Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cool-ER eReader has anybody used for PDF's

Options
  • 26-06-2011 9:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm wondering if anybody has used the Cool-ER reader.

I'm thinking of getting one, my main usage will be for reading journal papers and a bunch of textbooks also in the pdf format*.

Now I understand that it probably won;t be the best thing for reading Journal articles due to occasional diagrams and the 6 inch screen rather than the A4 size however I've heard the basic Kindle isn't great for PDF's either, I'm basically wondering if this device is basically servicable for the tasks I'l be using it for (i don't mind if its not the best as long as its not too useless to use, its only 50 pounds sterling).

thanks

* No money for a Kindle DX or Ipad so please don't tell me to buy one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭amira

I’m looking into buy an ereader myself and I’ve been doing a bit of research, but I don’t have one yet..

I read this about the cool-er

“the four menu buttons are stubborn when they should be yielding. This is made all the more aggravating by the click wheel which won't register two clicks in quick succession for some reason. And it creaks when flexed. Sheds and ships creak"

Thing is that I’ve tried some out on shops and stuff and these things are not the fastest in refreshing when you turn the page.. if you add what I just pasted from the review, I’m not sure you’d be ok to be reading journals and doing research.. well, not sure you, but me.. I sometimes scan through pages, or want to find something I read before.. and want to pass pages quick.. so.. not sure.. but if you have the patience.. then I don’t seem to find a lot of differences between all of them

For me it’s important that they have expandable memory (sd card port), wi fi connection, e-ink (not tft), and touch screen so you can highlight parts of the text, which again, I think it would be useful for what you want it for… that’s my two cents on this

However, I also have questions.. where do you find the books? Is it easier to find epub or kindle format for free books on the web? And I don’t mean the expired copyright free ones.. but kinda more actual ones.. any directions??? Suggestions??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

I found a bit more info on this forum http://www.mobileread.com apparently the firmware updates help it speed up a bit. I know what you mean about skim reading journals, however I expect to have to keep reading on PC and occasionally printing, this purchase will be more for the bus and the times just can;t sit in front of the computer anymore. Has the same screen as the Kindle 2 I think anyway.

Advertisement