Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel Insurance

Options
  • 26-06-2011 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭

With so much small print in the contracts can anyone recommend where to start to look for travel insurance for moving to Oz (approx 1 year with time spent in Asia also)

I had a bad experience dealing with Ace Travel Insurance, they said that they wouldn't cover mobile phones even.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Don't buy anything by Axa or underwritten by them, they are conmen!

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭poodles

Head is wrecked. Spent most of the evening looking for a crowd that are going to cover my phone and laptop in the event of them being stolen etc. but can't find anyone that will.

I don't have house insurance either to put the items under.

There are so many pitfalls in this type of insurance it wrecks your head trying to sift through them.

Maybe someone has experience in making a claim for a iphone / mobile / laptop that they can share!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I know it is boring but I cannot stress this enough!, Read the terms and conditions and go through them with a fine tooth comb as insurance companies will try every trick in the book to avoid paying out. You can usually insure your phone seperately but you need to know what it covers, some policys might not cover you if you just lost it whilst more would require you to have been mugged etc.

I've plenty experience of a claim but I won't go into it as there is nothing to say other than avoid Axa. For the valuables it might be worth getting some sort of cover separately on them, or better still buy something cheap and loseable.

When I was in Oz and Thailand over the last year (separate trips) I took my Netbook, which I really couldn't give a fiddlers if it was stolen, wheras if I took my trusty laptop and it was stolen it would be disastrous, back up your data regulary, make cds/dvds and post them home, when you have confirmed receipt of said cds in Ireland you can then erase the data photos etc. if you are low on Hard drive space etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 kerbear

Moving to Sydney next month (on a year working holiday visa) and going bananas trying to decide on insurance that will cover myself and my beloved camera, iphone and computer. Has anyone any dealings with sorting this stuff as of lately???

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭poodles

I decided in the end not to get travel insurance. Don't bother would be my blunt 2c because there will always be some catch to a policy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Can anyone recommend anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

I've booked with Multitrip.com
    Underwritten by mapfre - it's a Blue Insurance policy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I've booked with Multitrip.com
    Underwritten by mapfre - it's a Blue Insurance policy

How much did you pay?

I was quoted 450 by Trailfinders but found blue insurance online for about €260, iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

cantdecide wrote: »
    How much did you pay?

I was quoted 450 by Trailfinders but found blue insurance online for about €260, iirc.

I bought the backpacker for AUS/NZ for €144

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 kerbear

has anyone experience using these guys and claiming? http://www.travelinsurance.ie/backpacker/

• Advertisement
Advertisement