Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

storm kayak

• 26-06-2011 8:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

hi all,looking at a winner storm kayak in matthews of cork,Kayak,spraydeck and paddle for 350.....are these kayaks anygood?...just got my level 2....thanks for any opions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

hi all,looking at a winner storm kayak in matthews of cork,Kayak,spraydeck and paddle for 350.....are these kayaks anygood?...just got my level 2....thanks for any opions

I've never even heard of them but I just asked my friend who is telling me 'Garbage - stay away!'

I suggest looking to the second hand market for a first time kayak. When you pay 350 for a new kayak you're getting 350 worth of a kayak. You will easily find a better quality second hand boat for the same price on Irishfreestyle.com

Also be wary of package deals like the one mentioned above. The paddles and accessories are nearly always cr*p. Save your money until you have a better idea of what you're looking for and what works for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 browsing2010

thanks for advice truley,glad i asked before purchasing:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 browsing2010

thanks for advice truley,glad i asked before purchasing:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭tom_ass19

Heya,

I'd stay away from those shops for kayak, they're generally pointed towards people who don't know much about kayaks or people who just want to have a laugh.

I'd recommend you give munster dive and canoe a shot, their just off bandon road up by lennox's.

http://www.mdac.ie/gallery/main.php

Hope it helps :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28 Sportsmad_Mick

Hi guys
    I have my Winner Storm for 2 years now and it is still going strong. I had been struggling with eskimo rolls until I got this boat and now I can surf away nailing my eskimo rolls no bother at all. My mate bought a kayak for twice the price of mine at the same time- his is now battered even though we have been doing the same runs together-more important though his eskimos are slow and inconsistent in his kayak where he gets it all the time in my Winner.

I guess it is a difference of opinion as to whether it is a good kayak- I have found it great for the price I paid and I just saw online that it has been nominated for kayak of the year so cant be all that bad.

Couldnt agree with ye guys more about where to buy the kayak- go to centres who are using the kayaks themselves so you can see how they wear and also you''ll get to speak with people who use these kayaks everyday rather than some lad in a shop who spends his day on youtube : )

Kayaking rocks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 rossinator

Well honestly it depends whether you want to further your kayaking, If your happy staying at level 2 i'd say go for it as the hard wearing plastic would be perfect for rock bashing and sea lake use. But if you want to progress I would advise something better. Like said about at 350 your getting a kayak worth probably a lot less than 350, cause lets face it someones making a decent profit off this and selling with a paddle and deck.
    2nd hand would be your best option. My first decent boat was a liquid logic hoss that I pick up for 280 and while some people may debate about the quality of the hoss it suited me perfectly up till level 4 . There are bargains out there you just gotta wait for them.

My advice would be to set a budget for about 500 for your first gear purchase, you should get everything you need for around that. Also the resale on 2nd gear doesn't drop too much so in a few months when you progress and decide that you want a better paddle/boat/any gear you shouldn't make a massive loss.

Advertisement