Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sli or upgrade

Options
  • 26-06-2011 9:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi there,

I have a system
    i7 950
    6gb 1600mhz ram
    Corsair 650w psu
    Asus Gtx 460 1gb Top
    Asus P6X58D Mobo

I was thinking about either selling my current graphics card and buying a GTX 580 or sliing my current card. I am playing games in 3d. A few things need to be cleared up, if I was to sell how much would I get? If I was to sli, would my PSU suffice?

In your opinion whats the better route to take? I see from various reviews that a pair of these would perform aswel nearly as a GTX 580.

I am visiting the states in a few weeks and so I could prob pick up a 580 for in the region of 330 euro or 460 dollars. So if my psu did suffice and I picked up a gtx 460 for 180 quid would cost performance ratio be better?

Any help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Revoque1

Hey BigBear

I'm not too sure what you would get for the 460, my guess would be around 80 quid.

Your psu should be fine for both sli and the 580 so long as you dont have 10 case fans or 8 hdd's.

Which is the better route depends on how much money you want to spend as the performance is about the same http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/314?vs=305

sli
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/1gb-evga-gtx-460-se-sc-3600mhz-gddr5-gpu-720mhz-shader-clock-1440mhz-288-cores-dvi-mhdmi

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-020-PN&groupid=701&catid=1914&subcat=1812

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 BigBear321

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply. In regards to fans etc, I have my cpu oc to 4.00ghz a H50 cooler, bout three fans, an ssd and 1 hd. Y a reckon it would still be ok? As I said i play in 3d a lot so do ya reckon the extra vram in a 3gb 580 would outperform the two 460's? Thanks, also 80 quid seems so low to me ha, ive seen less capable 460's on adverts for 140?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Not being smart, but asking price is nothing.

I think you cam get brand new gtx 460 in region 150-200eu.

Alot of people will go for new one better as it's a guarantee that it was not over clocked and worked on high temperatures 24/7

80eu sounds quite reasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 BigBear321

Yea thats true enough i suppose, sure the things still under warranty ive only got it since February. Anyways think im gonna go with the 580 and sell the 460, anyone looking ha? Any recommendations as to which one? And I dont take offence im here for advice so throw it all my way :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

BigBear321 wrote: »
    Yea thats true enough i suppose, sure the things still under warranty ive only got it since February. Anyways think im gonna go with the 580 and sell the 460, anyone looking ha? Any recommendations as to which one? And I dont take offence im here for advice so throw it all my way :D

lol where have you been 30 mins ago :D

just of the phone with misses, she is bringing me a 6870 from austria now lol. 178eu. maybe a bit more expencive then some online shops, but in amazon same brand is 180paunds + delevery!

• Advertisement
Advertisement