know any spots for foraging in galway?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭OldSchool94

betzy2011 wrote: »
    does anyone know any spots for foraging in galway?

thorn bushes

• Registered Users Posts: 9,691 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Would you recongnise a cherry tree? There are a few with ripe fruit around Dublin, google a pic of one, there could be some around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Times are hard when you've to start foraging for fruit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Times are hard when you've to start foraging for fruit.

Free fruit that hasn't been processed in any way or flown in from abroad, seems like a good idea to me, and a nice way to pass some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 betzy2011

times arent that hard, just waste of money buying fruit for homemade jams etc if there is some free.

just want to know if anyone has spotted fruit bushes or trees around galway i could go and pick some!

thorn bushes wasnt helpin, thanx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

I should've put :pac: or :p in & maybe what i said wouldn't have been taken so seriously!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

As kids, we used to go up to Menlo and collect blackberry's.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭famoussheamus

Elderflower is on its last legs at the moment but you can make lovely champers or cordial from it very simply, Berries are having a good run of it at the moment and this bit of sunshine helps a lot. Just picked blackcurrants this morning for jam and freezing. If your looking for brambles/ blackcurrants/ sloes etc it is probably still a bit early. I'm no expert on localised foraging in galway but I would imagine there are foraging groups??? Mushrooms are also doing well at the mo:P

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭greeneyedspirit

plenty of blackberries along the little back roads in the country - I picked about 4 or 5 kg the last few years, great for making jam. And elderflower of course, TONS of the stuff around as well.

thanx, im going on a hunt monday.

• Advertisement

MargeS wrote: »
    As kids, we used to go up to Menlo and collect blackberry's.

sorry, where abouts?

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭tribesman44

i am curious to see where i can forage as well. i love berries and they are so €€€€€ to buy. i've no job, may as well spend my time collecting free food. let me know if you find out any places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭OldSchool94

Actually I spotted a tree of small tomato shaped fruits on a bunch of trees there at the side of Curry's. They're beside the gate you walk through!

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭tribesman44

i recently spotted a patch of chamomile growing alongside the road. not enough to make a cuppa, but still pretty cool nonetheless. i love free food

well, i have found a great spot, full of rosehips, brambles and cob nuts. merlin woods is full of them. brambles are in flower at the moment, so give it a month for the fruit id say. LOADS of rosehips, im making jam at the moment. and the cob nuts arent ready yet either. loads of flowers about, they mite have a use, im not sure, mite be some camomile, just looks llike big daisy to me!

Advertisement